Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #121

Re: Sebastopol Trail Makers needs your support for new bike trails

The reason people arrive at "solutions" is usually because they care enough about the place they live to spend their valuable time thinking about it. That it is "painful" for you to hear suggests you have a better idea as to how we should proceed with the economic development Sebastopol will be hard-pressed to avoid. Let's hear it. Stop ridiculing. Start sharing. There are many on this forum that take this approach. Please spend your energy in a more positive direction instead of all the naysaying.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nancypreb: View Post
    How is it that so many don't understand.....
    Last edited by Barry; 11-16-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #122
    nancypreb

Au contraire!

1) Spend less time thinking, more time learning.

2) hold Barney Aldridge accountable to producing what he promised. ( if you were there, Eeeeeow, you would have heard me speak to this just last week at the Planning Commission meeting. But you weren't, were you.)

3) remember #1

Nuff said. Eeeeeow, were you there last Wednesday? Introduce yourself on Tuesday. Sometimes saying "no," is
    saying "yes." But I don't expect you to understand that. Sad.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    The reason people arrive at "solutions" is usually because they care enough about the place they live to spend their valuable time thinking about it. That it is "painful" for you to hear suggests you have a better idea as to how we should proceed with the economic development Sebastopol will be hard-pressed to avoid. Let's hear it. Stop ridiculing. Start sharing. There are many on this forum that take this approach. Please spend your energy in a more positive direction instead of all the naysaying.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #123

Kai, I really appreciate your participation in this discussion. Though we differ in opinions you take the time to respond directly to the different perspectives and ideas directly. Thank you!

Bypasses are something that were discussed at last Wed GPAC meeting. It appears that the concept will be included in our GPlan update. Your observations in Calistoga are a nice reminder to us that bypasses are effective.

It's interesting that you suggest a multi-story parking structure. I'm guessing you're new to this area or at least new to this forum. Anyway, I believe that the overwhelming majority of residents would be highly opposed to this idea, but maybe not, who knows. It would not be my first choice nor would it be consistent with the city's goals to keep our small town feel. Additionally a multi-story parking structure would also be inconsistent with our stated “green” policy. Parking structures are usually built from cement. Cement out-gases Co2. Co2 is a greenhouse gas. Greenhouse gases are a primary factor in global warming. There are other materials that can be used instead of cement but currently those are very expensive and would possibly push the costs of such an endeavor into the realm of prohibitive.

Regarding tourism, it's a slippery path to traverse. Tourism is a big buck industry, once you get that ball rolling you're not going to be able to stop or control it. The players involved are not likely to make the investment to keep it small.

It is clear that the world you would like to see is one where money and oil have no place however you are inconsistent in your vision. You suggest that tourism wouldn't be so bad and you have posited the idea that it would be a plus to take in “lots of their foreign money”. How do you reconcile this idea with your vision of “eschew(ing) our reliance on money”? You further suggest that we adopt a “veggie-based” economy. Is the idea that we develop bio-diesel jet planes to bring us those tourists from around the world? Think about it for a moment Kai, tourism is one of the highest carbon foot-print industries you could think of as an economy for any town. From the petrol based travel to move all those tourists back and forth to the little tiny plastic containers of shampoo, hair rinse, individually wrapped soaps and toilet paper and of course the daily regimen of laundering hundreds of pounds of linens. Let's not forget all of those slick shiny brochures that get handed out, left on tables, etc, etc, and eventually end up in our landfills. Most all of the employment opportunities created by the tourist industry are low paying service jobs. The problem is most people cannot afford to live in Sebastopol with a low paying service job. That means most of the folks coming to work in our tourist economy will be driving in from Santa Rosa, Rohnert Park or maybe even Petaluma. They will go home with their hard earned dollars and spend their money in their town where they can obtain reasonably priced essential goods and services. All the while Sebastopol will be catering to tourists from around the world and reaping in their dollars. How does all that fit with our town's often stated desire to create a localized economy and an environmentally sustainable community?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kai Daniel: View Post
    I agree that land is better left unpenetrated by new road structures. I think citing budgetary obstacles is a silly notion, if it's expensive we'll just have to save up for it. We can talk about money management, but I'd rather the city just shut up and started managing our money better.
    Tourism is an interesting issue. I'm all for attracting people from all over the world to come. It is a testament to our awesomeness that people want to visit our town. We have one of the best farmers markets on the west coast, let's flaunt it! However, we don't want the city to turn into a teaming mass of gawking tourists. I thought the idea that Sebastopol at one time intended to become more like Santa Cruz was interesting. SC has a large multi-story parking structure just a short walk from down town. What about that abandoned cement processing lot over on Morris? That would make a nice parking structure, not too far from the proposed Barlow Hotel... We could easily accommodate a larger influx of people. Especially if all they want to do is visit for a week, give us lots of their foreign money, and then be on their way. I think Sebastopol would be more attractive with another scenic bike trail.
    Here's another thought, and I don't think it would effect tourism that much. A bypass. Calistoga has Tubbs lain, I've driven past Calistoga 50 times, and through it only once. The trucks, the diesels, the commuters, oh how they would prefer to skirt around this traffic cluster that is Sebastopol. The people who want Sebastopol can still drive here, but there will be an option if all you want is to go through. I don't have any idea how this might be possible, but I just conceived of it, so I know it is. In fact, I just created a parallel universe where it exists already.
    How about we all just eschew our reliance on money and oil and adopt a veggie-based economy?

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #124

Please stop all your empty lip service about the “naysayers” providing alternatives. You are not interested in alternatives or discussion you seem only to be inclined toward attempts at ridicule and argument. I personally have offered alternatives, specifically to you in response to another one of your empty requests for such. I still have not heard one single utterance of a response from you to those alternative. Others have engaged in intelligent discourse on these “alternatives” and this topic in general inclusive of the many twists and turns that this discussion has taken. But you Eeeeeeow, still nothing from you other than more of your disingenuous, rants. What exactly is your intent in pointing your finger and calling all with opinions contrary to yours “naysayers”? I would suggest working on your communication skills and engaging in discourse with something of substance if you have any desire to be taken seriously.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post

7. TopTop #125
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    The very lengthy staff report on the trails is now available on the city's web site.
    Here's the link. It's rather involved. Doesn't sound like anything is going to happen soon, but productive work to sort out the complicated project is continuing.

Again this we discussed at the Sebastopol City Council meeting this Tuesday, Nov 18th at the Youth Annex of the Community Center. Meeting starts at 6pm, I'm guessing the trails topic will come up sometime after 6:30pm.

I'll see you there!

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #126
    nancypreb

I've finally put the pieces together. I knew I recognized Mr. Eeeeeow's name.... Bill Shortridge, member of Sebastopol design review board and host of the Gravenstein Blogspot. https://www.thegravenstein.blogspot.com/. I am so incredibly disappointed in you, Bill, that for someone who wields some significant influence in the decision making of our community and hosts a community forum, that you are so adverse to opposing views and fail to yield to community member's real concerns. That you attack and dismiss (instead of address) the concerns of our seniors who live at Burbank Heights; challenge (instead of encourage) people to bring their concerns to public meetings- it's so very disappointing. I've met you once, in a lovely enough encounter outside my home, and that is why I am so very saddened by the realization that you would rather ram this thing through instead of hear people's concerns and feedback and address them, here or anywhere, now or later. Instead, you just want to sling a label onto the "Negative Naysayers," and be done with it. Something tells me it was you I ran into at the coffee shop the other day without you actually introducing yourself, but you didn't have the courage to introduce yourself, all I heard was "So that's you!" And I responded, "Yes, that's me," to a man I vaguely recognized. So what I know is this, Bill. You know where I live. I'm pretty darn visible to my community. You have even offered your support for what I am clearing "about." How could you possibly then be so dismissive of the concerns that I and other's like me have. Do you really not think our best interest is not the future welfare of this town? Is it because it would be personally beneficial to you out there on Pleasant Hill Rd. that you don't care what members of the community who would be directly affected have to say?

It's all so clear now.

10. TopTop #127

Nancy, If i was worried about disappointing people, i wouldn't have volunteered for the DRB. But thanks for your input. Not adverse to opposing views, but your attempt at intimidating through revealing me in this forum is indicative of the type of approach i am opposed to. I don't know anyone on this forum who doesn't know who i am, btw. I'm not hiding and am quite proud that i am as involved as i am. And, yes, i've heard the Pleasant Hill Rd. criticism before, but we spend our lives downtown. So whether it's my opinion or that i am of opposing views... So be it. I will always speak my mind. I look forward to seeing you at the meeting tomorrow night to discuss if you like. Oh, and i haven't been in a coffee shop since the opening of the new Hard Core. I drink all my coffee at home very early in the morning. Thought i'd share that with everyone before you did. But i digress. This forum has turned its back on the main issue, hasn't it?

I've finally put the pieces together. I knew I recognized Mr. Eeeeeow's name.... Bill Shortridge, member of Sebastopol design review board and host of the Gravenstein Blogspot. https://www.thegravenstein.blogspot.com/. I am so incredibly disappointed in you, Bill, ...
    It's all so clear now.

11. TopTop #128
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

OK, that's enough personal squabbling folks!

Come on out tomorrow night and share your concerns and desires with the city council.

12. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

13. TopTop #129
    Orm Embar

It's taken me a while to type this and I am guessing that other posts have happened since I started, so please bear with me if this post seems out of place.

A point of clarification, to address concerns I have read here and elsewhere:

It seems that some people are concerned that these proposed trails will be decided upon without community input.

I am wondering if it is thought that tomorrow night is the only opportunity to stop or alter these trails?

That is not my understanding of the process, nor would I be ok bringing this proposal to the Council if I thought tomorrow is the end-all-and-be-all of this project. Sebastopol TrailMakers is bringing a proposal to City Council tomorrow (Tues) night and asking the Council to start the process of notifying and asking the people of our community to weigh in on the idea. We need public meetings at a variety of times that work for those who work during the day AND those who cannot travel from home at night.

I want our community to look at safer routes that meet the needs of those who do not have access to (or choose not to use) motorized vehicle transportation and want to walk, ride bike or wheelchair to downtown. Our current infrastructure does not meet these needs. Bike lanes on the road is a start, but do not address the needs of people who are not confident bike riders, those who are wheelchair bound, or those who want to walk away from a busy thoroughfare.

We have an idea that would meet those needs, but it needs to be considered by the larger community. Hopefully our collective participation can come up with ways to address the concerns that are brought up about these trails. The concerns cannot be addressed, though, by the small group that is proposing the trails. The concerns need to be brought out and addressed by our entire community, then they can be placed into the Master Plan with strong support by the "people".

That is the process I am asking our Council to initiate. I am not asking our Council members to swallow this proposal and approve it without due process. Please come and participate tomorrow night and I hope the Council decides to move forward in hosting public meetings so I can invite you all to participate more in the future.

Warm Regards,
    Larkin

14. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

15. TopTop #130
    nancypreb

I will try this again.... Barry, please stop censoring.....

Personal squabbling?!! This is a member of our community who has been appointed by our city council, who we voted for, to use his expertise and knowledge to do the will of the people.... and this is how he "listens" to his community?! This is not personal attacking.... this is accountability! And we are not remotely off the topic of this thread.... this thread is about the decision making process about the future of our town, and how the fix is in before ever hearing from the people. That's is why all you want to hear is the "support" and not the concerns. That's why you ridicule those who speak from another perspective on this thread instead of considering them. That's why you, Barr-Y, close the dialogue down and call it "moderating."

....Ooooh look, Barry has given me my very own thread! I guess now, you all can find me at "Nancy and the Multi-use Trail." Just like what happened when we were discussing the farmers market. I guess I'm not part of the "community."

You know what, you're right Barry, you're right Bill, and Larkin, I guess you're right too.... it's just a little bike trail. What's the big deal? You go ahead and let the rest of us know when we should think seriously about it, and how seriously. That way we won't be wasting anyone's time.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #131
    cynctysings

Larkin, Thank you for your clear and calm post. I, too, am ready for this to be taken into the community... and, hopefully, it will be. I am not opposed to finding alternative means to traverse the town and the neighborhoods we all cherish. I am in favor of it. I hope to learn more at the meeting tomorrow and will introduce myself to those of you that I don't know who have spent time communicating your positions and thoughts on this thread. It is important to me to know my neighbors, no matter what our opinions on any given subject are. Ultimately, we are all in this together. See you at the meeting. Cynthi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Orm Embar: View Post
    It's taken me a while to type this and I am guessing that other posts have happened since I started, so please bear with me if this post seems out of place...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-18-2014 at 02:04 PM.

18. TopTop #132
    Kai Daniel

I think it would be cool of there was a bike lane on the side of the road all the way from the Hook and Ladder to Bodega Bay. Then you wouldn't have to be a reckless speed-demon to safely bike to the coast! The proposed path from Watertrough down through Burbank... I can see how it might be impossible for a number of reasons, and I don't agree with anyone who tries to push it through without looking at and seriously addressing all the factors.

Thank you for calling me out on my inexperience, and conflicting personal viewpoints. I'm only 25, and it's hard to practice good dharma in this messed up world. On one hand, I love the green movement and everything it stands for. I think we should all reduce our carbon foot print as much as possible, and all drive electric cars. On the other hand, I'm really excited about hopefully owning a truck soon. The fact that it only gets 18mpg only bothers me a little because it's a 4x4 stick-shift toyota, and something about that really turns me on. Life is paradox. Give me an all electric solar powered truck capable of hauling a load of compost 100 miles, and I will drive it, but I'll still miss gas.

For the record, I think the model of tourism that Rustie describes is a terrible idea. I say we redefine tourism, and get to know tourists and invite them into our homes and serve them homemade stew and give them personalized tours on bikes and electric shuttles! Not usher them off to an expensive hotel and give them cheap crap in a fancy wrapper. I think you are probably right, Santa Cruz, is more of a big city and Sebastopol is more of a small town. Is not the translation of Sebastopol "small city". How about instead of a huge parking structure we invest in a bunch of really slick bike storage options? Also, how about we get the state to build a modern train between here and Oakland... like they have in Europe? You know, public transportation...? Let's build a community people will want to come to and stay for months!

Nancy, I am sorry you are in such relation to our farmers market, because I see that it is beautiful, and it is good. You have roots that go back to the founding of our town, how can anyone be more connected than you? The idea that you would be banned from coming to our main cultural event saddens me. Maybe you can come back sooner? I think people here would forgive you if you changed your tune...I have forgiven you already and I don't even know you. God bless....

19. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

20. TopTop #133
    79paul

Just a couple of items bouncing around in my head as we lurch towards Tuesday.

- Rustie, you have mentioned an electric shuttle "For less than $200,000 the city could buy 5 low speed 15 passenger electric shuttle buses fully equipped with wheelchair ramps, floor mounts and tie downs. Throw on some bike racks and now you have a small fleet of non-petrol based local transportation that can service the entire community. Increase the bus/shuttle stops throughout our neighborhoods, core town and to the Joe Rodota Trail, establish a schedule that runs in 20 minute intervals seven days a week, provide door to door service for disabled folks and stop or limit downtown traffic. Apply for some grant funding and now we can expand the proposed project and still be under the bike path's tap into city coffers."

I think you may have to add an extra zero to that figure, especially if you actually expect to have humans driving them. You can't buy any such public transport bus for under $75k each, plus maintenance, drivers (unionized with benefits, right?), bus stops, etc. You would need at least 6 to run on your proposed schedule. I too would love to see a local shuttle, but to equate the two is a red herring.

The majority of the funds to construct the trails could be covered by State and Federal funding sources. The $250-300k cost to the city over 30 years (with very low interest) will be about the same as what Sebastopol is spending on constructing a new storage space for the fire department. A small price for the amount of benefit to residents.

- Those who decry "tourists" have probably never tried to run a retail business. Being a small business owner is tough. The idea of local business owners turning away tourist customers due to their carbon footprint, be it airline miles or shampoo bottles, is ludicrous. People will travel to places they find interesting, places that welcome them, to mingle with people whose values they share. Instead of the derogatory name "tourists", maybe we should think of them as guests. We have an opportunity to create industries that cater to locals and tourists on our terms, and we shouldn't mind sharing our paths with visitors. In terms of tax structure and demographics, we need a mix of local and outside revenue. It may be hard for some who imagine we can somehow survive on legal agriculture, but we are not an island economically, so we should play to our strengths. We're hardly in danger of becoming Disneyland. If you doubt that, ask a struggling business owner, who happens to employ local real people.

- There has been no talk of imminent domain in the planning of these trails. The Trailmakers have been working tirelessly for several years to reach out to land owners to willingly allow paths to skirt or cross private property. Gentle persuasion and logic, not arm twisting.

- Tuesday's meeting is only a step in the process. No one is ramming anything anywhere. The purpose of the meeting is to 1) Add these trails to the Sebastopol Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan, and 2) Start the Feasibility Study to work out the many details. These steps are very low cost and are required to get the projects moving.

There will still be plenty of opportunity for discussion and compromise.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #134
    nancypreb

So you should know a few things, Kia.

1) There use to be an electric train from here to Petaluma, and from there to the ferry that could take you to Oakland.

2) Public transportation is a much more interesting topic to pursue!!! I am grateful that the bike trails issue has brought public transit to stronger light as it is far more effective and efficient.

3) The city has been promoting agri-tourism and home-stays. HOWEVER, they have made a caveat that guests can only stay in your actual home, not in a granny unit or convert detached garage; thereby, limiting the individuals like myself who would be happy to serve stew and gravy. Instead they're wanting to put in a fancy shmancy Hotel Barlow (60 rooms) and ignore the promise of the Barlow development all together, for the sake of the gross tourism Rustie refers to.They are ignoring putting dollars into the hands of those who live here and would rather it go to a hospitality franchise. The meeting on that is Thursday. Hope you're there!!

4) There's nothing to forgive in way of farmer's market.... it was part of a settlement agreement, a concession rather. I did nothing wrong. Period. It's just the price I pay for speaking out loud and speaking my truth.... no fresh fruits and veggies for me! Just know that that's how it works around here. If you speak your truth out loud, you get banned (or at least your own thread.... right,Barry?!) To ask me to change my tune is like asking a musician to play a style other than his/her own. My tune is a harmonic balance to the tune that you already hear. You just don't realize that.... but there are plenty of others who do.

5) I forgive you too, Kia. If you ever want to learn to milk a cow, castrate a goat, groom a horse, or skin a rabbit, I'm always happy to teach the way Sebastopol use to be.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kai Daniel: View Post
    ...Thank you for calling me out on my inexperience, and conflicting personal viewpoints. I'm only 25, and it's hard to practice good dharma in this messed up world....

For the record, I think the model of tourism that Rustie describes is a terrible idea. I say we redefine tourism, and get to know tourists and invite them into our homes and serve them homemade stew and give them personalized tours on bikes and electric shuttles! Not usher them off to an expensive hotel and give them cheap crap in a fancy wrapper....how about we get the state to build a modern train between here and Oakland... like they have in Europe? You know, public transportation...? Let's build a community people will want to come to and stay for months!

Nancy, I am sorry you are in such relation to our farmers market, because I see that it is beautiful, and it is good. You have roots that go back to the founding of our town, how can anyone be more connected than you? The idea that you would be banned from coming to our main cultural event saddens me. Maybe you can come back sooner? I think people here would forgive you if you changed your tune...I have forgiven you already and I don't even know you. God bless....
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-18-2014 at 02:08 PM.

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #135
    santoshimatajaya
    Supporting Member

i can see the advantage in both the bike/walking trail and public transit and whole heartedly support Kai's insights into the nature of this town wanting to preserve this small intimate natural-oriented partially rural community and creating community on a real level, person to person, rather than typical mainstream consummerism, big scale=big money

we all need money at this point in the game yet we realize how much we all need something in common human-wise where communing is a spontaneous and joyful need provided through things like the Market and other ways of sharing being together

as far as this woman being ostrasized from the Market that does not sound like a unanimous decision but one that may have been made by one or two and sounds very harsh and exclusive rather than true resolution and inclusive tho i don't know the circumstance of the incident/s

seems there is room for everyone to choose their way to experience and learn whether or not these choices work different strokes for different folks, we're not going to change that tho alot of consideration is needed in the process of imagining, choosing/committing and creating/building it's great to have this WaccoBB forum to discuss and hear

Here's to the wonder ful ness of the process!

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #136

I didn't forget to add any zeros Paul. There are all kinds of electric bus/shuttle vehicles available. Size, speed and range are just some of the factors dictating prices. A full size electric bus that has the ability to replace a standard petrol powered bus is in the neighborhood of $300,000 plus. The stats I provided in speed, range, capacity and amenities represent electric shuttle buses available for just under $30,000/each. I don't make this stuff up, nor do I present what I think something is unless I qualify it as such. I researched this and those were the results. I don't know where or how you have come to the conclusive information that you “can't buy any such public transport bus for under $75K”. That statement is simply not true. I would suggest that, if you have not already done so, you do a little research into this particular subject before you make such matter-of-fact sweeping bold statements. Based on my research, 5 buses at $30k each is a total of $150,000. Of course we have to add tax, license, transport, etc which is why I used an estimated cost in the vicinity of $200,000. Additionally there are state and federal grant funding sources available for projects of this nature as well. The FTA has some sources, one example is the Clean Fuels Grant Program.

In regards to maintenance, drivers etc. I have already addressed that in a previous post. Those are not capital investment considerations. Those costs are ongoing operating expenses and as such are not included in your initial cost evaluations. Operating and G&A expenses are offset by revenues. To include the consideration of these expenses in the capital investment evaluation is incorrect at best. To be further using those operating costs as part of your analysis in a comparative study of the two is disingenuous. Let us not forget that these bike paths will also incur ongoing operating expenses. We will need maintenance, clean-up, and security, as a few examples. One difference is that a transit system would of course generate revenues to help offset at the very least some, if not all of its operating costs whereas the bike paths will be a constant 100% economic burden to the city and its taxpayers. Has that factor been considered and included in the proposal?

We will always have visitors from outside of our area. Technically folks from S.F. visiting friends in Sebastopol are tourists by definition. The point is not what we call them. The point is whether or not we are engaged in actively reaching out to draw them into our community en mass, as does a tourist based economy. If in fact we choose to take the tourist path then we need to step up to the plate and take responsibility for being a part of our environmental problem rather than a solution. This is a slippery path and you cannot expect to open the can and control how many worms crawl out.

Small business owners in our community absolutely are having a difficult time. I suspect the problem is two-fold. One, commercial rents have become extremely high in our town, as have residential rentals and property values. This drives the cost of living up, drives locals out and you're left with no one to buy your overpriced goods and services. Two, an overwhelming number of small businesses in our town do not provide essential goods and services. If locals need a shoe repair, a dry cleaner, underwear, linens, fabric, diapers etc, they leave town and drive into SR, or maybe RP, Petaluma, etc. Now rumor has it that another trend is surfacing in Sebastopol. This is the sale of residential properties being bought up by out-of-town investors &/or developers. The buyers are not living in these dwellings nor are they flipping them, they are renting them out at a monthly rate greater than your average working class wage earner can afford. Certainly our struggling small businesses are not going to be able to pay wages commensurate with the income required to live in our town. Result, they will no longer be employing “local real people”. Instead, their employees will most likely be driving in from SR. I think you can see that if you get this ball rolling the potential to reach critical mass is greater than was expected, perceived or desired.

If in fact this is the vision our community is yearning for I am certainly not going to try to push another agenda. My point is simply, are we noticing where we are headed? If we look around and the majority says “yes and that's OK” then I would merely suggest we stop giving lip-service to clever little terms like “environmentally friendly”, “localized economy” and a “green community”. It is my opinion that it is this very inconsistency in our actions vs our words that drives the perception held by many of our county neighbors that Sebastopol residents can't be taken seriously. If this is not the direction we want to go in then I would suggest we get very busy taking real action instead of gathering to paint our sidewalks and committing our city's resources to consider a redundant and questionable, at best, multi-use trail.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 79paul: View Post
    Just a couple of items bouncing around in my head as we lurch towards Tuesday.

- Rustie, you have mentioned an electric shuttle "For less than $200,000 the city could buy 5 low speed 15 passenger electric shuttle buses fully equipped with wheelchair ramps, floor mounts and tie downs. Throw on some bike racks and now you have a small fleet of non-petrol based local transportation that can service the entire community. Increase the bus/shuttle stops throughout our neighborhoods, core town and to the Joe Rodota Trail, establish a schedule that runs in 20 minute intervals seven days a week, provide door to door service for disabled folks and stop or limit downtown traffic. Apply for some grant funding and now we can expand the proposed project and still be under the bike path's tap into city coffers."

I think you may have to add an extra zero to that figure, especially if you actually expect to have humans driving them. You can't buy any such public transport bus for under $75k each, plus maintenance, drivers (unionized with benefits, right?), bus stops, etc. You would need at least 6 to run on your proposed schedule. I too would love to see a local shuttle, but to equate the two is a red herring.

The majority of the funds to construct the trails could be covered by State and Federal funding sources. The $250-300k cost to the city over 30 years (with very low interest) will be about the same as what Sebastopol is spending on constructing a new storage space for the fire department. A small price for the amount of benefit to residents.

- Those who decry "tourists" have probably never tried to run a retail business. Being a small business owner is tough. The idea of local business owners turning away tourist customers due to their carbon footprint, be it airline miles or shampoo bottles, is ludicrous. People will travel to places they find interesting, places that welcome them, to mingle with people whose values they share. Instead of the derogatory name "tourists", maybe we should think of them as guests. We have an opportunity to create industries that cater to locals and tourists on our terms, and we shouldn't mind sharing our paths with visitors. In terms of tax structure and demographics, we need a mix of local and outside revenue. It may be hard for some who imagine we can somehow survive on legal agriculture, but we are not an island economically, so we should play to our strengths. We're hardly in danger of becoming Disneyland. If you doubt that, ask a struggling business owner, who happens to employ local real people.

- There has been no talk of imminent domain in the planning of these trails. The Trailmakers have been working tirelessly for several years to reach out to land owners to willingly allow paths to skirt or cross private property. Gentle persuasion and logic, not arm twisting.

- Tuesday's meeting is only a step in the process. No one is ramming anything anywhere. The purpose of the meeting is to 1) Add these trails to the Sebastopol Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan, and 2) Start the Feasibility Study to work out the many details. These steps are very low cost and are required to get the projects moving.

There will still be plenty of opportunity for discussion and compromise.

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #137
    Kai Daniel

First (this will seem off-topic to some maybe) the VBC was awesome, we painted the actual street, and it brought the community together in a really cool constructive way. I hope it becomes a long-lasting tradition (and judging by the number of young people participating like myself, I bet it will).

I think it's important to draw a distinction between tourists and guests. Anyone with a connection to Sebastopol, folks with people they know who live here, or deep affinities to the area, should be considered guests and treated as such. Tourists are people who are probably just passing through and maybe have never been here before. How we treat those people will depend entirely on how they treat us.

The Hotel in the Barlow... I'm a guy who likes to see function in everything. We already have two big hotels in town, do we really need another? Do all our current rooms fill up during events? I'm cool with a new hotel, especially if it's as neat and modern as the Barlow seems to be, but only if we actually need it.

Rustie, you are clearly the champion of this tread, I dig the purple. I especially liked your last post. I think you really hit the nail on the head in regards to outsourcing of local jobs and the taking over of foreign investors. Sebastopol may be heading in the direction of loosing its autonomy, if it has any to loose.

I'm excited now to hear about how tonight's city council meeting goes... I would be there, but I things that need attending to... on that note. Cheerio!

P.S. Thanks to all for the appreciation and gratitude! I like the way this conversation has evolved.

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

30. TopTop #138
    AllorrahBe

I was there along with several residents of Burbank Heights & Orchards, as well as the eloquent community leader who spoke dissent on behalf of Luther Burbank's Gold Ridge Experiment Farm, a national treasure and one-of-a-kind property that must not be desecrated for any reason. Countless volunteers have given countless hours for many years to preserve the entire property, as well as the cemetery, which I understand originally belonged to Burbank as well. However, the moles and voles and gophers or whatever creatures tunnel under this entire hill... they made the soil so unworkable and they ate so much of his products that he donated the land for the cemetery; he could not make the whole thing his farm!

Just imagine trying to put a ten-foot-wide Class 1 Multi-Use Trail right across the farm, endangering or causing to be moved or destroyed some of the historic plants and trees, effectively killing this treasure. The alternative suggested of going around the back of BH&O and the Farm and along the path to the cemetery seems to have been dismissed, or perhaps the mapmakers were not able to accommodate the suggested route for various other reasons. I am so grateful the Council seems inclined to take a slow approach and be really certain they look at all points of view... hopefully, most of them, before hiring the next consultant!

Thank you, Barry, for providing this much-needed sounding board; thanks to all of you who have come forth on this thread. I AM now cautiously optimistic the multi-use trail will NOT cross Burbank properties and all will be well.

Rev. BE
    Last edited by Barry; 11-19-2014 at 01:22 PM.

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

32. TopTop #139
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

There a couple of issues that are getting intertwined with the multi-use (and multi-purpose) trails discussion that I would like to see as separate threads: shuttle service and tourism. The multi-use trails proposal only tangentially touches on these topics. These are pleasant side benefits. If these were the only benefits I don't think they would have anywhere near the support they have now, and I doubt they would even be proposed.

Yet both are very worthy topics on their own right. You are welcome to kick off a thread on one of these topics or I will, once the trails discussion settles down.

The key concern, is the route of the trails. I'd love to see somebody take a problematic section of the trail, or one of the more generalized concerns and suggest a solution. Any new concerns would also be welcome.

I'd also like to see (on this thread or the new city council trails thread) how you think the city council should handle this apparently contentious and important issue.

33. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

34. TopTop #140

City Council has pulled the trigger on how to handle the trail issue. At present it would seem that there is no room left for what we think they should do, that's what Tues meeting was about. Anyway, they unanimously voted to “direct staff to return with an outline of a public process and preliminary budget to consider the study zone areas from the Joe Rodota Trailhead to south of town and from the Joe Rodota trail to the west of town for consideration of amendments to the Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan, including any need for initial professional consultant assistance and CEQA Analysis.” The preference is for a Class 1 when possible and other classes when Class 1 is not feasible. There are no specific routes related to the study zone areas. I was left with the impression that, with the exception of John, they very clearly did not want to convey inclusion &/or consideration of the Sebastopol Trailmakers proposal.

Regarding the “tangential” issues, I appreciate that you allowed them to remain on this thread. Agreed, they certainly have enough merit to occupy their own place in discourse but I think that they were important to this thread while leading up to the city council meeting. Just as an aside, both issues, tourism and transit were mentioned at the meeting (not by me by the way).

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    There a couple of issues that are getting intertwined with the multi-use (and multi-purpose) trails discussion that I would like to see as separate threads: shuttle service and tourism. The multi-use trails proposal only tangentially touches on these topics. These are pleasant side benefits. If these were the only benefits I don't think they would have anywhere near the support they have now, and I doubt they would even be proposed. ...

35. Gratitude expressed by:

36. TopTop #141

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Rustie: View Post
    City Council has pulled the trigger on how to handle the trail issue. At present it would seem that there is no room left for what we think they should do, that's what Tues meeting was about. Anyway, they unanimously voted to “direct staff to return with an outline of a public process and preliminary budget to consider the study zone areas from the Joe Rodota Trailhead to south of town and from the Joe Rodota trail to the west of town for consideration of amendments to the Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan, including any need for initial professional consultant assistance and CEQA Analysis.” The preference is for a Class 1 when possible and other classes when Class 1 is not feasible. There are no specific routes related to the study zone areas. I was left with the impression that, with the exception of John, they very clearly did not want to convey inclusion &/or consideration of the Sebastopol Trailmakers proposal.

Regarding the “tangential” issues, I appreciate that you allowed them to remain on this thread. Agreed, they certainly have enough merit to occupy their own place in discourse but I think that they were important to this thread while leading up to the city council meeting. Just as an aside, both issues, tourism and transit were mentioned at the meeting (not by me by the way).
    You've gone down to defeat graciously, Rustie, after fighting the good fight.
    At the risk of being accused of beating a dead horse, I do want to object, Barry, to characterizing the issue of transit as tangential to the issue of building the trails. It really isn't a tangent. Why? Because of the reality of limited resources--i.e., limited money. Unless the pool of funds in Sebatopol, unlike the rest of the world, has no limit, the money that will be allocated to improving bike trails is unavailable to improving public transit. At least for now. (And unfortunately, time is another limited resource.) Still, viva democracy.

37. TopTop #142
    nancypreb

I don't think there was defeat at all. I mean, we all say we're for bike trails, but we want to put together as viable a plan as possible before spending money on feasibility studies. And most certainly, the people spoke and I think they were heard (by every council member but John)... there needs to be more public processing before adopting it into the General Plan. That's what I understood the council did. 1. They want to see a well-laid out approach to getting more public input on a viable trail and 2. They want to know how much we'd be looking at spending with the consideration of our overall budget. I don't see it as defeat, I see it as wise compromise.

And I totally agree that transit is not a tangential topic. We should be looking at a comprehensive approach to our transportation needs. If what people want is a safe way to get to downtown AND a safe way to navigate through it, with transit you have less cars and the bicycling experience will be that much safer. It is very narrow minded to not want to look at this whole thing as a comprehensive transportation plan (inclusive of pedestrian, bicycles, and vehicles), as oppose to "transportation by the 'enlightened' versus "motorized vehicle users," especially when balancing financial resources is a major concern. That's exactly why we have always been required, and it seems that we will continue to do so according to GPAC (however, not in a regulatory fashion), to provide a LOS report for developments... and now we're asking for it to include "Level of Service" not just for motorized vehicles, but pedestrians and bicyclists too. The GPAC knows to look at the issue from all sides, Barry- you should too.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occupyboston: View Post
    At the risk of being accused of beating a dead horse, I do want to object, Barry, to characterizing the issue of transit as tangential to the issue of building the trails. It really isn't a tangent. Why? Because of the reality of limited resources--i.e., limited money. Unless the pool of funds in Sebatopol, unlike the rest of the world, has no limit, the money that will be allocated to improving bike trails is unavailable to improving public transit. At least for now. (And unfortunately, time is another limited resource.) Still, viva democracy.

38. TopTop #143
    AllorrahBe

Sandy, I totally agree with every point you made in this letter, and my two neighbors in N4 and N6 feel vehemently violated by the insanity of this proposed route. Our "living room" windows overlook the path to the steps to the crosswalk to the bus stop... I have a bird's eye view of all that goes on out there, and it is A LOT!
    I did feel reassured at the meeting that what we saw on the map is just a "suggested" route... I have boldly "suggested" they find a kinder way to get their way. I submitted a list of objections that were not mentioned in the meeting.
    Let me know if there's anything further we can do.
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sandy2y: View Post
    I guess the thinking is that more folks will ride bikes and drive less. We here at Burbank Heights and Orchards are objecting heavily to the proposed part of the trail that runs through our property right past the church. Here's a copy of the email I sent to the Seb. City Council and others:

I am writing to protest the inclusion of a bicycle path through Burbank Heights and Orchards. The proposed path running next to the ‘R’ and ’S’ buildings is a particularly dangerous idea. Frequently, there are delivery trucks parked at the curb, and other vehicles double parked waiting to pick up tenants who need help walking. This narrows the available space for walking and riding. Although there’s a sidewalk there, pedestrians would have to get to and from the sidewalk, encountering bicycles.

Residents living here range in age from 62 well into their nineties. Many walk very slowly, some are recuperating from injuries or operations. Others are hearing- and vision-impaired, and a cyclist yelling out “on your right” or ringing a bell might not be heard, and might frighten a person as they quickly pass. In addition, the city bus stops right there, further impeding through traffic.

The bike paths are a necessity and I’m all for them. But, pedestrians are frequently at risk. I no longer walk on the Joe Rodata Trail or other bike trails because of the danger to myself. The speeding bikes coming up very close to me, especially in both directions, before I can get to the side of the path where it’s not paved, are unnerving. That same danger can be applied to the path at Burbank Heights. Bikes and pedestrians do not belong on the same path.

We are old. We move slowly.

Must we wait until someone is hurt?

sandy2y

39. Gratitude expressed by:

40. TopTop #144
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

And I totally agree that transit is not a tangential topic. We should be looking at a comprehensive approach to our transportation needs....
    I agree, but that's not the question on table. The request was to add these trails to the "Sebastopol Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan" (here's a version from 2011) which is part of the Circulation Element of the General Plan. Note this does not include vehicular traffic.

41. TopTop #145

Thank you for your support, kind words and most importantly the vision to see the bigger picture. In truth I really don't feel like we were defeated. The final motion was to formulate a budget for consideration of a study of multi-use trails in the particular study-area of south and west of town. Transit was included in Sarah's talking points and I believe that if we are interested we could certainly put an electric shuttle system on the table. That might or might not compete with available funding for multi-use trails. That having been said, Barry, you are correct, the question that was on the table was “should this particular proposal be adopted”. In addition the ST were asking for $23,500 from the city for a feasibility study and grant-writing. It appeared to me that all council-members, with the noted exception of John, viewed this particular bike trail proposal as flawed. City staff elucidated the problems and recommended not to pursue this proposal. In the end the official answer was a resounding no.

For the Wacco record, as I have already stated on multiple occasions, I am not opposed to bike/multi-use trails as a general rule. I was vehemently opposed to this particular trail proposal for a multitude of reasons starting with my first post on this thread – it runs through private property. Lynn Deedler attempted to paint a picture leading us to believe that “most” of the critical landowners were on board with his proposal. This was not true. Not only was there an overwhelming number of stakeholders opposed to this trail traversing their land and neighborhoods but many were unaware of the plan until the recent weeks preceding Tuesday night's meeting. I have no idea what Lynn and his team were thinking to put this before city council without having first gone through proper public notice and due process. In my opinion this move demonstrated a flagrant disregard for our community.

It was evident that this lack of public notice was the primary deal breaker for our city council. We all know from this thread that Burbank Heights and the Burbank Experimental Farm were not on board. As it turns out the Hollyhock Development, the Laguna Vista Development, the Laguna Foundation and an entire neighborhood on Eleanor and Walker Aves were also some of the stakeholders absolutely not endorsing this plan. Furthermore the cost analysis presented by the ST was incomplete, omitting several big ticket items (environmental clearance, permitting, design & engineering costs and land acquisitions & easement costs). The plan over-reached and in the end city council was not going to commit to a proposal of this magnitude laden with so many flaws.

What I don't understand is how so many intelligent, well-intentioned folks were unable to notice the gaping holes, misconceptions and ill-conceived elements of the plan. My point throughout this thread was to encourage folks to stop thinking from their tiny-world perspective. In that spirit I presented alternatives and long-view scenarios. There is no doubt that sooner or later we will have bike/multi-use trails in Sebastopol as well as throughout Sonoma County with many of them serving as “connectors”. However, considering that most every city has budget constraints, and that we are reaching critical mass in regard to climate change, I keep asking, is this the best we can do at present to move us as quickly as possible toward significantly reducing our carbon foot-print and localizing our economy?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occupyboston: View Post
    At the risk of being accused of beating a dead horse, I do want to object, Barry, to characterizing the issue of transit as tangential to the issue of building the trails. It really isn't a tangent. Why? Because of the reality of limited resources--i.e., limited money. Unless the pool of funds in Sebastopol, unlike the rest of the world, has no limit, the money that will be allocated to improving bike trails is unavailable to improving public transit. At least for now. (And unfortunately, time is another limited resource.) Still, viva democracy.

42. Gratitude expressed by:

43. TopTop #146
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Dear Multiuse Trail Supporters,

The trails proposal before the council went well. One of the most important things that happened is that the Council heard loud and clear how important these trails are to the community. They listened. They got it. They did not take the big steps that we had hoped for, yet they did take positive steps to move forward.

For those of you who came and especially if you spoke for the cause, thank you. This made a difference. The place was packed with advocates.

The meeting was also attended by many who did not want a trail on their street or Burbank Farm. They were organized and spoke with passion and wanted the trail somewhere else. However, a telling moment was when an individual speaker asked the crowd "who thinks we need these multi-use trails," every hand in the room went up. It is not if we should have the trails, but where.

A point that came across strongly by trail advocates, and was probably good for the City staff to hear was that lines painted along the edge of the highways are no substitute for an off road trail. Many accomplished riders made statements like, "I will not risk my daughters life there….” and several stated they had been hit by a car riding at the edge of busy roads.

Actually what the Council did:

1) Require Planning Department to return with a public process for determining a E-W and a N-S (Class I trail priority) trail extending from the Joe Rodota Trail near Hopmonk, and,

2) determine the cost of a professionally managed feasibility study for inclusion in the 2015-16 budget in April.

It did not put the proposed trails into the Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan, but this is progress.

A final take away — we need to involve all the affected community in the process and solution. People need to be informed and invited to participate in creating an alignment that works for them. Also, we need to keep multi use trails in front of the Council, for it really is public support that will make it happen.

With gratitude,
    Lynn

44. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

45. TopTop #147
    Serendipity

Oh my God, people are so spoiled! We are lucky we have bikes, let alone roads to ride on. This is already freakin' paradise and to think we are without is just greedy after awhile.

I personally like the roads with the potholes and near beside car traffic. It reminds me of living in the city and it gives me perspective on how good life is.

and on the subject of the good life, if you're living it, you don't need to ever be concerned with public transit. If your situation is ever one that requires/relies upon the bus for anything more than a week, you learn quite quickly how desperately inefficient this system is.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    Just curious if you know what you're talking about, Rustie.

What are people thinking? Well, at least several are thinking of ways to make an alternative (and safer) solution to the crappy, pothole filled roads that cyclists are forced to ride on due to lack of a viable alternative. Do they claim it will be the end all/be all perfect solution to take the "bulk of our traffic off the roads"? No. I'd consider them fools tilting at windmills if they did.

If they have the support of most of the critical landowners, then they are well on their way to doing something nice for the community.

-Gregory

46. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

47. TopTop #148
    AllorrahBe

Re: Sebastopol Trail Makers needs your support for new bike trailsA

Although I am a resident of Burbank Heights & Orchards and do not want any intrusions upon Burbank properties, I get it that you-all want/need some bike trails to make your lives "better." And I applaud your "heart" for the matter! It would just make things so much easier for us (up here at the Farm) to support "the trails" if they had not been presented as though there was some deep thought, much communication and consideration of the issues that most certainly affect the people on the streets and properties traversed by those proposed trails. The fact that many citizens never knew about these proposed trails falls upon those who are advocating for change. Promoting the concept that "most" property owners or stakeholders were on board for the trails as proposed and shown on the maps was directly responsible for the huge alarm we (up here at the Farm) felt when we realized your proposed trail was going to cross our property, rather than going around it, along the property line, as our people have already suggested. It's just toooooo dangerous !!

We've successfully put a man on the moon; we've cured polio; we can find a good way for bikers to bike, kids to get to school, Moms to stay home instead of running the kids all over town in their SUVs.... we can do this!

My suggestion: Pray God will open our eyes, our ears, and our hearts, that we may find "the way" to accomplish good for all of our citizens, now and for the future.

Blessings of Peace and Harmony,
    Rev. Allorrah Be, CAHt.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-24-2014 at 12:53 PM.

48. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

49. TopTop #149
    AllorrahBe

Hey! About those buses... I've been there and done that! When I first arrived in Sonoma County five years ago, I was in very bad shape. The woman who rented me an empty bedroom for $700 a month (least expensive place I could find in Marin/Sonoma County area!) told me of Doctors with a Heart. She said a member of her church, a chiropractor, would examine me free and treat me for something like $7 or thereabouts. It took about 2-1/2 hours to get from home (9th Avenue and Stony Point Road) to the DCs office in Cotati! And, after the adjustment, at least 2-1/2 hours to get home, but sometimes longer because more people were riding later in the day. I saw fights. I smelled pot. I was sometimes scared. But the doc told me I had at least 10 bones out of place when she examined me!

But, after all, I am finally healed of all my discombobulations! But I sure wouldn't want to have to make those bus trips again. But here's the thing:
    That was "that" bus system. We can create our own system here in our little town to ease the traffic situation. Then we can extend it out to connect with Santa Rosa transit and Sonoma County transit and any other transit entities there may be, serving other outlying towns.

I believe Sebastopol is the heart of Sonoma County and I believe we can accomplish whatever we can agree upon. So, let's start with WHAT DO WE ALL AGREE ON? Sounds like we all agree we need some bike trails out here. Lets get smart and do it right! Lets do such a great job we get written up in the magazines and actually be able to teach others how to do it. Squabbling about the path is just a waste of time and effort and patience!

It seems to me like a good idea surfaced (we need bike trails!) and then it almost became obsessive/compulsive, to the extent that reality got "bent" a bit, and "other considerations" were not examined or honored. So what was fervently hoped for among the advocates was cause for great alarm among other stakeholders. But we can't go back and do this right from the start; we can only go forward with plenty of public input all the way through the process. It also seems to me this entire conversation is more about how we do community than how to get this one project done... we have an extremely intelligent and active population out here in West County and, given the right incentives and leadership, we will do the right thing. Let the advocates revise their plans according to the public comments, not just their own interests. I believe we can do this! Prove me right!
    Rev. BE
    Last edited by Barry; 11-24-2014 at 12:54 PM.

50. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

51. TopTop #150
    nancypreb

I want to applaud Lynn for his poise in the presence of that jam-packed room full of emotion. It was not an easy room to stand in front of, but Lynn did with grace and eloquence. It was admirable. I especially liked the line, "There's only one person in this room who gets to tell me what to do!" So cute... reminded me of my parents!

I also want to echo Cynthi's comment to the effect that this proposal united this town in a way that we have not seen for a very long time. Despite what side of the debate you were on (and in this case "debate" is a good, appropriate, and healthy part of the process), gatherings were happening among neighbors in living rooms all across town. This proposal got this town energized about something besides the easy target, CVS.

There were people in that room that never go to city meetings. There were people there for their first time ever. There were teenagers. Granted, they were getting credit for their class, even extra if they spoke, but they got a real and valuable education in civics. I think we're moving in the right direction as the City evokes more community participation.

52. Gratitude expressed by 5 members: