Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    lamonty115

Looking for worms

Hello!

I am looking for a recommendation on where to find composting worms, and also perhaps suggestions on what to look for in purchasing worms. We have a large plastic storage tote (think Rubbermaid) with holes drilled in all sides, currently prepping organic materials and just waiting for some hungry wigglies!

Thanks so much for the advice!

Carrie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    jesswolfe

Re: Looking for worms

I am no worm expert, but we did look into it. We did find worms at Ace Hardware in Sebastopol. I have no idea beyond that. I would love to hear from others.

Jess

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lamonty115: View Post
    Hello!

I am looking for a recommendation on where to find composting worms, and also perhaps suggestions on what to look for in purchasing worms. We have a large plastic storage tote (think Rubbermaid) with holes drilled in all sides, currently prepping organic materials and just waiting for some hungry wigglies!

Carrie

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    franjoy

I bought a pound of worms 2 years ago from an online worm co. They arrived perfectly and have had worms and compost eversince.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    creekfeet

Remind me to check my worm bins later this evening or tomorrow. If the high temps haven't killed them again, I may once again have worms to spare.

7. TopTop #5
    creekfeet

Good news! Got worms! Looks like my bins have plenty of worms to spare so let me know if you need some, anybody.

8. TopTop #6
    creekfeet

If you want worms, please email me (reply privately, whatevs) and let me know a couple choices of times/days that you could meet in Rohnert Park or mayyyybe Sebastopol to get your worms. You tell me when, I'll tell you where!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by creekfeet: View Post
    Good news! Got worms! Looks like my bins have plenty of worms to spare so let me know if you need some, anybody.

9. TopTop #7
    Chris Dec
    Supporting Member

Carrie... I am a seasoned worm farmer. I have eliminated almost all wet garbage from the weekly pickup, and have benefitted from these critters' valuable worm casting fertilizer for the vegetable garden. I put together these two sheets of information on how I constructed the bins, how they work, what to do, etc. I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions, or if I left something out.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lamonty115: View Post
    Hello!

Carrie
    Attached Files

10. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

11. TopTop #8
    radiodave

Carrie (if you didn't get worms from creekfeet) (or anyone else needing worms): I also have worms to give away. I'm in Guerneville but travel around the county some if you need delivery. I just cleaned my worm bins a month ago, but they've already multiplied enough to share.

And thanks, Chris Dec. I'll take a look at your sheets.

BTW, I need shredded paper for my worms. If you have a shredder at home or work, my worms would love your shreddings as a blanket. Let me know...

12. TopTop #9
    terijane

Chris Dec, thank you so much for your worm sheets! I'm really looking forward to setting up our little tub farm at my preschool soon.
    I have a question: Does tub #1 have a cut-out in the lid (like #3) or a solid lid?
    Smiles,
    Teri

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Chris Dec: View Post
    Carrie... I am a seasoned worm farmer. I have eliminated almost all wet garbage from the weekly pickup, and have benefitted from these critters' valuable worm casting fertilizer for the vegetable garden. I put together these two sheets of information on how I constructed the bins, how they work, what to do, etc. I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions, or if I left something out.

13. TopTop #10
    Chris Dec
    Supporting Member

Hi, Teri... You are welcome. I designed this system for myself, but I am sure improvements will arise from the masses of worm farmers out there. Tub number one's lid does not get drilled or cut. Remember, this will be outside and rain shouldn't be allowed to get in through the top, or you will surely have a mess. Hope that helps.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by terijane: View Post
    Chris Dec, thank you so much for your worm sheets! I'm really looking forward to setting up our little tub farm at my preschool soon.
    I have a question: Does tub #1 have a cut-out in the lid (like #3) or a solid lid?
    Smiles,
    Teri

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #11
    creekfeet

Scratch that --- the worms have wiggled away to a new home. I'll post again the next time there are more ready for adoption.

Three pints of worms and sowbugs ready now! Message right away if you can come and get 'em this weekend.