https://www.change.org/p/sonoma-coun...our-creekbanks

A thorny topic but the time is ripe to pick your fight.

Quick recap for those who didn't see earlier discussion:

Sonoma County Water Agency sprays Monsanto's "RoundUp" along our county's creeks, even though there are proven health risks and even though it is ineffective against the invasive Himalayan blackberries to which they are applying the herbicide.

Discussion covered 1. whether or not health risks are real, and 2. how to approach activism to change the policy.

1. is pretty well answered. Though some unsubstantiated claims have been made, other health risks are proven, per an article in Scientific American (a source sufficiently conservative to dispel most doubts and confirm me in my distaste for snacking on RoundUpped Berry Pie).

2. is open for action. Jump in and do whatever works for you!

I decided what I could manage doing was to start a petition to the Board of Supes, which I hope you'll sign and share around. The Supes act as the SCWA's board so the decision is with them.

The Petition is brief and to the point, sticking with known facts and offering a reasonable solution.

I addition, I was able to get out and post a few warning signs on my little stretch of creek, and enlisted a helper to make and post some signs too. I think there may be one or two others from here who will do the same along their nearby creeks.

What I can't do, is meet with someone from SCWA, or go to a meeting of the Board of Supervisors, but those are excellent actions for someone to take.

Spraying public access creeks is the modern, chemical equivalent of fencing in the commons. It denies us a resource we depend on: our water, walking and biking trails, berries, wildlife, and children's play areas.

So, that's it for now. Don't pick the berries but do pick the fight. This is something we can get changed.

Yours for the Revolution*,
Creekfeet

* Did you know that's how Jack London (a proponent of rational composting and farming) signed his letters?