Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    wisewomn

Re: No criminal charges for Erick Gelhaus for Andy Lopez shooting

"Better replacement on the ballot" indeed! That goes for every level of government.

As Utah Phillips used to say: "If God had intended us to vote, She would have given us candidates."
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #32
    rossmen

Re: Illuminating Article About "Expert" Hired by DA to Whitewash Lopez Killing

i agree that she waited till after the latest election. i don't think she did it to forward her own particular momentary interest. it was probably more about keeping controversy down so turnout stays low. she would have won either way, shanihan is married to a deputy. political establishment loves low turnout because it fosters order and security, the da responsibility. frietas has the most responsibility here and he ran unopposed, has cleared the killer for duty, and is considering where to put him next...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gus diZerega: View Post
    Ravitch has been exposed as an apologist for police criminality or a coward. Either way, she is unsuited for the position she holds. Her manipulation of voters into supporting her by holding off on her decision till after the election adds to her moral collapse. It suggests she thought being honest might cost her the election, therefore be dishonest.

We can likely get a recall of this tool onto the ballot. But what are the chances of her actually being recalled?

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #33
    Valley Oak

Re: Illuminating Article About "Expert" Hired by DA to Whitewash Lopez Killing

I agree with Ross that Ravitch did not do it for her own career but there is an impact on it nonetheless, and her unjust decision to clear the killer, Gelhaus, is the traditional "safe route" to take when there is police brutality. The democratic system has failed.

Additionally, this case exposes White privilege in "progressive" Sonoma County. It also exposes social class struggle, racism, and marginalization. And it exposes another discriminatory problem not normally talked about in American society: the poor treatment of children in general. The American people are not yet sensitized to this issue. But I have lived in Spain and Denmark and most European countries, especially Scandinavians, treat children with a great deal more appreciation than American society does.

The profile of this case is tragic on several fronts: Andy Lopez was a 13 year old child, from a poor neighborhood (a lower social class), born of immigrant parents belonging to a minority ethnic group. Ravitch is a White woman from a privileged social class. There is no excusing her or the cop she cleared. Shame on Ravitch, Gelhaus, and the White majority of a supposedly progressive community.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    i agree that she waited till after the latest election. i don't think she did it to forward her own particular momentary interest. it was probably more about keeping controversy down so turnout stays low. she would have won either way, shanihan is married to a deputy. political establishment loves low turnout because it fosters order and security, the da responsibility. frietas has the most responsibility here and he ran unopposed, has cleared the killer for duty, and is considering where to put him next...

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #34
    meherc
    Supporting member

Re: No criminal charges for Erick Gelhaus for Andy Lopez shooting

I think Ravitch is a vindictive, immoral political animal with no regard for true justice.

She hunted me down because I challenged her and slapped contempt of court charges on me 8 months after I was arrested. She was not in the courtroom and both attorneys said I was not disruptive and the judge agreed.

She will do any thing to get ahead. Did anyone doubt that the cop would get off? Seems more reasonable that they would duck behind their cars in case the kid actually had a real gun and wait to see what happened. I believe Ravitch said they were trained to use tasers and shoot bam, bam, bam, bam. Well then let them carry tasers and not guns. It is a disgrace the way she uses her position to get her own way, further her career and appease her rich supporters. I spit on her. And for that she'll probably arrest me again. She can do whatever the hell she wants with no regard for the truth.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    The PD reported that District Attorney Jill Ravitch announced that the county will not file criminal charges against Erick Gelhaus for shooting Andy Lopez. Here's the video of the press conference:
    Last edited by Barry; 08-09-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

8. Gratitude expressed by: