Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Investigative Reporter

Transparency and Why I Join the Press Democrat in Opposing Measure R’s Four New Taxes

For people living in the City of Sebastopol. Measure R will create four new 3.75% taxes on our monthly bills: our phone landline, cell phone, cable and garbage bills. The ballot measure is being promoted as a "modernization" of our utility tax. This misleading characterization is just the tip of the iceberg of the ballot initiative’s problems.

Unlike the three incumbent candidates I am running against for City Council this November, who are handing out flyers supporting Measure R, I oppose these four new taxes. I cannot support a plan that takes $70 a year from the pocket of my limited income, 88-year old widowed neighbor and uses it to pay excessive fees to consultants to update our General Plan, along with unannounced 20% pay scale raises for all the City’s top staff, and other questionable budget items. Meanwhile, an anticipated $8 million capital budget covering the next six years contains not one dollar to paint a single bike lane, despite the fact that these have been promised by Council candidates for many years, and that Sebastopol is the only City in Sonoma County not to have them.

I find the lack of transparency about our City’ budget, and an absence of specificity as to where the $260,000 that Measure R will go, both surprising and disappointing. These four new taxes arrive on our ballot just two years after a major 1/2 of 1% sales tax was passed two years ago. The new sales tax was so successful that in the 2013-2014 City budget, a rarely mentioned SURPLUS of $1.3 million was able to replenish the City’s depleted reserves account.

A few days ago, a little noticed Press Democrat Editorial (click to read) said this about Sebastopol’s Measure R

“In Sebastopol, the city is asking voters to renew a six-year-old tax on natural gas and electricity bills that raises $300,000 a year. If that’s as far as it went, we’d be more inclined to support Measure R. But the city wants to extend the tax to more utilities — video service, telecommunications and garbage collection — with a rate reduction of 0.25 percent as an inducement. The projected revenue is $580,000 a year for 10 years. Local voters approved a half-cent sales tax increase just two years ago. Another tax increase, as opposed to a simple extension, is excessive.

“Excessive” is a good word to describe Measure R. Like the PD, I supported simply extending the existing utility tax, which brings in $330,000 to the budget. I told our Council members this late last Spring at the first hearing to raise new taxes. An extension would have passed easily, but they made the mistake of thinking that their job is to add new taxes at every opportunity.

Lacking in transparency is another term I would use for the way Measure R has been handled. As a populist committed to transparency and responsive government, I am disappointed by the misleading rhetoric in both the ballot argument in favor, and the flyers that my three incumbent opponents are handing out.

Under "Some Facts About Measure R," this flyer supporting the four new taxes states:

"*The existing UUT represents approximately 15% of our General Fund…”

This is simply false. In fact, as our most recent budget states, the $330,000 in revenue that the UUT tax brings is under 6% of the City's $5.5 million General Fund.

This is quite a distortion (250% overstated). Yet not a single member of the Council cared to correct it, or apologize for spreading this mistruth, even though I brought this to their attention, during our debate last night.

You can read about that in today’s PD here.

Yet at the debate, the three incumbents, and Council Member Slayter, the CVS faulty traffic report-supporting candidate that I am most eager to replace on the Council, accused me of misrepresenting the facts.

If the Sebastopol City Council wants us to pay more taxes for 20% raises and new hires and overpriced consultants that are expected to charge $750,000 to $1 million for a general plan that could be done for a fraction this amount (read the estimate here), then I would like for them to tell the public where our tax dollars are going. Then see if we vote for it. I am fine if a majority of my fellow citizens do. But we have a right to make that choice with our eyes wide open.

We really need to bring greater transparency to our budgeting and communication. The same flyer touting the need for these four new taxes notes:

"There is a low-income exemption to the UUT for persons in need."

Yesterday I researched this exemption, since it is clear that our incumbents, for all their much-touted experience at governing, have not done this. The exemption is for single folks making under $32k annually, ONLY from PG&E. According to responses to questions I posed to the city staff, there is in fact no capacity or plan for Sebastopol to provide this exemption to citizens who have the four new taxes added to their phone, cell, cable and garbage bills--regardless of whether they are low income or not.

This additional misleading item, along with a lack of transparency on how the monies will be spent, and this week's City Council vote to blindly approve new spending for staff pay scale raises, with no estimate on the eventual cost of these raises, added to my decision to oppose Measure R.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    haammer

Re: Transparency and Why I Join the Press Democrat in Opposing Measure R’s Four New Taxes

I'm always impressed with Jonathan's depth of research. Our city council needs someone like him to watch out for the rest of us!

The incumbents spoke of Measure R [Utility Tax] as though it is vital for the budget, though I'm inclined not to believe that. The language of Measure R is vague, and it accounts for substantial pay raises of some staff over an undefined period. I would support a small tax to help our city's interests, if it were crafted transparently and with adequate details.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    meherc
    Supporting member

Re: Transparency and Why I Join the Press Democrat in Opposing Measure R’s Four New Taxes

Transparency is so rare in govt or in people if it comes to that. You really have to dig through those budget numbers and sometimes fight to get them. Then they tell you that you are reading them incorrectly. Horsefeathers. I know how to read a budget and for some reason, since they are beholden to their constituents, they don't want you to know the actual picture. Always in favor of transparency. In govt, in life....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post

I find the lack of transparency about our City’ budget, and an absence of specificity as to where the $260,000 that Measure R will go, both surprising and disappointing. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Investigative Reporter

Todays PD: Ex-Mayor Ken Foley Slams "Shameless" Tactics to Mislead Seb Voters on Measure R

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinio...-editor#page=3

Misleading Measure R

EDITOR: I received in Wednesday’s mail a flier urging me to vote yes for Sebastopol Measure R, the utility users tax. Again, the proponents misstate the facts, claiming that there is a low-income exemption. They want us to believe that those in need will be granted an exemption for all the taxes levied by Measure R. The advocates are too clever by half.

The only exemption available is for PG&E charges under the Public Utilities Code. And even then, one must apply, qualify and be accepted for the program. Imagine having to deal with both PG&E and a state agency.

Your cable, video, garbage and cellphone bills would be taxed at the full rate without exemptions for anyone.
    The mayor and the city’s administrative services director are shameless as they attempt to mislead the citizens. This last-minute half-truth does a disservice to the ratepayers of Sebastopol. A little transparency and honesty is in order, and the advocates have failed in that regard. A no vote on Measure R is warranted.
    KEN FOLEY
    Sebastopol

Edit: Here's a copy of the mailer - Barry

Name:  UUT1.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  UUT2.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  108.6 KB
    Last edited by Barry; 11-04-2014 at 02:15 PM.

8. TopTop #5
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

It would seem that if a resident qualifies for a low-income exemption under Measure R, there is a high likelihood that they are already enrolled in the PG and E "CARE" Program. If they qualify, but aren't enrolled, I hope that the passage of Measure R prompts them to enroll.

Measure R may very well be the only available funding source that the City of Sebastopol may potentially rely upon to provide financial assistance to Palm Drive Hospital in their attempt to reopen.

9. TopTop #6
    Investigative Reporter

The silence of John Eder and our Incumbents On Misinformation Provided to the Public

John, is this your way of acknowledging that the only exemption available is for the existing PG&E bill? Do you have any response to the fact that every voter in Sebastopol was deceived when they were told that the new UUT had an exemption for low income residents? When not one of the new taxes has this exemption? [ But "not new" tax on the utility bill continues to have a low income exception - Barry]

Do you think that the candidates who distributed these incorrect fliers, or Craig Litwin, who managed this campaign, owe voters an apology and a public correction BEFORE they vote , based on the false understanding that our low income neighbors will not vote to pay these four new taxes?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by John Eder: View Post
    It would seem that if a resident qualifies for a low-income exemption under Measure R, there is a high likelihood that they are already enrolled in the PG and E "CARE" Program. If they qualify, but aren't enrolled, I hope that the passage of Measure R prompts them to enroll.

Measure R may very well be the only available funding source that the City of Sebastopol may potentially rely upon to provide financial assistance to Palm Drive Hospital in their attempt to reopen.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: The silence of John Eder and our Incumbents On Misinformation Provided to the Public

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Former Mayor Ken Foley: View Post

Misleading Measure R
    EDITOR: I received in Wednesday’s mail a flier urging me to vote yes for Sebastopol Measure R, the utility users tax. Again, the proponents misstate the facts, claiming that there is a low-income exemption. They want us to believe that those in need will be granted an exemption for all the taxes levied by Measure R.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    Do you have any response to the fact that every voter in Sebastopol was deceived when they were told that the new UUT had an exemption for low income residents? When not one of the new taxes has this exemption? [ But the"not new" tax on the utility bill continues to have a low income exception - Barry]

Do you think that the candidates who distributed these incorrect fliers, or Craig Litwin, who managed this campaign, owe voters an apology and a public correction BEFORE they vote, based on the false understanding that our low income neighbors will not vote to pay these four new taxes?
    This flyer is clearly deceptive! It states:

"There is a low-income exemption to the UUT for persons in need."

without specifying this only applies to the tax on PG&E bills, but not landline phone, cell phone, cable and garbage bills!

It's paid for by "Citizens for Yes on R" with Craig "Boss" Litwin's address!

Please explain if you think otherwise, or apologize. Take responsibility!

Come on "guys"! Good guys are supposed to play fair. Between this and the Greenberg hit piece something is out of whack. You owe the voters an apology!

For the record, I support Measure R and I did not endorse Jonathan.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-04-2014 at 03:03 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: