Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    bill shearer

Invasive redwood tree

Has anyone here dealt with a giant redwood tree whose roots are smashing the owner's house. Am wondering if excavating the offending roots will kill the tree?? Or, if faced with that, if anyone knows of someone who would want to fall the tree for timber? It's easily 8' thick at the base and too tall to guess at the height. It is forcing this person to choose between the tree and his house
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    tstrand

Re: Invasive redwood tree

Bill,

I apologize for not offering a practical reply. I'm sure others will offer solutions. I can't help but offer this poem written by Jane Hirshfield when she lived in Mill Valley.

---

It is foolish
    to let a young redwood
    grow next to a house.

Even in this
    one lifetime,
    you will have to choose.

That great calm being,
    this clutter of soup pots and books—

Already the first branch-tips brush at the window.
    Softly, calmly, immensity taps at your life.

---

I expect you will easily find offers to remove the tree in trade for its market value.

Tom

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bill shearer: View Post
    Has anyone here dealt with a giant redwood tree whose roots are smashing the owner's house. Am wondering if excavating the offending roots will kill the tree?? Or, if faced with that, if anyone knows of someone who would want to fall the tree for timber? It's easily 8' thick at the base and too tall to guess at the height. It is forcing this person to choose between the tree and his house
    Last edited by Barry; 04-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Thad

In most aspects humans are the invasive element, but I saw this once, a house that was built into a hill side that incorporated the rock face as part of their living room.

Foundations can be remodeled to an expected humans life span so the roots and perhaps the side of the tree had that tolerance allowed for in the repair and became part of their living space, to some, it would be just a touch of hobbit architecture, and nice.

Also, how old would an 8 foot thick redwood tree be?

Some people could could find a sense of history and peace living next to something so old and alive.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-24-2014 at 01:31 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4

Hi Bill,
    An 8' round redwood is a lot of lumber which is worth a lot of money - You may want to contact Barry's Saw Mill in Cazadero, perhaps they would be interested &/or have some leads and suggestions. Good Luck to your friend!
    Last edited by Barry; 04-24-2014 at 01:31 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5

Thank you, Thad.

Let's hope they can alter the house to accommodate the tree. If this can't be done, I say, choose the tree.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    In most aspects humans are the invasive element, but I saw this once, a house that was built into a hill side that incorporated the rock face as part of their living room.

Foundations can be remodeled to an expected humans life span so the roots and perhaps the side of the tree had that tolerance allowed for in the repair and became part of their living space, to some, it would be just a touch of hobbit architecture, and nice.

Also, how old would an 8 foot thick redwood tree be?

Some people could could find a sense of history and peace living next to something so old and alive.

9. TopTop #6
    AJL

I would be honored to work on modifying the house and foundation to accommodate the tree.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sandoak: View Post
    Thank you, Thad.

Let's hope they can alter the house to accommodate the tree. If this can't be done, I say, choose the tree.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    Shandi

Hi Bill,

I recall that there was a recent post, in the last month, from someone offering to fell trees, in exhange for some of the wood to create various items with. I replied directly to him, since a lot of our trees in the park are being taken down for safety reasons. I can't find my email to him. But Barry may be able to re-locate his post, which would save you some money, and help out an indivdual.

[ Here you go: https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...543#post178543 - Barry ]

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    AJL

I have a free redwood tree about 3' tall that is too close to my deck and house.
    Does anyone want it?