Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Petition to stop the slaughter of ravens in Idaho

A couple of weeks ago, I came across a small news article explaining that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game had received a permit from the United State Dept. of Agriculture (I think it was Ag) to kill 4000 ravens. This is proposed under the guise of protecting the sage-grouse, which, I believe, is being added to the endangered species list. The sage-grouse does need protection but here's the problem. There are 19 factors that have caused their populations to decline, most the result of human activity. Predation by other creatures is #12 and ravens are the only ones that have been singled out, although there are many. Killing ravens will do little if anything at all to mitigate the problems the sage-grouse face.

I was so upset that I took it on myself to create a petition and I hope some of you will consider signing it.

There is a bias among many people against ravens and crows--their voices are not lyrical and some people see them as bullies or as symbols of evil. But recent studies show that they are among the most intelligent creatures on earth and actually may be the most intelligent. They have complex societies, young stay with their parents for years and they even have a ritual that humans would call a funeral when one of their own dies. Killing 4000 of these remarkable birds will reverberate through their community for generations.

You'll find my petition here: https://www.thepetitionsite.com/114/...-4000-ravens/#

And just so you know, I have NO financial or professional interest in this. It is a simple act of love. I have long adored ravens and crows. And Edgar Allen Poe, too.

Big huge thanks to all who take the time to sign.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re: Petition to stop the slaughter of ravens in Idaho

The Wacco community has really come through on this. The petition now has 720 signatures; it was at about 480 or so when I posted yesterday. Thanks much to everyone and let's keep this going. If you have time, reach out to Idaho tourism, the Fish & Game department and the Governor's office. Defenders of Wildlife, which I've already contacted, has a huge effort underway to get Idaho to stop killing wolves. I am, of course, a big supporter of their efforts. But I am hoping they will also try to help the ravens.

There was a news article posted earlier today on the daily newspaper in Boise, Idaho, about this. Sometime this spring, Fish & Game will start putting out poison eggs because, and I quote, "the ravens are very smart so it is hard to shoot them."

No irony there, eh? And nothing that could possibly go wrong. Sheeesh, what are these people thinking??

Anyway, we've got some momentum going. In whatever time I have (not much), I will do all I can. I suspect Idaho may not want to be known as the state that slaughters its wildlife.

Thanks again to everyone.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I came across a small news article explaining that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game had received a permit from the United State Dept. of Agriculture (I think it was Ag) to kill 4000 ravens. This is proposed under the guise of protecting the sage-grouse, which, I believe, is being added to the endangered species list. The sage-grouse does need protection but here's the problem. There are 19 factors that have caused their populations to decline, most the result of human activity. Predation by other creatures is #12 and ravens are the only ones that have been singled out, although there are many. Killing ravens will do little if anything at all to mitigate the problems the sage-grouse face.

I was so upset that I took it on myself to create a petition and I hope some of you will consider signing it.

There is a bias among many people against ravens and crows--their voices are not lyrical and some people see them as bullies or as symbols of evil. But recent studies show that they are among the most intelligent creatures on earth and actually may be the most intelligent. They have complex societies, young stay with their parents for years and they even have a ritual that humans would call a funeral when one of their own dies. Killing 4000 of these remarkable birds will reverberate through their community for generations.

You'll find my petition here: https://www.thepetitionsite.com/114/...-4000-ravens/#

And just so you know, I have NO financial or professional interest in this. It is a simple act of love. I have long adored ravens and crows. And Edgar Allen Poe, too.

Big huge thanks to all who take the time to sign.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-05-2014 at 01:59 PM.

4. TopTop #3

Re: Petition to stop the slaughter of ravens in Idaho

I thought the wacco community might like an update on this. The petition calling on the Governor of Idaho to rescind plans to kill 4000 ravens now has nearly 18,000 signatures. The momentum began when I posted a link here on April 3, though I don't know what accounts for the sudden take-off--it had to be more than this web site. In the last week, I have been contacted by Idaho State Public Radio (I recorded an interview with them yesterday), by a bird conservancy in Washington DC, by Care2petitions which is now helping get the word out and by a couple of other organizations. This issue, it seem, has legs.

Thanks very much to everyone here who has helped.

The main point I'd like to make, other than that these ravens need our help, is that it can be pretty remarkable what a simple act of love can do. This issue does not impact my concrete day-to-day life nor do I have professional or financial interests in the issue. Simply put, I just felt compelled to do something once I knew of the plan. The internet makes much of this possible, of course, but I'm both a bit stunned and deeply gratified that my simple gesture is actually having an impact.
    Last edited by oliviathunderkitty; 04-19-2014 at 11:21 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: