Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    StormDancer

Dental work - Time vs Money

I am on medicare and I am currently having a lot of very expensive work done on my mouth. How do I afford it?
    I looked for years for a decent dentist that would take Denti-cal. Good luck. Someone recommended using a dental school. There are 2 in San Francisco and another one in Davis. I chose University of the Pacific in SF. Every visit takes a minimum of 2 hours by the time the instructor authorizes the work the student thinks is appropriate; the student performs the work and the instructor re-checks it. Add in the 5 hours on busses that it takes to get there and back and you have literally spent all day for one dental appointment. That is the down side.
    The up side is that I have had consultations with the best in periodontics, restorations and orthdontics. There is no way denti-cal would pay for this but because it is a school and they are looking to produce outstanding dentists, I win. The instructors are outstanding dentists from a variety of specialties who have left private practice to teach. The work my student does is first rate and in many cases, it is for a final grade.
    I have been treated with compassion and respect. The school works with what ever insurance you have, and helps you set up a payment plan if the procedures are not covered. Most people I have talked to end up paying less than 1/2 what they would with a private dentist.
    I have time. I don't have money. It works for me.
    -AnnaLisa
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #62
    Sereia

Re: Wanted: Dentist

I've had alot of dental work done over the years and am really happy with my current dentist, Silvano Senn. He's warm and personable, and really gentle. He goes out of his way to make his dentistry painless. His dental assistant, a man whose name I can never remember, is wonderful as well. I always feel so taken care of when I come out of there.

3. TopTop #63
    Ayla

Re: Need Referral Mercury Free Dentist

Mary Ellen Chalmers in Santa Rosa is amazing. I have been to Oloph, and many others in this area. Mary Ellen is the most real person, grounded, dentist I have ever met. She is a great technician, combines biological dentistry with evidence based research. She is certainly not any more expensive than Oloph, but I find her to be much more open. She really understands the effects of dentistry on the body and works with patients on many levels.
    Carolyn Ringo

4. TopTop #64
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Hi Everybody on this Dentist thread,

Some of you are wondering why you are getting individual emails of new posts to this thread.

The way WaccoBB.net works, by default, is to register you for individual email updates to any thread you start or post to. You can change both the default behavior or just unsubscribe from updates on this thread.

For more information, see: How to change your subscription for a thread in the WaccoBB.net FAQ category.

5. TopTop #65
    robbibaba

Re: Dentist referrals

I'm leaving for Chiang Mai Thailand in a few weeks. Alas, I need four crowns and some other work and even seeing my bargain basement dentist here in Santa Rosa, the estimate is about $4000. I'm sure Dr. Senn or Dr. Granaff would charge much much more.

I'm going to the Grace Dental Clinic and expect to pay around $1500. My airfare and such comes in under $1000. And I get to have a very lovely time in Thailand, where a gorgeous hotel costs $15 day and wonderful Thai meals can be as low as 75 cents. Maybe I can bring back some Hill Tribe stuff to sell and support them and help pay off my airfare.

I also expect to get better care than I would here. Probably better even than Dr. Senn (gasp!).
    The thing is, Grace Dental Clinic is the most expensive in Chiang Mai. It has European trained dentists and absolutely up to the minute technology. If I were more daring, or needed less intense work, I could find good work for even less money.

I was originally planning to go to Mexico, but my wife said NO! Too dangerous these days. Costa Rica is another good option, but I happen to love Thailand very much.

So yes, there are other options out there. I'll be writing about my 'medical tourism' on my blog Wild Blue Yonder if you'd like to follow along.

cheers
    Last edited by Barry; 01-09-2009 at 08:41 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #66
    Dynamique

The sad part about this is that the European trained dentists in Thailand probably had their dental training paid for by the Thai government, including a stipend for living expenses, so they are not burdened with $100K to $200K of student loans and credit card debt when they finish dental school.

That's one reason why these overseas doctors and dentists are so much less expensive: their governments understand that if you want to have trained, competent people to care for the population, they must make the investment in training them. Most of the folks here in the U.S. are just now starting to piece that one together.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by robbibaba: View Post
    I'm leaving for Chiang Mai Thailand in a few weeks. Alas, I need four crowns and some other work and even seeing my bargain basement dentist here in Santa Rosa, the estimate is about $4000. I'm sure Dr. Senn or Dr. Granaff would charge much much more.

8. TopTop #67
    robbibaba

I agree. It's sad for us, but maybe that can change. It seems like we could borrow a page from Cuba and set up training hospitals and make doctor/nurse training essentially free, to flood the 'market' with qualified people--who are required to provide inexpensive services for a time in exchange for their training. Just makes sense.
    Unless you own an insurance company. Or belong to the AMA.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dynamique: View Post
    The sad part about this is that the European trained dentists in Thailand probably had their dental training paid for by the Thai government, including a stipend for living expenses, so they are not burdened with $100K to $200K of student loans and credit card debt when they finish dental school.

That's one reason why these overseas doctors and dentists are so much less expensive: their governments understand that if you want to have trained, competent people to care for the population, they must make the investment in training them. Most of the folks here in the U.S. are just now starting to piece that one together.

9. TopTop #68
    Vet-To-Pet

I think you're thinking along the right direction, but one still has to keep in mind that the people who would be taught/trained to be health professionals still would need to have the necessary intelligence to understand the difficult courses they be taking to become capable of treating patients correctly, and, they'd have to have the interest to do that sort of work---who'd want to be treated by someone who'd rather be an economist, an attorney, a baker, or whatever holds their passion? So, yes, let's help train the people who are interested in doing this kind of work for a living, as well as ones who understand what they're doing so mistakes won't be made.
    Vet-To-Pet

Quote Posted in reply to the post by robbibaba: View Post
    I agree. It's sad for us, but maybe that can change. It seems like we could borrow a page from Cuba and set up training hospitals and make doctor/nurse training essentially free, to flood the 'market' with qualified people--who are required to provide inexpensive services for a time in exchange for their training. Just makes sense.
    Unless you own an insurance company. Or belong to the AMA.

10. TopTop #69
    Dynamique

Of course... people are supported in pursuing these careers, not forced into it. They're not going to waste money on someone who is not qualified and/or is a slacker.

In many countries, especially what is now the E.U., children are tested for vocational aptitude and also to determine which will be on a university track and which will apprentice for a trade. These evaluations are a big deal and they know it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Vet to Pet: View Post
    I think you're thinking along the right direction, but one still has to keep in mind that the people who would be taught/trained to be health professionals still would need to have the necessary intelligence to understand the difficult courses they be taking to become capable of treating patients correctly, and, they'd have to have the interest to do that sort of work---who'd want to be treated by someone who'd rather be an economist, an attorney, a baker, or whatever holds their passion? So, yes, let's help train the people who are interested in doing this kind of work for a living, as well as ones who understand what they're doing so mistakes won't be made.
    Vet-To-Pet

11. TopTop #70
    Philip Tymon

Re: Need Referral Mercury Free Dentist

I have been going to Walter Baker in Guerneville for about two years now. He is about half the price of any other dentist and very professional (a bit of an oddball, but that's good). I've had two crowns put in and a chipped tooth fixed, among other standard care. His number is: 869-8341.

Philip Tymon

12. TopTop #71
    rawglow

Natural Dentist in Petaluma or RP?

Does anyone know if there is a natural dentist in Petaluma or RP?

Thanks,
    Cecilia

13. TopTop #72
    starcloud

Hi,
    I have been going to Dr. Benstock in Seb. for years. He also advertises on the KRSH radio station. He is a good guy, & doesn't hurt.
    Starcoud

14. TopTop #73
    roheti

Referals?

I am looking for a dentist in Sebastopol or Santa Rosa. They need to be very clean and kind and understanding to my needs. Humm...
    Also, I am also looking for a very knowledgeable nutritionist/herbalist, holistic healer. One of my family members is going to Hill Park Medical Center and seeing Dr. Brian Bouch MD, but it is very expensive and so far, I don't know how it will go. Thank you so much for your thoughts and interest.

15. TopTop #74
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Referrals?

Hi Rose,

Dr. Oloph Granath (https://www.stunningsmiles.com/) is the person who comes to mind when I think of your request. He is very "clean, kind and understanding" and has an extraordinary wholistic orientation. Not cheap, but trustworthy and worth it.

Barry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by roheti: View Post
    I am looking for a dentist in Sebastopol or Santa Rosa. They need to be very clean and kind and understanding to my needs. Humm...
    Also, I am also looking for a very knowledgeable nutritionist/herbalist, holistic healer. One of my family members is going to Hill Park Medical Center and seeing Dr. Brian Bouch MD, but it is very expensive and so far, I don't know how it will go. Thank you so much for your thoughts and interest.

16. TopTop #75
    Gayla

Dentist Referal

I am looking for a dentist in Sebastopol or Santa Rosa. They need to be very clean and kind and understanding to my needs.
    I am very picky about dentists. When I lived in Nevada City, for eleven years, I used to drive 150 miles (each way) to Mill Valley to see my former dentist. When he retired, some years ago, I was fortunate to find Dr Yee. He is a sincerely caring person with a big heart. His office is in an unassuming building, but it holds state of the art technology and wonderful staff. Check out his website: WineCountrySmiles.com
    Lyle J. Yee, DDS
    5445 Snyder Lane, Rohnert Park, CA 94928
    Wine Country Smiles - Lyle J. Yee, DDS - Rohnert Park, California Dentist
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2009 at 10:27 AM.

17. TopTop #76
    tezor

Re: Referals?

For a nutritionilist,I would recommend Mary-Sheila Gonnella in Occidental at 508 5379 Best of luck, b

18. TopTop #77
    sheila95472

Hi Rose,

I have heard wonderful things about a Dr. Ken Bower in Santa Rosa from two of my friends for years. Good luck, "understanding and kind" are so important in a dentist!

Sheila

19. TopTop #78
    ywv
    Supporting Member

Re: Referrals?

My children and I use Dr. Bryce Hetler 707.824.5454. He and his staff and office are very clean, but more important to me he is very gentle and puts the patient before his ego. When he says if it hurts lift your finger and he will stop he means it.

Yvette

20. TopTop #79
    hlfgrand

Dentist referral please

Hi,
    I'm relatively new to the area and desperately need GOOD dentist recommendation. How's about: nice person; reasonable rates; concerned with doing excellent job; assuage my terror.
    Thanks so much,
    Bev

21. TopTop #80
    auntjennifer

Re: Dentist referral please

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hlfgrand: View Post
    Hi,
    I'm relatively new to the area and desperately need GOOD dentist recommendation. How's about: nice person; reasonable rates; concerned with doing excellent job; assuage my terror.
    Thanks so much,
    Bev
    I LOVE my dentist! How often do you hear someone say that? Dr. Robert Didier in Santa Rosa at Fountaingrove Dentistry on Mendocino Ave. Great dentist, good sense of humor, has taught at UCSF...He's absolutely fabulous.

22. TopTop #81
    Sean B

Rose-
    I give my highest recommendation to Patricia Webb, DDS, in Sebastopol. The work she and her staff does is the best I've experienced. She is warm and reassuring, but candid and matter-of-fact. Due to financial changes in recent times I've turned to The UCSF Dental School in SF, and I want to recommend that option also for anyone who might read this whose situation necesitates really economical dental care. Be aware, though, that it is slow.
    Good luck.
    -Sean B

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #82
    Bird Watcher

Re: Need Dentist Recommendations

My recommendation is Scott Benstock in Sebastopol. I had hesitated to mention it earlier, because he's also a close friend. But his practice is first rate with a great staff, he's a hip guy, and while I don't get much work done besides cleaning, I've had other family members and friends who needed extensive work done who have had no complaints. I don't know about comparable pricing...

BENSTOCK, SCOTT, D.D.S.
    652 Petaluma Avenue, Suite A
    Sebastopol, CA 95472
    www.benstockdentalcare.com
    Map

(707) 823-5339
    Fax: (707) 823-1891

25. TopTop #83

For a dentist, I highly recommend Dr. Silvano Senn, 707-823-9500. Compassionate, gentle, holistic, in Sebastopol, I find his rates to be lower than my experience in the East Bay.

For an herbalist/holistic practitioner I highly recommend Susan Gray in Sebastopol. She has been treating me with chinese herbs & acupuncture and the results have been terrific. She's very intuitive and very holistically minded, knowledgeable about nutrition as well. I can't recommend her enough. 707-478-8406 Sure, she costs more than the low-cost acupuncture clinics and schools, but her experience, knowledge, and intuitive skill stands head and shoulders above others I have experienced.

26. TopTop #84
    MarinaMichaels

Remember that dentist in Little Shop of Horrors? The one who delighted in inflicting dental pain? Once, when I was a child, I had that dentist (my mother never took me back, thank goodness), and I had severe dental fear for decades after. Still do, to a little bit. Seriously, who wants someone rooting around in your mouth with sharp needles and metal instruments?

However, I have had the good luck of finding good dentists wherever I have lived. It sounds like there are a lot of them here in Sonoma County! The one I have been seeing is Dr. Paul Yeager over on Yulupa in Santa Rosa. (Not too far from Whole Foods.) He's gentle, has a great hygienist, does not use mercury, is up on the latest technologies, and does great work. Paul R. Yeager, DDS - Santa Rosa Dentist - Cosmetic, Restorative, and Sedation Dentistry

I don't know how his prices compare to other dentists in the area, but you can certainly call and ask. It is too bad that dentists charge so very much in this area.
    Last edited by MarinaMichaels; 05-11-2010 at 03:49 AM.

27. TopTop #85
    chrisg

I highly recommend Dr. Harry Albers in Santa Rosa for too many reasons to list here. Even my formerly dentist-averse wife, after a visit or two, enthusiastically signed up to do all the work needed. The results have been impressive! Please google on Dr. Harry Albers dentist to see his C.V. for yourself. He's a good guy on so many levels.

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #86
    Gina Williams

Holistic Dentist

Hello,

I'm looking for a good dentist in Sebastopol - holistic if possible! Any suggestions?

Thanks so much ~ Gina

30. TopTop #87
    Annakist

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Allen: View Post
    I need to find a new dentist in the West Sonoma County Area. We live near Sebastopol. Please tell me why you feel your dentist is good . I need a Blue Cross dentist...but don't worry about that, just give me some names and I will check my Blue Cross list. [I know there is only one member in Sebastopol and that is E.S. Jang.]
    I've been going to Dr. Patricia Webb for years. Great dentist and great office in Sebastopol. 823-6010.

Good luck!

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #88
    erimbaugh

I have found Silvano Senn-- and his dental hygenest-- to be quite copasetic. Dr Senn has placed an emphasis on preventive care and he himself is simply a gentle, caring human being. If anyone could invent a Tao of Dentistry (with the blessing of the ADA), I believe it would be Dr Senn. His office itself is located near the French Garden in Sebastopol and there's a really nice inner courtyard area from parking to office. Address: 120 Pleasant Hill, Sebastopol, CA 95472.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Annakist: View Post
    I've been going to Dr. Patricia Webb for years. Great dentist and great office in Sebastopol. 823-6010.

Good luck!

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #89
    just right repair

My recommendation would be for Armen Kupelian D.D.S..I have special concerns for my dental work due to complications from treatment of throat and tongue cancer. Dr. Kupelian is friendly, bright and through, I, have no reservations in recommending him.
    Thank you, Paul

Armen Kupelian 40 Arlen Dr. Rohnert Park, CA - 707-795-5419

35. Gratitude expressed by:

36. TopTop #90
    Crow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Allen: View Post
    I need to find a new dentist in the West Sonoma County Area. We live near Sebastopol. Please tell me why you feel your dentist is good . I need a Blue Cross dentist...but don't worry about that, just give me some names and I will check my Blue Cross list. [I know there is only one member in Sebastopol and that is E.S. Jang.]

Scott Benstock D.D.S
    823-5339
    excellent dentist in Sebastopol
    https://www.benstockdentalcare.com/