Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Investigative Reporter

Sonoma County’s Only Chance to Restore Library Hours: Please read and share!

Library hours in Sonoma County have been slashed from 52 to 40 hours at all 11 County libraries for the past three years. They are closed Mondays for the first time in a century.

A new poll by the Library Commission found that 70% of like voters support a tax to save our libraries,
    but without a vote by Supervisors to add a tiny tax for libraries to the ballot this November, closed libraries will remain the “new normal” for at at least three more years--and maybe forever.

If you share my concern, and feel that libraries are an vital and important public service, please sign our new MoveOn petition (that officially launches tomorrow).

More info at the Campaign to RestoreLibrary Hours in Sonoma County website, www.RestoreLibraryHours.com.

Volunteers for this public awareness and public pressure campaign are vitally needed during the next few weeks. If you want to help, please reply to me privately here.

County Supervisors will be deciding whether they will include a library funding measure or not within the next month or so. Please spread the word!

Imagine, for just a 1/8 of 1% Sales Tax, our woefully underfunded libraries would raise $8 million per year, allowing us this:

The 1/8 of 1% Sales Tax Solution

• Reopen: Monday & evenings—closed 3 years ago by 25% cutback in hours
    • Nurture: Restore programs for children, teens & seniors
    • Enhance: Open Sundays & all evenings
    • Revitalize: Plan, build & staff new Roseland Library as community hub
    • Secure: Financial footing & obligations for the future
    Instead this is our current reality:

Our Libraries Are Loved, But Underfunded
    Last edited by Barry; 04-10-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    haammer

Re: Sonoma County’s Only Chance to Restore Library Hours: Please read and share!

While I am not a strong library-user, I am more than willing to support a tax such as this to keep them open. So many people rely on the library in our county, and the last time I was there it was very crowded. 1/8th of 1% works out to be about 12 cents per $100 spent. I think we can all afford that.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Investigative Reporter

New Library Director and JPA agreement do nothing to reopen libraries See Petition

There is an article in today's PD about the new Library Director, a good choice, from the sound of it. The article also mentions a new JPA agreement pending.

But neither of these developments will add a single dime to our library services. Sonoma COunty libraries still receive a third the funding, per capital, as Marin and SF counties. Attendance has plummeted with the unprecedented 25% drop in hours, now in their third year.

A revenue measure on the ballot is the ONLY thing that will save our libraries. Please check out our petition,a nd share it, at https://restorelibraryhours.com