Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ElJefe

Reclaiming Women's Circles

Dear Community,

I write to you all because I feel compelled to offer my voice regarding the “Women's Circles” which many of our friends are involved with. I am particularly referring here to the circles which require a $5,000 dollar gift upon entrance with the possibility of receiving $40,000 upon reaching “dessert.” I believe that the financial structure which underpins these circles is detrimental to both those involved and the surrounding community, of which I am a part. Therefore, I believe this to be a community issue, and out of a deep feeling of love and care for us all, I feel it my duty to speak out.

Many women believe that the financial structure of these circles is designed to empower women and create a “sacred, underground women's economy.” But this is not the case. That is because it is an “endless-chain scheme," based on infinite and exponential growth whereby a small minority -- about 12% of women in this case -- end up receiving $40,000 and a large majority -- about 88% -- “gift” away their $5,000 entrance fee. This financial structure is so unsustainable that within only 15rounds of the circle “splitting” and expanding, the whole population of women within Sonoma county (250,000) would be involved in circle. By round 23, all women within the continental UnitedStates would be involved. By round 25, all the money in US circulation (1.23 trillion) would be exhausted. See the link at the end of this letter showing the math very clearly.

A minority of people accruing wealth at the expense of the majority will never bring equality to women or empowerment to the whole. And that is anything but sacred. These kinds of financial structures have been used by con artists for decades to extract money from unsuspecting people.

Today, here in Sebastopol and the Bay area in general, this endless-chain scheme is clothed in language and psychology that is designed to appeal to the “new age” community, yet, its financial structure remains, in essence, the same. And here we see the two main aspects of these women’s circles. On the one hand, we have a pernicious financial scheme. On the other, we have a women’s support group, based, in their own words, on the “laws of attraction.” And it is this latter piece -- the women's support group -- that appears to be empowering for many women. If you are in circle then you are probably familiar with the deep love and support that is shared among women on the weekly calls. Many women friends have expressed to me how valuable and healing the group has been for them. It is apparent that here is a deep need for sisterhood in our community.

Given how much personal growth women appear to be receiving from their weekly calls, it’s understandable that there is so much confusion and resistance to the idea that some aspect of circle is harmful. Recognizing and admitting to the reality of this financial structure does not mean (as some would like you to believe) that you are “living in fear.” What it does mean is that you are able to acknowledge an inconvenient truth. Being with such a truth takes courage and vulnerability, strength and integrity. These are qualities I admire.

While it is the free choice of anyone to give their money away, it is deceptive not to tell incoming circle members about their real chances of receiving $40,000, which is, again, about 12%. If this is not happening, there is a lack of integrity. Yet, the circle documents themselves say that “every women has exactly the same opportunity.” This is untrue. If the commitment of circle is for every participating woman to have the same financial opportunity as everyone else, then this structure does not give that.

And it is not merely the case that you have bad odds of “receiving," for there is nothing inherently wrong with taking risks. What is reprehensible is that the people who enter early into circle are more likely to receive; the women who enter in late have a much smaller chance. That is because there is more women involved as the the game progresses, and less women available to join. Although the population of planet earth is, unfortunately, still increasing, the rate at which the circle increases far outpaces it. And what about the fact that women can “cycle” back in and reinvest after reaching dessert? It makes little difference because the number of dessert winners is so insignificant compared to the number of women needed to join.

I also believe it is wrong for incoming participants not to know that involvement in an endless-chain scheme, such as this one, is a federal and state offense, punishable with jail time and fines. In fact, the west coast is currently under investigation by the FBI. Women have gone to jail for participating in these Women's Circles, and probably will continue to do so. Some women in circle think this is an example of the government oppressing us, or a way for them to disempower us. I do not. Some laws are there for a good reason, including this one. I care about you all and I'd rather not see anyone go to jail.

I know that many of you in circle may be thinking “Well, all this maybe true of other groups, but I'm clear that my circle is in integrity.” It's certainly true that the women in your group may not be con artists. They may not be trying to deceive you.The problem is that no matter how much good intention and integrity is within the hearts of the people in your circle, the financial structure underpinning it is, and always will be, a harmful scheme. And, as long as you are participating in this financial system, there is nothing your good intentions can do to change this reality. Your participation allows it to perpetuate.

By withholding this vital information to those you invite, you are influencing their decision. Perhaps you feel you hold a high level of integrity and even plan to tell incoming participants all this information. Can you guarantee that the women you invite, and the women they invite, etc, will be upfront about the unsustainable financial structure and its illegal nature? No. The system itself is corrupt and needs to go. Why not create our own system, one that, if unchanged, will be safe and sustainable for future generations to come?

If you are truly committed to empowering women, would you lie to women about the financial structure they are participating in? Would you use an endless-chain scheme as your financial structure? The answer, I hope, is no. Neither of these empower women. It creates inequality and promotes competition in our communities.

Since this endless-chain scheme has spread throughout much of Sebastopol and West County, we must do what we can to reverse the inequality that has been done, while also preventing the perpetuation of this system. I am not suggesting that you quit your women’s circles. The support-group aspect of them will be fundamental to processing this information, and can provide a space for healing. What I am suggesting is that you do away with the disempowering financial structure. You have that choice. You get to choose how to move forward. You are not bound or subject to the circle documents or rules. If you have already “received,” I urge you to return the money back to the women who gave it to you. That will be justice. If you have already spent your money, create a loan agreement, have it notarized and pay it back in a reasonable amount of time.

There are many women and men who have learned this truth and are speaking out. Please stand in solidarity with us by giving your voice to this important community issue! And let us express our support inside the context of deep compassion, understanding and heart-felt empathy for the women who were involved and are still involved. If you think you do not know anyone in circle, you may be surprised. Membership in circle is supposed to be a secret... I wonder why?

Please take another few minutes to read through the links below. They contain very important information regarding these Women's Circles.

A slideshow about Women's Gifting Circles with the numbers showing exactly HOW these "circles" grow:
    https://www.slideshare.net/AmberBieg...ng-circles8513

Extracting Yourself from a Women's Gifting Circle with Integrity and Grace:
    https://www.sondrarose.com/extracting-yourself-from-a-womens-gifting-circle-with-integrity-and-grace

Here is an article from the Bohemian about these circles locally:
    https://www.bohemian.com/northbay/the-royal-scam/Content?oid=2482539

Love,
    Jeff

(With inspiration, support and sage advice from my courageous and wise partner and co-author, Danielle)

[See our discussion of the current wave of the Women's Gifting Circle from last August here. - Barry]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

3. TopTop #2
    ElJefe

Re: Reclaiming Women's Circles

It appears that someone, perhaps with administrator powers, added 2 pictures to my post without my consent. Although these pictures were from a slideshow that I linked to in my article, one of the pictures did not represent the compassion that I am trying to hold for the women involved in these circles. My apologies if this picture offended anyone. I have since removed it. I hope that my post will be honored and that no one with the capabilities will edit it without my consent. Thank you. -Jeff

[Sorry about that! - Barry]

4. TopTop #3
    joybird

Re: Women's Gifting Circle redux

I joined one about 25 years ago. It was coed. And we bought onto airplanes. I don't remember the cost for the big airplane but there were also piper's (I think ) that only cost $250. So I "only" lost $250.
    It too had a spiritual underpinning. The feeling was that we were going to change the way money flowed and do great things for our communities and the planet. Seed money for healing ventures etc. The in person meetings were very exciting and felt subversive to the dominant paradigm. Money for the people! Very seductive.
    I don't know who knew or not that it was a pyramid. I'm glad it's being discussed and brought to light again. Thanks Jeff for starting the conversation.

Joy

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Dixon

Jeff, thank you for adding your powerful and heartful voice to the crusade that I've been waging on Wacco off and on since 2005! Your position is virtually the same as what I've been saying. It bears repeating!

Coincidentally, the latest installment of my ongoing Wacco column The Gospel According to Dixon, entitled "Pyramid of Betrayal", is about this same topic! I submitted it to Barry a couple of weeks ago but, due to a family emergency, he's been too busy to publish it yet. But you'll see it soon, and your comments are welcome.

Thanks also to others who have spoken out in the various related threads. It's especially helpful, when we're talking about the women-only scams, to hear women speak up against them, as some women can hear the message better from females, so big thanks to Joy and other women who have spoken out (or will do so).

And of course, if anyone would like to present their position that things like the Women's "Wisdom" Circle are not ripoffs, let their voices be heard, too! Truth is best approached when all sides are heard, the better to sort the (gluten-free) wheat from the (recycled) chaff.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Article has been (just) posted!

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...rayal&p=176513

Yep, I've got 2 family members in need of support at the moment. My mom (living in Orange County) re-broke her hip in September and I still have a ways to goto resettle her, and I have recently taken over care of my psychotic sister (literally; living in LA) and she also needs to be resettled.

I'm doing my best to keep the wheels turning here. Please excuse my slow response, especially to private emails.

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Dixon

I hope you didn't think I was rushing you, Barry (how could I after my column was so late?).

And let me know if I can be supportive somehow around your family challenges. I think you have my phone number.

11. Gratitude expressed by: