Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sonofkirk

Lost Border Collie found at Ragle & Covert Lane is at Sonoma Humane...BUT...

Name:  BorderCollie.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  40.6 KB

She's a female, black and white Border Collie who was found on the corner of Ragle Road and Covert Lane in the Sebastopol city limits. If you know this dog or her family, please contact Sonoma Humane Society at (707) 542-0882, and reference animal ID #10328.

And now the "but"...if they don't find this dog's owner or a viable alternative within 5 days (now just 4) then our wonderful Sonoma Humane Society's "No-Kill" shelter is transferring this sweet dog to a shelter that will put her down. We have 4 days to come up with a solution.

I am completely confused and upset about this information that I received surreptitiously. I thought if the SHS shelter (that advertises its "no kill" status) commits to a dog then that dog is guaranteed a life. But sadly no.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-13-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    sonofkirk

Re: Lost Border Collie found at Ragle & Covert Lane is at Sonoma Humane...BUT...

First the best news: According to SHS's facebook page, the Border Collie has been reunited with her family.

Now for some interesting information. Just talked to a former volunteer who said very gently to me that SHS has never advertised itself as a "No Kill" shelter. Dogs and cats are "transferred" to other shelters for various reasons (aggression, age). She said that maybe I just wanted to believe that SHS would not put them down.

I don't know what to believe. I was told when I brought in a puppy more than a year ago that it was a no-kill (I ended up adopting the puppy...so that was a happy ending).

So again, I don't know what I am feeling about SHS. Maybe the volunteer is right...we just want very much to believe in a truly safe haven for the animals. It makes us feel less guilty, perhaps.

Thanks for reading this about the border collie and I can only hope she is valued and loved.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    sonofkirk

Re: Lost Border Collie found at Ragle & Covert Lane is at Sonoma Humane...BUT...

Still not convinced but trying. The person who told my friend this (about the 5 days and then transfer) was a volunteer there at SHS on the other end of the phone. And the person who told me about the misinformation about "no kill" as regards to SHS was a former long-time volunteer.

So different kind of information all around. What is to guarantee me that your information is more accurate than mine? I don't know how to answer that or if it can be answered. It depends on who we speak to about it.

But I am very glad that SHS does seem to want to work with respected rescue and pet shelters.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-14-2014 at 12:58 PM.

5. TopTop #4
    forveterans49

Glad the dog was reunited! I don't know about the shelter either...wish it was no kill.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-14-2014 at 12:57 PM.