Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    fluteman

Looking for Holistic Dentist

Looking for a Holistic Dentist in or near Sebastopol. Thanks! :)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #32
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Looking for Holistic Dentist

See this thread: Wanted: Dentist for many referrals. Dr. Silvano Senn is probably your guy (823-9500). Tell him WaccoBB.net sent you!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by fluteman: View Post
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:47 AM.

3. TopTop #33
    paultous

Re: Looking for Holistic Dentist

Silvano Senn, DDS
    120 Pleasant Hill, #150
    Sebastopol.
    823-9500

Mercury Free white fillings.
    Non-surgical approach to gum disease.
    Digital X-Rays: reduces radiation up to 90%.
    Air Abrasion: no drill, no needle for some fillings.
    Homeopathic/Anthroposophic remedies.
    Vitamins/Mineral supplements.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by fluteman: View Post

4. TopTop #34
    CharlieRebich

Looking for good dentist recommendation

Hi Out There,

I haven't been to a dentist in 15 years but I think I have a cavity and I guess I should finally go.

Does anyone have a good recommendation out there. I live in Sebastopol and would love to find someone who is really competant and reasonably priced. I don't have dental insurance and it doesn't seem worth it to get the insurance now. I am also curious what peoples opinions are about getting dental insurance.

Thanks so much for your time and advice.

Warmest Wishes,
    Charlie Rebich

5. TopTop #35
    Conrad Larkin

Re: Looking for good dentist recommendation

R. Silvano Senn in Sebastopol. 823-9500. A "natural" dentist. Excellent.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:42 AM.

6. TopTop #36
    Helen Shane

I've been seeing Dr. Rose Luchessi for over a year, and am very happy with her. My husband just switched to her, too, and he likes her.

She is reasonable, pleasant, and an all round good dentist. She is on Petaluma Blvd.

7. TopTop #37
    poetrytalks

Hi Charlie,
    Dr. Baker is the best dentist in my experience, and his prices are great.
    707 869-8349, Guernville.
    Sher

8. TopTop #38
    animated225

Quote Posted in reply to the post by [email protected]: View Post
    R. Silvano Senn in Sebastopol. 823-9500. A "natural" dentist. Excellent.
    HI,

Dr Wiseman in Santa Rosa is fantastic. You will be very pleased.....

9. TopTop #39
    littlemommyfae

thekenwooddentist.com

Keith Boxerman, Kenwood...Excellent!!!Capitol E

Very nice, gental, man...in the past would allow payments.

The Kenwood Dentist
    Keith Boxerman, DDS

We treat our patients as family with a kind touch, a positive healthy approach while providing beautiful, comfortable, precise dentistry.

Office Hours:
    Monday thru Thursday 8:00AM to 4:00PM

8855 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood, CA 95452…Conveniently located in Kenwood right on Highway 12

Call Us to schedule an appointment

Or write us to: [email protected]

10. TopTop #40
    Erika

I have been seeing Dr. Azmoudeh in Santa Rosa (at Hwy 12 and Farmer's Lane) for 10 years and am very happy. He is a wonderful dentist, very personable as well as up to date on the latest technology and he has a delightful staff. 576-1416

Erika
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:42 AM.

11. TopTop #41
    tenzzi

Silvano.........he takes into account if you are paying cash......he has been so kind and fair to me ....I could not say enough good about him.....and you notice everyone who has suggested him refers to him by his first name....that alone tells you something........Good Luck.....Ron/tenzzi
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:41 AM.

12. TopTop #42
    CharlieRebich

Thank you everyone for your replies and recommendations. I really appreciate it. It think wacco is such a great community. I tried to call Dr. Silvano's office, left a message, but nobody called back . Maybe he is so busy he can't take new patients.

Another thread here on Wacco recommended Dr. McNeal in Occidental. They sounded nice on the phone, somewhat holistic and reasonably priced so I think I am going to try him. I will post how it goes.

Thanks again and warmest regards,
    Charlie

13. TopTop #43
    CharlieRebich

Just so you all know, Dr. Silvano did call back me back today. I have heard so many good things about him but I already made the appointment with Dr. McNeal.

Be well,
    Charlie

14. TopTop #44
    BizWrangler

I recently went to Dr. Silvano Senn for the first time. He did a great job, however after I'd paid in full (he gave a small discount for paying in full with cash) I got another bill for $250 that was unexpected. I have to follow up and find out why. He's a great dentist, however if you want laughing gas, he does not use it in his practice. That was a detail I should have asked first. It could be he's on vacation right now. He advertises, so I am sure he is taking new patients. He took me, and that was just recently. Good luck!
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:41 AM.

15. TopTop #45
    Kate22

Hi

We live in SR and find that the drive to H-burg to see Dr. Mark Alexander to be more than well worth the trip. He's the most gentle, kind and knowledgable dentist I've ever seen and at 54, I've seen a lot. Addtionally, one of my kids who was taught to be terrified of dentists by a local community med/dental place and had to get knocked out to have work done on his teeth has found peace enough at Dr. Alexander's that my kid doesn't even need to take a valium when going there. This man is the real thing. You can reach him at 433-2425. He's marvelous and I don't say that lightly.

most sincerely
    Kate Sholl
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:45 AM.

16. TopTop #46
    radianttreasure

Need Referral Mercury Free Dentist

Does anyone know of an excellent Mercury Free Dentist? I want to have some fillings removed and I'm looking for someone who is proficient and knows about Mercury Detoxification.

Thanks for your help.

Blessings,
    Misha
    Last edited by radianttreasure; 10-30-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: mispelling

17. TopTop #47
    sharingwisdom

Re: Need Referral Mercury Free Dentist

As a former dental hygienst who has been into alternatives for years, I highly recommend Marie Mallory www.drmallory.com . She is very holistic, spiritual and conscious. 542-7800; 76 Doctors Park Dr./ 1820 Sonoma Ave., Santa Rosa; Mon-Thurs 8 to1 and 2 to 5

There is also a dentist, Tom McGuire, who only does mercury detoxification testing and counseling in Sebastopol. (no general dentistry) He has a wonderful website and has written books on the topic. You can check Tom out at
    www.dentalwellness4u.com https://www.mercuryfreenow.com/freeservices/find_dentists.html

Best, Judy
    www.thetamedicalintuition.com
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:44 AM.

18. TopTop #48
    jeffreyiam

try contacting Dr Mary Chalmers in sants rosa
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2007 at 09:44 AM.

19. TopTop #49
    cocreator

Oloph Granath, DDS, has been my dentist since I moved to Sonoma County a decade ago: https://www.stunningsmiles.com, 707-528-9411

He know the protocols for proper and safe mercury removal (he removed all of mine), uses the most up-to-date dental methods, and is completely holistic. Plus the staff is highly experienced, friendly and helpful.

When you call and Connie answers the phone, feel free to tell her I sent you.

Blessings,
    Amara

20. TopTop #50
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by radianttreasure: View Post
    Does anyone know of an excellent Mercury Free Dentist? I want to have some fillings removed and I'm looking for someone who is proficient and knows about Mercury Detoxification.

Thanks for your help.

Blessings,
    Misha
    Hi Misha, et al,

I have merged this thread with our ongoing, ever popuplar, compilation of dentist commendations. If you view this thread on the website you will see them all!

You'll notice that Dr. Silvano Senn (120 Pleasant Hill, #150, Sebastopol, 823-9500) seems to be the favorite, and I recommend him as well! Tell him WaccoBB.net sent you!

21. TopTop #51
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

Re: Cheap Dentist (Yes another dentist thread)

Not sure what is considered "cheap"... but I have chosen to go to Vineyard Dental Group for my root canal.

they quoted me anywhere from 1225.00 - 1980.00 for root canal with crown.

If you are just going in for the crown, it may be less!

Good luck to you!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by macymcfarland: View Post
    So I did a search and could find all sorts of posts on holistic, kind, local or foreign dentist, but nothing about cheap dentist.

I have to have a crown done, and my dentist quoted me $1500.00. Anyone know of "cheaper" dentists locally? And if not, how to make a trip to Mexico for dentistry payoff.

thanks
    macy

22. TopTop #52
    MandM

Re: Wanted: Dentist

I just moved to Santa Rosa and I have been to James J Forni, 4655 Hoen Ave # 5, Santa Rosa. He is not cheap, but the best I've been to. A real pro, very talented. He will listen to you and let you know all that he is about to do and is doing. Very reassuring, very good "bedside" manner. Actually makes you feel good and want to take care of your teeth, no matter what state they are in. Hope this helps.

23. TopTop #53
    typewriter

Re: Need Dentist Recommendations:

I just wanted to add my vote for John Minye in Santa Rosa --he actually recently moved to a shopping center at the end of Farmer's Lane near Flamingo Hotel.

He and his staff are wonderful and his hygienist Gail will give you the cleaning of your life!

He and his practice are also very environmentally/socially conscious. Staff are all/most Spanish/English bilingual. For people who are dentist-aphobic he is very sensitive, calm, and will let you know every step before proceeding. I've seen him for almost 10 years and have never had any problems with my dental work.

There's a Thai place in the shopping center that's great, too!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    This may be a bit far for you folks out in west county, but the best dentist in Santa Rosa (in my humble opinion) is Dr. John Minye. He is kind and gentle and does not use Mercury fillings and takes different kinds of insurance and will take payments. He is out on Hwy 12 at 4372 Sonoma Highway. 539-8762 I have been going to him for years. He took over the practice when Dr. Liles passed away.
    Good luck, and don't forget to floss : )
    Tom

24. TopTop #54
    pandasnorth

Re: Wanted: Dentist

After having the same dentist for my family and self for 25 yrs, I was unabel to keep up the high costs, even with insurance. I found that the insurance would not cover much of a percentage of anything and cosmetic work was not covered at all.
    I was forced to leave the country and seek out help elsewhere. It was affordabel and doable and urgent. So I went to Costa Rica.

I was referred by my long time dentist Dr. Robert Didier, Santa Rosa to Dr. Jarvis in Winsor for extractions, implants or a partial. I was unable to afford any of their prices and he would only accept CASH. NO CREDIT.

I was forced to leave the country to find help elsewhere. I was quoted $4000. for EACH implant by Dr. Jarvis in Winsor. I needed four implants and a crown for $1500. I have good credit, Visa, Am. Ex. None were acceptable. I was shocked!!! Like I said, he wanted CASH ONLY.

I used my Visa in Costa Rica. It cost me $4000. for FOUR implants and a crown. AND THEY TOOK MY VISA!!!

The work I had done was excellent quality. I went back to see my long time dentist Dr. Didier in Santa Rosa to show him the work I had done and to get his approval. He thought it was perfect.

I am leaving in Dec. again to get more work done. I had two OLD crowns break off and they need to be repaired. I went to see Dr. Didier and he wanted $1500 for the one tooth.
    So I am going to Costa Rica again just for dental work. I of course will try to vacation some too. The plane ticket is cheap and well, this was my solution and I am glad I did it.

25. TopTop #55
    Vet-To-Pet

Dentist referrals

Recently (about a month or two ago) I posted asking for a referral for a local (I'm in Sebastopol) dentist. I got a few replies, and more than a few recommended Dr Senn, right here in Sebastopol. I made an appointment because I'd broken a tooth & had dallied long enough---I knew I had to have it fixed. Of course they took updated radiographs & examined my entire mouth. Mind you, I've had a LOT of work done on my teeth over the past 20 years or so, and I hadn't been to the dentist for awhile (approx. 2.5 years), so I expected some other problems to be present. However, when I was presented with the 'estimate' ( or "service plan" as their office calls it), which was broken down into two "phases", I almost fainted. the total was almost $10,000. Okay, he's a very nice man & I'm sure he's a competent dentist, but doe that seem awfully expensive to anyone else? I "need" some specialized crowns & a bridge, but still.....

Did the people who recommended Dr Senn have any major dental work done lately? I've lived in a variety of places around the country, and paying over $3300 for a bridge seems a 'tad' high to me, based on what I've paid in the past & allowing for fees to have gone up since my last dental visit/work. Do you people realize that there are MANY places where one doesn't have to sell one's home to have dental work done? I'm not too thrilled with this recommendation, since I know I'm being WAY overcharged. People who've lived around here for any significant length of time don't seem to realize that there's another whole world out "there", where dentists cgarge something like $500 to $600 for a bridge, not $1,100. You've gotten complacent & don't argue with the fees you're told to pay because you think "that's just how much it costs". But it doesn't ! Very nice man, nice staff, but he can afford to get hair plugs (at least it looks like that's what they are to me)--too much disposable income! The itemized estimate listed "full mouth debridement" (cleaning) at $88, and then it lists "prophylaxis" )polishing/flouride treatment) for another $88. Hear me now & hear me well: Everyone around here (Sonoma county) is paying WAY too much for dental care, if Sr Senn is a typical example. You're probably paying too much for a LOT of things since you haven't done any research/comparisons about what those fees cover elsewhere. I'm certainly going to ask about each & every fee listed on my estimate when I call their office and tell them I can't afford to have my teeth fixed by them. They KNOW they're charging outrageous feees because they hand out brochures, as you leave, informing you about companies that offer payment plans in order to stretch your $10,000 over various numbers of months---it;s like buying a car! And it's NOT right!
    Thank you for your referrals, sincerely, but I think I'll have my dental work done elsewhere. Even the cost of flying to Iowa to have this work done would probably cost less!
    Paula/Vet-To-Pet

26. TopTop #56
    Bryan

Re: Dentist referrals

Hi - $10,000 sounds high so maybe shop the estimate around to other dentists.

I use Dr. Scott Benstock in Sebastopol. I have used him for a number of years without any complaints. He has done crowns and partial crowns for me, as well as a lot of the normal stuff. He is very approachable and cares a lot about each patient and the specific treatment being done that day.
    His staff is excellent too.

I have used for root canals Dr. Waterman in Santa Rosa - absolutely fantastic guy who only does root canals.

I hope you find someone more within your budget. Good luck

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #57
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bryan: View Post
    Hi - $10,000 sounds high so maybe shop the estimate around to other dentists. ...
    I have used for root canals Dr. Waterman in Santa Rosa - absolutely fantastic guy who only does root canals. ...
    That actually sounds about right for my dentist who I know charges in the higher ranges but is very very good.

Ditto on Waterman. I've only had one root canal in my life and he did the work. Very competent guy.

My dentist is Will Brogden in Healdsburg but I doubt he'd be much cheaper.

If your dentist can save your teeth and/or your jawbone it's worth a lot of money. How much depends on whether you can find better prices elsewhere for similar quality work.

Good luck,

-Jeff

29. TopTop #58
    Hot Compost

i went to have a teeth cleaning at Santa Rosa Dental, on College near 101 about 1 1/2 years ago.

i paid the $93, then they rolled out the heavy artillery.

they told me i had gum recession, that i needed "deep scaling", and that the deep scaling appointments would cost $300 each - and that i needed 4 of them - and that if i didn't have them, there was a good chance i would lose the teeth.

PASS on Dr. Elliott & his staff's scare tactics.

i had the teeth cleaning at the UoP dental school in SF & it cost about $100.

to clarify - i think the UoP dental school is a good place for cleaning & diagnosis.

i have had very mixed results there in terms of treatment. I had one student who was brilliant at doing a full-veneer crown.

I had another student who I went to for a routine cavity filling on a tooth on the upper left. 2 days later, when the novacaine & routine soreness had worn off, I realized when I flossed, that I had a new open lesion (cavity) on the same tooth that was supposed to be worked on.

If the student makes a mistake, the instructor is supposed to catch it. Somehow I ended that appointment with an open cavity that did not exist at the beginning of the appointment.

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #59
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Vet to Pet;77704...[FONT=Comic Sans MS:
    I've lived in a variety of places around the country, and paying over $3300 for a bridge seems a 'tad' high to me, based on what I've paid in the past & allowing for fees to have gone up since my last dental visit/work. Do you people realize that there are MANY places where one doesn't have to sell one's home to have dental work done? ...
    I have a couple of comments about dentistry and prices:

First, like Braggi said, good dental (or any health care) is important and worth a lot.

That said, it's also nice to not pay any more than necessary. When major work is needed, it can sometimes make financial sense (if not environmental or local sustainability sense) to travel to other countries (ie Mexico) to have the work done, however who knows what quality of work you will get. There is a thread on WaccoBB.net about non-U.S. dentists.

I have a particular problem with dentist/doctors with just offering/giving you services without telling you in advance what the cost will be. ("It's time for another set of X-rays" or have the dentist give you a quick check up after a cleaning). It seems like it should be treated just like any other service provider where any costs are known up front.

I recently had a cleaning and extensive in-take examination with Dr. Oloph Granath (https://www.stunningsmiles.com/). I was VERY impressed with him and his office. The term "Holistic Dentistry" has been around for a long time, but Dr. Granath takes it to a new level. Of course it's a mercury free office, but it goes a lot further than that. I learnt things about my mouth and oral care that I never knew. And he's not cheap, but again it's important stuff and it may well save you money (or your teeth!) in the long run.

There have been many glowing testamonials for Dr. Granath on this thread already and I need to add my vote for him too! Be sure to let them know that you heard about him from WaccoBB.net!
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2008 at 05:13 PM.

32. TopTop #60
    Vet-To-Pet

As I mentioned in my private replt to you, I wasn't planning to actually travel to Iowa or out of this country to have the dental work done, I was using that as an example of how overpriced professional services (as well as just about EVERYthing) are in this region/town. It's shameful for some of these people to make people believe that they actually need to charge that much money to eek out a meager living---these people are RICH, and don't need to charge the outrageous fees they do. I have taken care of my oral health for the past 30 years, but I never had to arrange for financing in order to have necesssary dental care done. $10,000....give me a break.
    Paula/Vet-To-Pet
    (And, yes, some veterinarians are guilty of this same fee-hiking to meet the peak that the community will tolerate)
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I have a couple of comments about dentistry and prices:

First, like Braggi said, good dental (or any health care) is important and worth a lot.

That said, it's also nice to not pay any more than necessary. When major work is needed, it can sometimes make financial sense (if not environmental or local sustainability sense) to travel to other countries (ie Mexico) to have the work done, however who knows what quality of work you will get. There is a thread on WaccoBB.net about non-U.S. dentists.

I have a particular problem with dentist/doctors with just offering/giving you services without telling you in advance what the cost will be. ("It's time for another set of X-rays" or have the dentist give you a quick check up after a cleaning). It seems like it should be treated just like any other service provider where any costs are known up front.

I recently had a cleaning and extensive in-take examination with Dr. Oloph Granath (https://www.stunningsmiles.com/). I was VERY impressed with him and his office. The term "Holistic Dentistry" has been around for a long time, but Dr. Granath takes it to a new level. Of course it's a mercury free office, but it goes a lot further than that. I learnt things about my mouth and oral care that I never knew. And he's not cheap, but again it's important stuff and it may well save you money (or your teeth!) in the long run.

There have been many glowing testamonials for Dr. Granath on this thread already and I need to add my vote for him too! Be sure to let them know that you heard about him from WaccoBB.net!