Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    doertel

Hybrid Cars - Any tips?

I'm looking into poss trading my car in for a Hybrid, anyone have experience with these and any tips that might be helpful?

Thanks
    Debbie Oertel

p.s. Thanks for all the great referrals for estate liquidators.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-20-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    happeemark

Hybrid Cars - Any tips?

I have owned a 2013 Prius 3 Hybrid for one year.
    What great technology, well engineered, FANTASTIC mileage, plenty of power & room, wonderful sound system etc.

Had a Honda Civic Hybrid before the Prius and "in my opinon" the Prius has alot of advantages over the Honda Hybrid. There are alot of Hybrids on the market so the choice is vast. Depending on if you want a new or used, & the price range that your considering etc. I have been leasing cars since 03 and for me its a great way to get a new car and its VERY IMPT to get a care that has a STRONG resale value. If you want to chat further, send me an email ([email protected]) with your phone # & I will be pleased to help.
    Peace, Mark
    NOTE: I have a good contact at Freeman Toyota if needed!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by doertel: View Post
    I'm looking into poss trading my car in for a Hybrid, anyone have experience with these and any tips that might be helpful?

Thanks
    Debbie Oertel

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Dr Pam

Re: Hybrid Cars - Any tips?

Thanks
    Debbie Oertel

I bought one of the first Camry Hybrids in 2006. I love that car. It's roomier and a little more luxurious than a Prius, althought the new Prius hatchbacks have it beat for carrying space. I routinely get 40 mpg although only 35 was promised. I drive it to take advantage of the electric engine, with lots of coasting and forcing it into electric mode. My model doesn't have a button, but if you keep pumping the brakes at a stoplight, it goes into electric mode if there's any charge in the hybrid battery. Other drivers look at me like I'm crazy. Coasting in neutral and jamming it into drive also forces it into electric. No electric if you are going over 40 mph. The 4 cyldr engine gets up to 42 mpg highway if you aren't speeding and passing people.

The gas engine runs if you have the heater on, but not if you have the A/C on, which makes sense. I've only had one repair - a water pump. I was stupid enough to buy an extended warranty so the water pump was free. Never buy an extended warranty on a Toyota product except the SUVs. (Joke)

That's my $0.02. I'm keeping this car until the wheels fall off. Or until Toyota makes a convertible hybrid.

Pam
    Last edited by Barry; 01-22-2014 at 12:22 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    ravenwhale

I just bought a 2013 Prius, trim two, just shy of a month ago. The dealerships were offering great deals on their year end sales. I am going from a 2002 Camry to the Prius. Camry has 246,000 miles. Never had a problem with it. I'm keeping it in fact. I'm sold on Toyota's, but did look around at the other hybrids available. Ford, Honda, etc. Prius still has the best track record in my opinion, and MPG's. They say you don't get the best mileage until the new car smell wears off and I still have the new car smell and I am averaging 54-55 MPG. YouTube has a number of good videos you can watch with tips on how to get your best mileage with the Prius. Toyota is expected to come out with a completely re-designed Prius in 2015. The 2013 and 2014 are virtually identical, so if you can find any 2013's around, you can probably get a pretty good deal. Will just have to settle for a color you may not love.

I have only put gas in the vehicle once sine I bought it on 12/27/13. It came with a full tank.

Our local dealers are pretty much Freeman and Hansel. I bought my Camry in 2001 at Hansel, and continued to take it to their service department for the following 13 years. I have been nothing but pleased with their service at Hansel. I also feel the same way about the sales department, but would suggest you stop in both places to get a feel for the sales people, but, wherever you buy it, I would suggest you take it to Hansel for service.

Consumer Reports also rated the Prius the Best New Car Value in 2013.
    https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/shopping-new-car-consumer-reports-names-toyota-prius-best-nissan-armada-worst-new-car-article-1.1551431

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Debbie Oertel

Last edited by Barry; 01-23-2014 at 10:15 AM.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    doertel

Thanks for your response, I am looking for a used one when I get a value on my present car I'll have a better idea of what my budget will be, I'm guessing 8000. or 9000., is it possible to get one for that price range? I'm hoping for a hatchback as I'm a caregiver/photographer/jewelry maker and often have to carry wheel chairs, dogs, jewelry racks, photo equipment etc.. My main concern other than gas mileage is the seats convert level, I have a hard time with back pain when sitting for anything over 20 min. How would you rate the seats convert level?

Thanks again for your time, I know its a valuable commodity these days.

Debbie
    Last edited by Barry; 01-23-2014 at 09:03 AM.

9. TopTop #6
    doertel

WOW that is GREAT gas mileage, I'm getting 12mpg w/trailblazer (was getting 22mpg six months ago). This was the only vehicle I could find at that time that had the room and convert level I need, plus after several car accidents (non of which were my fault just sayn) I'm a little scared to drive a small car, do you know how the Prius holds up in a crash?

Debbie
    The one looking to not be ashamed of myself with my gas usage.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ravenwhale: View Post
    ... I am averaging 54-55 MPG. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-23-2014 at 09:04 AM.

10. TopTop #7
    Dr Pam

... I'm a little scared to drive a small car, do you know how the Prius holds up in a crash?...
    According to Motortrend.com, the 2005 Prius, which is the one in your price range, rates a 5/5 star crash rating for front impact driver side. None of the other crash ratings for that model Prius are less than 4 stars.

You didn't give the year of your Trailblazer, but I assume it's between 2004 and 2006. The front impact driver side crash rating for those years is only 3 out of 5 stars. You have your best shot in the back seat at 5/5, but if the thing rolls over, forget it. Back down to 3/5.

Don't assume that because something is big and lumbering, it is safe. How many airbags does it have? How does it handle? How does it brake? How is the engine mounted? How thick is the firewall? Where is the center of gravity and how likely is it to roll over?

As far as comfort, you just have to sit in one.

There has to be something wrong for your gas mileage to have gotten so bad. There's a leak in the fuel line or a hole in the gas tank or something.

Dr Pam
    Last edited by Barry; 01-23-2014 at 09:05 AM.

11. TopTop #8
    doertel

Re: Hybrid Cars -How long do they last ?

Just thought of a couple more questions, what's the max odometer mileage does the Prius/or other Hybrids hold up to or how long does the battery last?
    Is it expensive to replace battery?

12. TopTop #9
    Dr Pam

Just thought of a couple more questions, what's the max odometer mileage does the Prius/or other Hybrids hold up to or how long does the battery last?
    There are several articles about this on consumerreports.org, but I haven't figured out how to cut and paste on my tablet. Google "how does the prius hold up consumer reports."

Another source said less than 1% of the Priuses that have been on the road since 2002 have had the hybrid battery fail. This is an argument offered by a car salesman who doesn't have any hybrids.

Dr Pam

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #10
    kdelse

My 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid only got to 120,000 miles and 9 years old ( I was the only owner). That was with Honda of America footing the bill for a new transmission computer about a year before the transmission failed. The battery I replaced both the hybrid type battery and the regular engine battery at some point. Be prepared for all the parts and maitenence costing more than for a normal car. Newer Hybrids may be better than mine was but I didn't choose to buy another Hybrid after my experience. I'm hoping my new Civic will last much longer.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #11
    nicofrog

Here's one thing to watch out for with a Prius

My Partner bought a 2011 Prius that was about 9 years old,It became ten while we had it(I was unimpressed with its power and handling characteristics, drove a bit like a vw bus.
    The battery failed at about 19 days past warranty a new one installed was about 4000 Toyota was quite strict about warranty date . The steering rack failed twice the warranty people sent the mechanic used parts to fix it (not a dealership warranty)

A New Headlight even for an older model(if you break it) is about 400-500 dollars ,(a new headlight for my 89 Toyota truck is $5.00 )

when something goes minutely wrong with the car ,it turns off and must be towed to the dealership,I'ts on a leash to Toyota it is a computer with wheels . Your local car fixer guy who works for cheaper cannot work on it.

it would probably void the warranty

my ol' toyota truck stick shift get's 30 ,35 even forty because I drive slow(speed limit), turn it OFF at street lights..

it has fuel injection so it starts instantly,people have said I will wear out the starter ,so far so good in 5 years of doing this no problem with starter..

About getting HIT by other cars usually from behind . I practice an annoying habit I cal uber-defensive driving
    I refuse to allow "people" (and their deadly weapons) to drive behind me above 30 miles an hour without observing correct following distance,they KNOW I'm up there,they are NOT on their phone, and they are paying attention to me.
    fist I lightly blink the brake-lights,if that does not work,I put on the emergency blinkers . if that fails I slow down almost unoticably ,these folks gerally left late ,and think thy aer going to make up for it by speeding so they pass,if on the freeway,if not then I can pick up speed and at least 50% of the time I have a safe buffer(I have been hit from behind three times ,one was on their phone.) I wave at them, I get their attention ,people are in denial generally about the danger of moving 3 tons of steel on rubber wheels at 60 miles an hour,It is VERY VERY dangerous.They are "sleep driving" thinking about other things.
    and in Santa Rosa,if a light has changed,you seem to get a 5 second reprieve from the law,so when you see green do not just "go" until you check for tweaker boy in his junk rod gunning it through.
    check mirrors every 10 seconds when in traffic. Make sure they are adjusted correctly ,always turn you head before changing lanes,the do it CAREFULLY and slowly.

[IMGRGR]I'm looking into poss trading my car in for a Hybrid, anyone have experience with these and any tips that might be helpful?

Thanks
    Debbie Oertel