Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valet Posting Service
    WaccoBB Valet Posting Service

Jordan Burns: Why I’m Running for Junior College Board

Why I’m Running for Junior College Board
    By Jordan Burns

I’m running for our Junior College Board to bring stronger, more effective leadership to one of the most important engines for the economic and social well-being of the families of Sonoma County.

I also believe there is no better place than in our local educational system to bring home the critical need for improving our local economy in line with global imperatives, creating sustainable and regenerative systems, and reversing climate change.

The Junior College is one of our finest local institutions, but it has been greatly mismanaged over the years. I speak from experience. In 2008-09, when I was studying there, I served as Student Trustee. Although I could speak, my vote was not binding. At the time, I watched as extravagant purchases were made on new buildings, and as our beloved Shone Farm Sustainable Ag program was nearly gutted. I stood up for reason, and made a strong case why the changing world requires a new educational focus. Fortunately, Shone Farm’s Sustainable Ag program was saved.

This same lackluster support by the Junior College Board for real solutions to today’s problems has exacerbated a decline in enrollment. Little is being done to encourage satellite campuses and online course options for residents in the rural areas of our county. When students must commute long distances to get to classes, it is not only time-consuming but expensive. In addition, the need for students from rural areas to make such long commutes only further erodes our already poor-quality roads. Due to this cost and hassle, many young people – and mid-career people who could also benefit from college classes – forgo the Junior College opportunity. What a waste! With enrollment down and tuition higher than ever, we need to improve access to higher education while significantly cutting the vehicle miles needed to acquire it. I will work to boost enrollment by bringing more classes to the West County and other outlying areas, and I pledge to work directly with students and their families to find ways to serve their needs with greater financial prudence.

Having graduated from the Junior College with highest honors just five years ago, I am painfully aware that there is virtually no communication between our Board and the students, faculty or other government agencies. This needs to change. In fact, even though I am now simply a candidate for the Board, I am soliciting the ideas of voters about improvements they would like to see at the Junior College. Anyone wishing to have his or her voice heard is cordially invited to take the survey on my website, www.ElectJordanBurns.com.

The All Faculty Association has wholeheartedly endorsed my candidacy, as has the entire Sebastopol City Council. I have received the endorsement of Senator Noreen Evans, Assemblymember Wesley Chesbro, former Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey, former West County Supervisors Mike Reilly and Ernie Carpenter, and the Sonoma County Democratic Party. It is worth noting that my opponent’s views are generally poles apart from my own progressive outlook on such issues as protecting the environment, women’s rights and marriage equality. I will, however, take a more conservative position in regard to financial oversight; I believe in rigorous fiscal accountability in all decisions that affect Junior College students and staff.

Please go to my website, www.ElectJordanBurns.com for more information about my candidacy and ways you can plug into my campaign. Again, please take my survey and let me know what you would like to see improved at SRJC. Your input should be part of the public process. I pledge to make it such. I would appreciate your vote for a fresh, modern perspective for our Junior College.

Jordan Burns, a sixth-generation Sebastopol resident, is executive director of an educational nonprofit.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: Jordan Burns: Why I’m Running for Junior College Board

I have endorsed Jordan Burns for SRJC Board of Trustees. He has visited our Sebastopol Grange and I have spoken with him. His support of the JC's Shone Farm is important. Burns is articulate and inspiring. He certainly has a lot of people who put up signs around Sebastopol that urge people to vote for him. One reason that I support him is that he is 30-years old, whereas his opponent has been a Trustee for 29 years, which means that he is probably around my 70-years-old.

I think the Board could benefit from some new blood by someone closer to the age of most of the JC's students. As a Student Trustee and JC graduate, he has been an insider. Being on the JC Board could be a next step for this young man to enter the Sonoma County political arena, which could also benefit from some new blood, in my opinion.

[See Jordan's post about why he is running earlier on this thread here]
    Last edited by Barry; 10-22-2014 at 02:28 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    loi
    Supporting Member

I second that. - I will also vote for Jordan Burns for West county SRJC College Board. He's been a Student Trustee member so he's seen what needs to change and is prepared to get to it. He's also committed to increasing accessibility for students and the community, and increasing and encouraging communication and transparency (which is great if you care how your tax dollars are spent).

He's also been my neighbor for several years so I can personally attest to what a upstanding and generous person he is both personally and to the community - he started a non profit - The Children's Humanitarian International after doing volunteer work in Africa) which helps teens get involved to help teens in Africa. https://www.facebook.com/ChildrensHu...nInternational

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I have endorsed Jordan Burns for SRJC Board of Trustees. He has visited our Sebastopol Grange and I have spoken with him. His support of the JC's Shone Farm is important. Burns is articulate and inspiring. He certainly has a lot of people who put up signs around Sebastopol that urge people to vote for him. One reason that I support him is that he is 30-years old, whereas his opponent has been a Trustee for 29 years, which means that he is probably around my 70-years-old.

I think the Board could benefit from some new blood by someone closer to the age of most of the JC's students. As a Student Trustee and JC graduate, he has been an insider. Being on the JC Board could be a next step for this young man to enter the Sonoma County political arena, which could also benefit from some new blood, in my opinion.

[See Jordan's post about why he is running earlier on this thread here]

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's a recent debate of the SRJC Board candidates. Their opening statements start at the 5:49 mark:

8. Gratitude expressed by: