Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    geomancer

Stephen Hawking's boycott hits Israel where it hurts: science

From The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...MCNEWEML6619I2

Stephen Hawking's boycott hits Israel where it hurts: science

[Note that this was published by The Guardian in May 2013 - Barry]

What really winds up Israel is that this rejection comes from a famous scientist, and it is science that drives its economy, prestige and military strength

Hawking's boycott 'threatens to open a floodgate with more and more scientists coming to regard Israel as a pariah state'.

Stephen Hawking's decision to boycott the Israeli president's conference has gone viral. Over 100,000 Facebook shares of the Guardian report at last count. Whatever the subsequent fuss, Hawking's letter is unequivocal. His refusal was made because of requests from Palestinian academics.

Witness the speed with which the pro-Israel lobby seized on Cambridge University's initial false claim that he had withdrawn on health grounds to denounce the boycott movement, and their embarrassment when within a few hours the university shamefacedly corrected itself. Hawking also made it clear that if he had gone he would have used the occasion to criticise Israel's policies towards the Palestinians.

While journalists named him "the poster boy of the academic boycott" and supporters of the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement celebrated, Ha'aretz, the most progressive of the Israeli press, drew attention to the inflammatory language used by the conference organisers, who described themselves as "outraged" rather than that they "regretted" Hawking's decision.

That the world's most famous scientist had recognised the justice of the Palestinian cause is potentially a turning point for the BDS campaign. And that his stand was approved by a majority of two to one in the Guardian poll that followed his announcement shows just how far public opinion has turned against Israel's relentless land-grabbing and oppression.

Hawking's public refusal follows that of prominent singers, artists and writers, from Brian Eno to Mike Leigh, Alice Walker and Adrienne Rich, all of whom have publicly rejected invitations to perform in Israel. But what winds Israel up is the fact that this rejection is by a famous scientist and that science and technology drive its economy. Hawking's decision threatens to open a floodgate with more and more scientists coming to regard Israel as a pariah state. Its research ties with European and American scientists must be protected.

To continue reading, click here
    Last edited by Barry; 07-14-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    BobHeisler

Re: Stephen Hawking's boycott hits Israel where it hurts: science

That's so f***ed! All you hear in the media is how the Palestinians in Gaza are terrified and suffering because of the Israeli rocket strikes. Is ANYONE commenting or writing about the terror happening in southern Israel as a result of the 150 rockets being launched into Israel EVERY DAY? What about the murder of three Israelis teens at the hands of Hamas? Don't get me wrong...the kidnapping and murder of the one Palestinian teenager by an Israeli was just as bad.

The Palestinians elected Hamas to run their government several years ago when they were bribed into believing that Hamas would take care of them. Have their lives improved since the terror organization has taken over? No. Besides, what other nation on Earth besides Israel do you know of that warns civilians to take cover or flee before the terrorists are attacked to minimize deaths?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post

Stephen Hawking's boycott hits Israel where it hurts: science...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-15-2014 at 12:02 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    geomancer

Everyone is behaving badly in Palestine. That said, I think some proportionality in the Israeli response is in order. Bombing the shit out of Gaza in response to Hamas's lame ass rockets that have yet to kill anyone is way over the top in my opinion. Getting back to an eye-for-an-eye would be a big improvement.

Richard

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BobHeisler: View Post
    That's so f***ed! All you hear in the media is how the Palestinians in Gaza are terrified and suffering because of the Israeli rocket strikes. Is ANYONE commenting or writing about the terror happening in southern Israel as a result of the 150 rockets being launched into Israel EVERY DAY? What about the murder of three Israelis teens at the hands of Hamas? Don't get me wrong...the kidnapping and murder of the one Palestinian teenager by an Israeli was just as bad...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-15-2014 at 12:37 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Ronaldo

I didn't like this article at all. It is all about bashing Israel.
    Learn about the Accusations of anti-Semitism and bias in coverage of Israel in recent decades by the Gaurdian.

Stephen Hawking's boycott hits Israel where it hurts: science...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-15-2014 at 12:38 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    geomancer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ronaldo: View Post
    I didn't like this article at all. It is all about bashing Israel.
    Learn about the Accusations of anti-Semitism and bias in coverage of Israel in recent decades by the Gaurdian.
    Ahem, given Israel's land grabbing in the West Bank, I think a little bashing is in order. Not quite yet an "Apartheid State", but give them time!

Richard

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    BobHeisler

I always believed that the development of settlements by Israel has been a deterrent to a peace solution, but the real bashing needs to be done to the international terrorist group, Hamas. The belief that Israel doesn't have the right to exist is pathological and Hamas' intent to destroy Israel MUST and WILL be stopped either diplomatically or militarily. I believe that, ultimately, only a two-state solution is the answer.

Ahem, given Israel's land grabbing in the West Bank, I think a little bashing is in order. Not quite yet an "Apartheid State", but give them time!

Richard

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    Valley Oak

The Guardian is one of the 5 BEST news reporting agencies in the world. They are not afraid to tell the truth, even when the truth hurts and offends big interests, like Israel.

Shame on you, Bob, for your grotesque bias and dishonesty.
    \
    That's so f***ed! All you hear in the media is how the Palestinians in Gaza are terrified and suffering because of the Israeli rocket strikes. Is ANYONE commenting or writing about the terror happening in southern Israel as a result of the 150 rockets being launched into Israel EVERY DAY? What about the murder of three Israelis teens at the hands of Hamas? Don't get me wrong...the kidnapping and murder of the one Palestinian teenager by an Israeli was just as bad.

The Palestinians elected Hamas to run their government several years ago when they were bribed into believing that Hamas would take care of them. Have their lives improved since the terror organization has taken over? No. Besides, what other nation on Earth besides Israel do you know of that warns civilians to take cover or flee before the terrorists are attacked to minimize deaths?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-16-2014 at 12:52 PM.

14. TopTop #8
    jlchoden

I agree with Bob.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    The Guardian is one of the 5 BEST news reporting agencies in the world. They are not afraid to tell the truth, even when the truth hurts and offends big interests, like Israel.

Shame on you, Bob, for your grotesque bias and dishonesty.
    \

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    BobHeisler

I feel no shame for my belief.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    rossmen

whats so great about a religious state? why does israel have a right to exist in a land where jews have probably always been the minority, certainly for the last 2000 years? you feel no shame for your belief that you are one of dogs chosen people? your belief dismisses democracy and celebrates occupation and ethnic cleansing, shame on you! hawking is right again.

I feel no shame for my belief.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #11
    Ronaldo

Speaking of rights, what gives you the right to go around "shaming" people?
    Religious states have been in existence for a long time and have done both great good and great harm.
    Why do you overlook the fact that Israel is surrounded by "religious states" that have publicly vowed to destroy them? Do you feel that Israel should be destroyed? Your tone suggests that you do.

Your attack of Bob Heisler sounds like it stems from personal ill will. If it was a difference in ideology you would discuss issues rather than indulging in assertions, condemnations, and shaming.

Dog bless you anyway.

21. TopTop #12
    rossmen

israel is destroying itself. i support boycott and divestment. i was responding to bobs description of his own belief using his language. threw in some important facts too. while i hold hope for a two state solution, in the end one secular state is the best hope for stability, peace, and freedom.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ronaldo: View Post
    Speaking of rights, what gives you the right to go around "shaming" people?
    Religious states have been in existence for a long time and have done both great good and great harm.
    Why do you overlook the fact that Israel is surrounded by "religious states" that have publicly vowed to destroy them? Do you feel that Israel should be destroyed? Your tone suggests that you do.

Your attack of Bob Heisler sounds like it stems from personal ill will. If it was a difference in ideology you would discuss issues rather than indulging in assertions, condemnations, and shaming.

Dog bless you anyway.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #13
    Valley Oak

The following article was published by The Huffington Post on July 20, 2014:

CNN Removes Reporter Diana Magnay From Israel-Gaza After 'Scum' Tweet

https://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/ar...3444211a0002e8

NEW YORK -- CNN has removed correspondent Diana Magnay from covering the Israeli-Palestinian conflict after she tweeted that Israelis who were cheering the bombing of Gaza, and who had allegedly threatened her, were “scum...”

24. Gratitude expressed by: