Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Stephen Gaskin, founder of The Farm, dies at 79

Stephen and Ina May Gaskin
    Stephen Gaskin — an often tie-dye-clad hippie philosopher, a proud "freethinker" and iconic founder of The Farm — died Tuesday morning at his home. He was 79.

More than four decades ago, Mr. Gaskin — an ex-combat marine with crystalline blue eyes — led a caravan of nonconformists across the country, taking his band of beatnik brethren deep into the Tennessee woods and establishing what would become The Farm, one of the country's oldest surviving communes.

It was the vision of a man who spoke with pride about the lineage of freethinkers from which he came.

Continues at
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/lif...dies/11934969/
    Last edited by Barry; 07-03-2014 at 02:34 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Roland Jacopetti

Re: Stephen Gaskin, founder of The Farm, dies at 79

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Stephen Gaskin — an often tie-dye-clad hippie philosopher, a proud "freethinker" and iconic founder of The Farm — died Tuesday morning at his home. He was 79.

More than four decades ago, Mr. Gaskin — an ex-combat marine with crystalline blue eyes — led a caravan of nonconformists across the country, taking his band of beatnik brethren deep into the Tennessee woods and establishing what would become The Farm, one of the country's oldest surviving communes.

It was the vision of a man who spoke with pride about the lineage of freethinkers from which he came.

Continues at
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/lif...dies/11934969/
    Was Steve Gaskin in Forestville for a time? It seems to me that he was around when I lived at Sunshine Camp in the early to middle 70s. Was he a friend of Bliss Buys? I'm cudgeling my memory but, though the spirit is willing, the mind forgets.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Aldo El Hefe

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Roland Jacopetti: View Post
    Was Steve Gaskin in Forestville for a time? It seems to me that he was around when I lived at Sunshine Camp in the early to middle 70s. Was he a friend of Bliss Buys? I'm cudgeling my memory but, though the spirit is willing, the mind forgets.
    When I was just a kid back around 1969 when I lived in Stinson Beach, there were some older hippies that used to go to Gaskin meetings in S.F.. They invitited me to join them. They were at Playland -at the-Beach (if I remember correctly). They were huge gatherings held weekly and attended by hundreds of Gaskin followers. I remember they served free food, and it was dispensed from 32 gallon galvanized garbage cans. The food wasn't bad or made me sick, but I thought it was unusual to be serving food out of garbage cans, I imagine that they were cleaned well before use.
    I liked the vibe at the Gaskin meeting, everyone was upbeat and positive, and beautiful friendly girls (women) abounded.
    May Stephen rest in peace, he was a good man.

5. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

6. TopTop #4
    american dream

I arrived in S.F. for Steve Gaskin's last few Monday night gatherings at Playland and loved' em - Those and *meeting S.F.'s Cosmic Master Alan from Venus made it clear I was no longer in New England!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Aldo El Hefe: View Post
    When I was just a kid back around 1969 when I lived in Stinson Beach, there were some older hippies that used to go to Gaskin meetings in S.F.. They invitited me to join them. They were at Playland -at the-Beach (if I remember correctly). They were huge gatherings held weekly and attended by hundreds of Gaskin followers. I remember they served free food, and it was dispensed from 32 gallon galvanized garbage cans. The food wasn't bad or made me sick, but I thought it was unusual to be serving food out of garbage cans, I imagine that they were cleaned well before use.
    I liked the vibe at the Gaskin meeting, everyone was upbeat and positive, and beautiful friendly girls (women) abounded.
    May Stephen rest in peace, he was a good man.

7. TopTop #5
    pixeee nation

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Continues here

Sad times it seems like many Good Beings are leaving this dimension lately....one of my Dearest Friends left after High School to join "The Farm" ...She said it was great & then i never heard from Her again..i Pray it was because She found a Good Home. Thanks 4 posting this

From Barry:
    Note that this thread was started in 2014.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #6
    Star Man

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pixeee nation: View Post
    Sad times it seems like many Good Beings are leaving this dimension lately....one of my Dearest Friends left after High School to join "The Farm" ...She said it was great & then i never heard from Her again..i Pray it was because She found a Good Home. Thanks 4 posting this

From Barry:
    I did not believe this was current news. Over the years I have met a half dozen young people, twenties or so, who had been born and raised on the Farm. Every one of them seemed like an exemplary person. In childhood they would have been called "Indigo Children" or "Brights." I experienced a strong positive energy emanating from each of them. I had heard Gaskin speak once at Berkeley and was moved by his message. I felt very sad when the news of his death came out.

Star Man

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    karenm97

article dated 2014 (someone pointed this out to me)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pixeee nation: View Post

From Barry: