Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    creekfeet

Progress Report re: SCWA spraying RoundUp on blackberries.

A thorny topic but the time is ripe to pick your fight.

Quick recap for those who didn't see earlier discussion:

Sonoma County Water Agency sprays Monsanto's "RoundUp" along our county's creeks, even though there are proven health risks and even though it is ineffective against the invasive Himalayan blackberries to which they are applying the herbicide.

Discussion covered 1. whether or not health risks are real, and 2. how to approach activism to change the policy.

1. is pretty well answered. Though some unsubstantiated claims have been made, other health risks are proven, per an article in Scientific American (a source sufficiently conservative to dispel most doubts and confirm me in my distaste for snacking on RoundUpped Berry Pie).

2. is open for action. Jump in and do whatever works for you!

I decided what I could manage doing was to start a petition to the Board of Supes, which I hope you'll sign and share around. The Supes act as the SCWA's board so the decision is with them.

The Petition is brief and to the point, sticking with known facts and offering a reasonable solution.

I addition, I was able to get out and post a few warning signs on my little stretch of creek, and enlisted a helper to make and post some signs too. I think there may be one or two others from here who will do the same along their nearby creeks.

What I can't do, is meet with someone from SCWA, or go to a meeting of the Board of Supervisors, but those are excellent actions for someone to take.

So, that's it for now. Don't pick the berries but do pick the fight. This is something we can get changed.

Yours for the Revolution*,
    Creekfeet

* Did you know that's how Jack London (a proponent of rational composting and farming) signed his letters?
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 08-22-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    creekfeet

Re: Progress Report re: SCWA spraying RoundUp on blackberries.

Update on the update: only 8 signatures to go, to bring the petition to 100, a goal that change.org arbitrarily set. I don't know what they automatically do when it hits 100, but let's find out!

https://www.change.org/p/sonoma-coun...our-creekbanks

Thanks,
    Creek
    Last edited by creekfeet; 08-23-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: to delete quote of O P

4. TopTop #3
    creekfeet

The thought just occurred to me, that this spraying action along our public access creeks is the modern chemical equivalent of fencing in the commons. This effectively denies us a resource many of us counted on. Please do act. It's not just my backyard. It's all of our water, walking and biking trails, blackberries, and childrens' play areas.

6 to go! Thanks to all who are signing, sharing, and adding Reasons why.

5. TopTop #4
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

Last year or so we started a petition with almost 800 signatures to stop spraying Roundup and worse things such as Atrazine. It was taken to Parks, Santa Rosa City Council, City Manager etc. There was support from Julie Combs.

There is research with the EPA as well as independent studies going back to the early 90's showing Roundup as a human carcinogen.

I am moving out of state and looking for a few people to continue on with this ....to council and county.
    Many local politicians are counting on you going away, and will ignore it if the group isn't a squeaky wheel, that keeps going to meetings!
    Strength to your sword arm!
    If you'd like to know more ... I can email in September.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 08-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    creekfeet

Sorry you're leaving the area. Yes, we need more people to keep the momentum going on the broader battle to reduce use of toxins. Thanks for your excellent offer - please do email more info when you can.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by The"A"Team: View Post
    ...I am moving out of state and looking for a few people to continue on with this ....to council and county.
    Many local politicians are counting on you going away, and will ignore it if the group isn't a squeaky wheel, that keeps going to meetings!...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 08-27-2014 at 10:35 AM.

8. TopTop #6
    creekfeet

Update: We passed the 100-signature mark some time in the last two days. Hooray!

It turns out what change.org does then, is posts the next goal of 200 signatures. We're now at 148.

So... setting our own goals, when (what date / how many signatures) should we present the petition to the Supervisors in person?
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 08-27-2014 at 10:40 AM.