Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Helen Shane

Small Town Sebastopol settles with CVS

Small Town Sebastopol settles with CVS

SEBASTOPOL, CA, July 1, 2014 – Helen Shane, for the Committee for Small Town Sebastopol announced today that it has settled its CEQA suit against CVS. Simultaneously, CVS and the city of Sebastopol have reached a tentative settlement yet to be vetted by the City Council.

Shane said this will be a far better project than was applied for three years ago.

(Images from PD Feb, 2012 of CVS rendering as designed by Sebastopol architect Kevin Kellogg.
    Notice the lack of all signage and traffic! )

The CVS project was issued a Mitigated Negative Declaration on July 5, 2011 by the Sebastopol City Council. It would have allowed CVS to proceed with the project without an Environmental Impact Study.

On August 8, 2011, the Committee for Small Town Sebastopol (STS) led by the late John Kramer and Helen Shane, filed a CEQA suit that charged that the MND was based on a flawed, inadequate traffic study.

In 2012, the City levied a moratorium on new drive-throughs. Then CVS filed a suit against the City, claiming that the moratorium violated its civil rights. On the STS CEQA suit, CVS asked for and got 16 extensions on the legal prosecution of the case, which dragged on until the present.

In May of this year, CVS announced that it wished to settle both the drive-through moratorium suit and the STS CEQA suit. Discussions to negotiate settlement of both cases began. City officials, Shane and Nancy Dobbs, John Kramer’s widow, attended meetings with CVS attorneys and officers.

The terms of the settlement call for the development project to move forward with the following changes:

• There will be no drive-through or exterior pick-up window anywhere on the project;

• There will be no vehicle access or egress from the site via left turns onto or from Sebastopol Avenue. No left turns will be permitted onto or from the site onto Petaluma Avenue should it become a two-way street in the future;

• CVS will pay the City and Small Town Sebastopol a total of $150,000 to be used for a traffic signal synchronization study and implementation of a program to mitigate traffic impacts, and to pay Small Town Sebastopol’s legal fees for the litigation.

• CVS will parcelize the property into five parcels, but will occupy only one, which will be built as a two-story structure, with solar installed on all buildings.

• CVS will set back its building at the corner of Sebastopol Avenue (Hwy 12) and Petaluma Ave (Hwy 116).

• CVS signage will be discreet.

Shane said, “Members of the Sebastopol Community attended meeting after meeting over the years, concerned with the traffic impact CVS would have, trying to dominate our crossroads; we didn’t want our town to be known as CVS-ville. Small Town Sebastopol continually updated these more than 700 people via email. Their enthusiastic responses validated the need and desire of the community to oppose the project, and to pursue the CEQA suit. We collected more than $25,000 in contributions ranging from $7 to $3,000, from individuals who deplored the impact it would have on traffic and our town. From the get-go, Small Town Sebastopol knew that if preventing the building of the typical car-centric in and out CVS were not possible, the corporate decreed design must be changed and access to and from the project could not be allowed to further interfere with through traffic at that critical intersection. Dozens of community members communicated to CalTrans their opposition to the project and the state agency did not approve CVS’ request to allow left turns into and out of the site. "

“We feel this settlement has resulted in a project that is far superior to the one in the initial application. It would have been inappropriate and not what we wanted at one of the major gateways of our small town.”

"John Kramer was diagnosed in the summer of 2013 with brain cancer. He told me to stay the course. He died on February 26 of this year. Without him, at times, it got very scary. Then I’d think ‘what would John do?’ That carried me through to this time of resolution. I think now John would say ‘okay, let’s do this and move on. ‘

Margaret Mead was right. ‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. ‘ ”
    Last edited by Barry; 07-02-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Re: Small Town Sebastopol settles with CVS

Thank you, Helen, for your tireless efforts on this project as well as so many environmental issues I have seen you take on!! You're a true super HERO!

3. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Helen Shane

Thanks to all who've expressed gratitude for our perseverance. I wish we could have achieved the ultimate win of persuading them not to build there. We took our best shot, and I believe this outcome is second best, but attainable. My gratitude to John Kramer, who did not make it to this resolution, but whose intelligence, steadfastness and humor got us over the earlier rocky parts. The joy of working with such a good man carried me to this point. Thanks, John.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sambacat: View Post
    Thank you, Helen, for your tireless efforts on this project as well as so many environmental issues I have seen you take on!! You're a true super HERO!

5. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

6. TopTop #4
    gardenmaniac

for their relentless advocacy and protection of our Small Town identity and values, Thank You! (that' a big 'thank you' ...) to John, Nancy, and Helen
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-03-2014 at 11:40 AM.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's some assorted comments from me and others.

First, I also want to thank Helen, John, their un-indicted co-conspirators and supporters for their years of hard work on this! Clearly this is not an optimal solution but it is arguably the best than can be achieved, especially since the city council had already granted them a use permit.

KRCB-Fm's radio's Bruce Robinson did a short audio interview with Helen along a brief article, which states "Chase Bank has withdrawn its commitment to that location, and a new occupant has not yet been identified."

Many comments were posted on our Facebook page about this development, including that the building should not be set back. I disagree. I think that corner is very congested and setting the building back (not with parking) will help with that. I'd like the planning commission or DRB to review plans for the setback.

There was also comments in support of a drive through. I can see the logic for a drive through pharmacy, but not at that location. If they really wanted to "serve" the population, they could add a drive through at their current location.

I'd like to see the condition of "discreet signage" further codified, down to total number of square feet for permanent signage, which should also have to get DRB approval, and some verbiage limiting (preferably prohibiting) additional signage in the windows or external banners.

9. Gratitude expressed by 8 members: