Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    earthyred

Feedback on Sonic in Petaluma

I'm looking into getting rid of Comcast for internet and ATT for my land line and switching to a Sonic bundle that includes DSL and phone service. Wondering if anyone here has Sonic and lives in Petaluma? Wondering about outages and response time.
    Thanks Susan
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    jesswolfe

Re: Feedback on Sonic in Petaluma

Hmm not sure this is applicable but I switched to Sonic Fusion a couple of months ago from Comcast. Both have issues especially at night. I find that at some times the Sonic connection slows down. Kind of a bummer, and it causes problems with streaming or doing website work. Otherwise I would much rather pay money to Sonic than Comcast.

Jessica

Quote Posted in reply to the post by earthyred: View Post
    I'm looking into getting rid of Comcast for internet and ATT for my land line and switching to a Sonic bundle that includes DSL and phone service. Wondering if anyone here has Sonic and lives in Petaluma? Wondering about outages and response time.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-16-2014 at 01:03 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    earthyred

thanks Jessica, the difference in price and having it local may be enough for me to switch despite possible slow connections.
    susan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jesswolfe: View Post
    ..I find that at some times the Sonic connection slows down....

5. TopTop #4
    danejasper

The thing is, our connections should always be the same speed. This is because unlike cable, they are dedicated to each customer, not shared.

So if speed varies, it's either other usage in the home (which could include bots, virus, etc), OR the circuit is having trouble. In either case, best bet is to phone support.

-Dane
    [CEO of Sonic.net]

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jesswolfe: View Post
    Hmm not sure this is applicable but I switched to Sonic Fusion a couple of months ago from Comcast. Both have issues especially at night. I find that at some times the Sonic connection slows down. Kind of a bummer, and it causes problems with streaming or doing website work. Otherwise I would much rather pay money to Sonic than Comcast.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    jesswolfe

Thanks Dane! I should have said I hadn't had the chance to troubleshoot yet. My bad. I will talk to someone from Sonic to see if we can track this down.

I also want to say that I have always had wonderful dealings with Sonic. Whether I was the customer or I was talking to them on behalf of a customer of mine, everyone there is helpful and doesn't talk down to me. And they actually know what they are talking about. Customer service is so essential and its something that has been sadly lost in our culture today. Its frustrating to call someone for help only to find they are reading off a script and aren't listening to anything I am saying, and really have no idea how their product works.

I hated Comcast. Not only were they incredibly expensive, but I hated calling them. When I called them to close my account, the guy just kept talking, trying to get me to buy some other product, at more than Sonic charges. It took me 5-6 times saying "Just close the dang account!" before he finally did it.

thanks Dane. I appreciate your company!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by danejasper: View Post
    The thing is, our connections should always be the same speed. This is because unlike cable, they are dedicated to each customer, not shared.

So if speed varies, it's either other usage in the home (which could include bots, virus, etc), OR the circuit is having trouble. In either case, best bet is to phone support.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-17-2014 at 02:28 PM.

8. TopTop #6

this was in Sonic.net's Fb feed recently as well, along with this Huffington Post article: "Good news for Sonic.net customers: Sonic.net is a Netflix OpenConnect partner today, and is Ultra HD and 3D enabled."
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_4770058.html

9. TopTop #7
    seenhear

I was going to hop on here and extol the virtues of Sonic.net's world-class customer service, but I was beaten to the punch by none other than the CEO himself. That just shows you what you can expect from Sonic.net. Not that you get to interact with Dane on a regular basis (although if you frequent their forums he does participate quite a bit) but rather that they just plain care, and their customer service shows it.

If I could be a Sonic.net customer again I would be in a flash. Unfortunately DSL at my house results in about 5mbps speeds, which just isn't enough for me. I was a customer 10 years ago when DSL was leading edge, and we were turning cartwheels if we tested speeds over 1mbps. But now I need much faster speeds and cable is the only way I can get it where I live (East Santa Rosa).

I hope Sonic.net finds the resources to continue to expand their fiber optic network. That is my only hope. Oh, how I hate Comcast, and their price gouging. But if you need 15+mbps, Comcast are the only choice in much of Sonoma County. Very few Fusion subscribers actually get over 15mpbs speeds, according to the graphs Dane has posted on dslreports.com.

But if you can live with the speeds Fusion will give you (up to 20mbps if you're super close to the CO box, down to ~3mbps at the lower limit at which they will sell Fusion) then you can not get a better ISP to deal with than Sonic.net

Since you live in Petaluma, check to see if your address lies within their fiber optic test region. If you can get that, do it. You will have the best, fastest private internet service in the country; speeds are supposedly 60-100mbps or so.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #8
    earthyred

so my partner called sonic today and found out that being on the east side of petaluma, our speeds would be really slow. i appreciate their honesty! unfortunately we'll have to stick with comcast for now.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by seenhear: View Post
    I was going to hop on here and extol the virtues of Sonic.net's world-class customer service, but....
    Last edited by Barry; 02-20-2014 at 02:57 PM.

12. TopTop #9
    seenhear

I must apologize, I made a huge mistake in my post. You live in Petaluma, and I was thinking Sebastopol for some reason (even though I typed Petaluma). Sebastopol is where Sonic's fiber optic to the home service is.
    Sorry if I got your hopes up. :(

Quote Posted in reply to the post by earthyred: View Post
    so my partner called sonic today and found out that being on the east side of petaluma, our speeds would be really slow. i appreciate their honesty! unfortunately we'll have to stick with comcast for now.

13. Gratitude expressed by: