Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Jude Iam

Calling all 'landLORDS' -

Dear Friends,

I hope you had the chance to read the recent article in The Press Democrat, “Affordable housing crisis in Sonoma County.” It features one of our residents, Jill DiPaolo, a single mom who is working, going to school, and on track to move into permanent housing with her 4-year-old son Brady. We are proud of Jill’s accomplishments at COTS, but despite her tireless efforts, she can’t find an affordable place to call home.

The article painted a grim picture, but the good news is that COTS has programs designed to help motivated families and people with disabilities (including disabled veterans), find and maintain permanent housing.

These programs come with one big challenge. We need to find landlords willing to offer rents at the following rates:

• $820 for a studio
    • $956 for a one-bedroom
    • $1,251 for a 2-bedroom
    • $1,843 for a 3-bedroom
    • $2,161 for a 4-bedroom
    These rents may work for another county, but as The Press Democrat article states, Sonoma County has exceptionally low vacancy rates and high rental costs. To give you an idea of what I’m talking about, a Craigslist search today turned up only one property that fit our program requirements.

It takes special landlords who are willing to make a difference for people like Jill and others, and I’m hoping you (or someone you know) might want to help.

COTS' mission is to transform lives and break the cycle of homelessness in Sonoma County. We have seen our clients succeed at rebuilding their lives, however long-term success is only possible when families, children, and adults can find affordable housing. Our community has a precious opportunity to solve this crisis.In return for your assistance, we’ve assumed many of the risks associated with the rental relationship, and have designed these programs to provide you with maximum flexibility.

We would love to work with you, hear your ideas, answer your questions, and—most of all—rent from you! If you’re interested in helping, please call our Housing Locator Eileen Morris at 765-6530 x109.

Sincerely,
    Mike Johnson, CEO
    Committee on the Shelterless

Invest in Miracles — Donate to COTS

Take a Tour at COTS | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

PLEASE reply directly to COTS, not to me. Thanks, Jude

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members: