Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Our Environment
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Our Environment

Myth: we have to save the earth. Frankly, the earth doesn't need to be saved. Nature doesn't give a hoot if human beings are here or not. The planet has survived cataclysmic and catastrophic changes for millions upon millions of years. Over that time, it is widely believed, 99 percent of all species have come and gone while the planet has remained. Saving the environment is really about saving our environment -- making it safe for ourselves, our children, and the world as we know it. If more people saw the issue as one of saving themselves, we would probably see increased motivation and commitment to actually do so. -Robert M. Lilienfeld, management consultant and author (b. 1953) and William L. Rathje, archaeologist and author (b. 1945)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re: Our Environment

Well, yes, I've often thought--it's not the earth that needs saving--it's us. But it's not JUST us--it's the earth as we know and love it. And all the beautiful plants and animals, fish and birds, coral reefs and rivers, seas, trees and bees. Sure, the earth will keep on turning without us or any of the above, and after a few million years--it'll all be back and probably more wondrous than before.

But I've got kids and grandkids and maybe in 15 years or so--great grandkids. And even if I didn't--I'd still like this amazingly wonderful earth as I've known it to continue to survive and thrive for a few thousand/million years longer.

Lilith

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Myth: we have to save the earth. Frankly, the earth doesn't need to be saved. Nature doesn't give a hoot if human beings are here or not. The planet has survived cataclysmic and catastrophic changes for millions upon millions of years. Over that time, it is widely believed, 99 percent of all species have come and gone while the planet has remained. Saving the environment is really about saving our environment -- making it safe for ourselves, our children, and the world as we know it. If more people saw the issue as one of saving themselves, we would probably see increased motivation and commitment to actually do so. -Robert M. Lilienfeld, management consultant and author (b. 1953) and William L. Rathje, archaeologist and author (b. 1945)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: