Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    thea71096

looking to breed our golden retriever?

Our golden retriever female is in heat and the standard poodle we are trying to breed her to isn't performing... Do you want a golden doodle or do you have an intact male to breed??
    Thanks
    Margot
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    HomeSweetHome

Re: looking to breed our golden retriever?

ACK! Please don't do it!!! The pound is full of "designer dogs" and breeding your pet just for some $$$ is so wrong! Have you done all the proper health testing? Do you know the health history of the dogs in her family? Hip displaysia is an issue with Goldens, have you at least had her hips OFA'd or PennHip'd? Similar research should be done with the male, don't just take any male who will perform or you could be making puppies that will break the hearts of the families you sell them to! Is your girl old enough to properly take care of a litter? Do you already have homes set up for the puppies? Do you have the funds in case there is an emergency c-section or even worse, your girl dies and you have to hand raise a litter of pups?!

If she has been bred before and the standard poodle is not breeding with her, he probably senses something is wrong. Dogs get STD's too you know!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by thea71096:
    Our golden retriever female is in heat and the standard poodle we are trying to breed her to isn't performing... Do you want a golden doodle or do you have an intact male to breed??
    Thanks
    Margot
    [email protected]

3. TopTop #3
    Vet-To-Pet

PLEASE don't breed your "pet quality" Golden Retriever. As mentioned in the previous reply, there are far too many VERY sweet dogs waiting for homes in the countless shelters & foster homes in this area, & across the country. Most of those puppies & older dogs (& kittens/cats) are a result of pet owners who thought, for various reasons, that their dog would produce perfect puppies who would be quickly adopted by loving homes. The reality is that "backyard breeders" (people who haven't studied breeding & bloodlines & breed qualities & the expenses involved, etc, etc, etc) are the ones who have ruined several popular breeds over the past several decades, generation by generation.

For example, way back when "Lady & the Tramp" was released by Disney back in the 1950s (?), suddenly Cocker Spaniels became the "Dog du Jour", and everyone jumped on the bandwagon to breed them. Now, 60 years later, so much inbreeding has occurred (due to uninformed "breeders") that Cocker Spaniels now have multiple health (eyes, ears) & behavioral problems (tend to bite) that they didn't have before. The same could be said about German Shepards, a wonderful breed, very intelligent & used as guide dogs for the blind as well as police dogs (& other trained "occupations"). However, due to so many unqualified pet owners breeding their German Shepard to their neighbor's German Shepard, the breed now has a very high incidence of hip dysplasia & other orthopedic problems, often causing a premature loss of quality of life (ie, weak or paralyzed rear legs) & sometimes euthanasia as a result.

Do you see where I'm going with this? In my opinion, working in the animal health care profession for the past 30 years as well as volunteering with local animal shelters & rescue organizations, ONLY qualified dog breeders should breed dogs (same goes for cats). If you wonder who's "qualified", they are the people who breed a certain breed for the love of that breed, to ensure that the quality & standards of that breed are met & who won't sell any puppies that don't meet the breed standards (they might sell them for a small fee, but will have the buyer sign a contract stating that they will have the dog spayed/neutered & WON'T breed the dog---the dog is considered "pet quality", NOT "breeding quality"). These breeders are NOT in this "business" (more like a hobby or passion) for the money, because there usually is not any big money to be made. in fact, there are many hidden expenses that could cause you to lose money (or the loss of a dog's life) that you wouldn't know about if you weren't well-informed about what you'd be getting into.

I BEG you not to breed your dog! get her to a veterinary clinic to be spayed, which will avoid possible health problems in the future, such a mammary tumors, infected uterus (pyometra), false pregnancy, & the constant bother of male dogs trying to get to her every time she goes into heat.
    Just say "No"!
    Guppy (DVM)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by HomeSweetHome:
    ACK! Please don't do it!!! The pound is full of "designer dogs" and breeding your pet just for some $$$ is so wrong! Have you done all the proper health testing? Do you know the health history of the dogs in her family? Hip displaysia is an issue with Goldens, have you at least had her hips OFA'd or PennHip'd? Similar research should be done with the male, don't just take any male who will perform or you could be making puppies that will break the hearts of the families you sell them to! Is your girl old enough to properly take care of a litter? Do you already have homes set up for the puppies? Do you have the funds in case there is an emergency c-section or even worse, your girl dies and you have to hand raise a litter of pups?!

If she has been bred before and the standard poodle is not breeding with her, he probably senses something is wrong. Dogs get STD's too you know!

4. TopTop #4
    gypsey

Thanks, ACK! What I want to say to the golden retreiver owners, while you may be doing this out of love of the golden doodle combo, it is not a recognized breed and even if it were, leave it to the PROFESSIONALS who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING to sort out and have the money and knowhow to invest in proper care, vet, whelping, raising etc. Just because you own a female doesn't mean she is worth breeding. In fact, if she was sold to you by a reputable breeder, I would be very surprised since they require spay/neuter contracts to all "pet homes". So your dog is not of breeding quality, to begin with-this means she does not meet the standard for the breed.
    Hopefully she will continue to be a much loved, spayed, pet for you and your family. And that's what she is, not a breeding animal to be used and profited from, but a family member.
    Gypsey

Quote Posted in reply to the post by HomeSweetHome:

5. TopTop #5
    Moon

Speaking as someone who was a pre-veterinary student at Texas A&M for 5 years and who did animal rescue every week or two for 10 years and still does it occasionally, i'd like to make an even stronger request than the previous two: Not even professionals, who know what they're doing, are helping matters by their work. Every professionally-bred, genetically sound kitten or puppy who is adopted is one accidentally-bred who gets killed. I ask humanswho love certain breeds to show their love by freezing some sperm and ova from prime specimens and keeping the samples for the day when we've gotten cat & dog populations under control. Humans are not the only species of people on the planet, & people can't be bought or sold.

Thanks Margot

6. TopTop #6
    Moon

breed our golden retriever?

I ask humanswho love certain breeds to show their love by freezing some sperm and ova from prime specimens and keeping the samples for the day when we've gotten cat & dog populations under control.

Realistically, what you're suggesting is impractical as well as something that very few people would be able to do (Collect sperm & ova to freeze for future use? Let's be reasonable here...) Well, speaking of being reasonable, did you really think i was proposing that breed-admirers run out to the nearest chemical supply store for some dry ice and then try to fish an ovum out of their bitch friend the next time she's in heat? What i had in mind, of course, was for most of a breed's admirers to contribute money to pay a few, or whoever might be qualified, to take the samples and freeze them.
    I still believe that there are some responsible dog breeders out there who are breeding one breed for the love & propagation of the desirable traits of that breed. There definitely are; i've met some of them. In a perfect world, everyone would adopt dogs & cats from shelters and/or rescue groups, but that ain't gonna happen. Dogs & cats will continue to be overbred, not spayed/neutered, abandoned by irresponsible humans, and many of those will die unfairly. We can do as much as we possibly can as individuals & organizations, but I don't see it changing a whole lot in this lifetime. [It took Vancouver, BC, 50 years--and granted Canadians are more reasonable, on average, than Americans--but they managed to reduce the per capita euthanasias to a tenth of their original number.] I've worked/volunteered with several shelters & recue groups, I've fostered up to nine dogs at once at my home, in addition to my own pets, I helped get a shelter built in NE Georgia in a county where they'd never been able to get one built before (their idea of "animal control" was a bullet to the head), so I know what you're talking about. [Kudos. I have a friend whose sister went to vet school in Athens and became well known locally for her stream of letters to the editor upbraiding Georgians for their treatment of non-human animals. I've also lived in the South and remember what its standards of care are.] But you won't ever be able to teach enough people to be responsible pet owners to outweigh the vast majority who aren't "teachable". So, I applaud the responsible breeders, since at least they're maintaining the standards of the breed they're involved with, preventing more & more medical problems to become commonplace in those breeds.
    What we can do to help: do our best to inform people about how to be responsible pet owners, encourage spaying & neutering, as well as discouraging people from adopting pets when they're not actually in the position to be pet owners at that time (ex; college students, single people who aren't home most of their days, etc).
    The thing is that having well-bred cats and dogs around doesn't keep
    the ignorantsia from letting their own non-human friends have "just one litter,"
    "to get it out of her system," or "so my children can see the miracle of birth" or refusing to neuter (which includes spaying) because they think that will keep the cat or dog from enjoying sex play--which it most certainly does not.
    (;==~ (This is an overhead view of a quadruped with a tail, looking up at the viewer, grinning and winking.)
    By the way, folks, cats and dogs can also have vasectomies or tubal ligations; most vets don't mention those options because of other concerns (fighting, cysts, etc.) but you can get it done if you want.