Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Varda

Avoid psychotropic drugs!

Hello Wacco friends,

Since I have been a caregiver to someone who now must taper off an anti anxiety drug (for medical reasons) and am witnessing the hell he is going thru, wanted to reach out to this community with an informational warning of the hazards of so many commonly prescribed and used drugs to treat a variety of concerns: anxiety, depression, ADHD, mood disorders, etc.

Most often patients are unaware of what is involved in using the drugs they are prescribed and what it might take to get off these horrible poisons. So if your doctor wants to prescribe you any of these psychiatric drugs and is not telling you that you will get hooked right away and you will go thru hell to get off, beware!!! enough info is available online, do your homework, seek perhaps alternative methods, and do not fall into this trap!

If any one here has some good info on how to manage such tapering, please let us know. We are on out own, my friend's mainstream doctors are not of much use here.

Holiday blessings,

Varda
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    meherc
    Supporting member

Re: Avoid psychotropic drugs!

No, don't avoid psychotropic drugs if you need them. Perhaps many people think you should just pull yourself up by your bootstraps or exercise more - people who have never had a major depression. Or just stop hearing voices or use flower essences to stop them. Psychiatric drugs have helped me and others I know enormously. If you want to get off of them, it's very important to taper off slowly. Slowly means you start with taking half a pill for a week, then a quarter for another week, etc. Depends on your dosage - I am talking about taking a single pilI. have never had a problem with that because I don't abruptly stop them. I am glad you are a happy, stable person - more power to you.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Varda: View Post
    Hello Wacco friends,

Since I have been a caregiver to someone who now must taper off an anti anxiety drug (for medical reasons) and am witnessing the hell he is going thru, wanted to reach out to this community with an informational warning of the hazards of so many commonly prescribed and used drugs to treat a variety of concerns: anxiety, depression, ADHD, mood disorders, etc.

Most often patients are unaware of what is involved in using the drugs they are prescribed and what it might take to get off these horrible poisons. So if your doctor wants to prescribe you any of these psychiatric drugs and is not telling you that you will get hooked right away and you will go thru hell to get off, beware!!! enough info is available online, do your homework, seek perhaps alternative methods, and do not fall into this trap!

If any one here has some good info on how to manage such tapering, please let us know. We are on out own, my friend's mainstream doctors are not of much use here.

Holiday blessings,

Varda
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Dr Pam

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Varda: View Post
    Hello Wacco friends,

Holiday blessings,

Varda
    I assume you are talking about the class of medications known as benzodiazepines that includes Xanax (alprazolam), Valium (diazepam), Ativan (lorazepam), and Klonopin (clonazepam), among others. These medications are highly addictive and difficult to get off, especially without psychological treatment for the anxiety disorder.

I'd recommend a workbook for patients called _Stopping Anxiety Medication_ by Michael W. Otto. All medication taper should be done under the supervision of medically trained personnel, as serious complications such as seizures can occur.

Dr Pam
    Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2014 at 03:10 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    jesswolfe

Quote Posted in reply to the post by meherc: View Post
    No, don't avoid psychotropic drugs if you need them.
    I was to echo that avoiding psychotropic meds isn't a good piece of advice. They are a life saver for those who absolutely need them. I probably wouldn't be here without them.

Given that, its important to know what you are taking. It doesn't matter what drug you take, psycho or otherwise, look it up online! Ask the pharmacist about side effects. There is a lot of info out there about how to properly taper off meds. Its critical to do that properly with psych meds or it could be very uncomfortable for some. And unfortunately not all doctors are savvy about it. People who might be very sensitive to the effects of the meds, coming on or off of them.

Jessica

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

9. TopTop #5
    phooph

Unfortunately our medical system is dedicated to selling drugs, many of which kill a couple hundred thousand patients a year when taken as directed. In the case of psychotropic drugs, they can also kill other people as most of the school shooters have been on these drugs, or in withdrawal from them, which can be even more dangerous. I too, have been a caretaker from someone who quit taking Paxil because it was destroying her brain. She went quite raving mad in the process, but managed eventually to switch to less damaging alternative and come out the better for it. My sister also weaned herself off Paxil, very slowly.

When presented with a patient with depression and other emotional/metal conditions, the doctors prescribe psychotropics because that's all they know. The brainwashing starts in medical school with the curriculum under control of the medical industry. Healthier alternatives are not presented to medical students as they are in training to be the missionaries of the drug industry. If if doesn't make money for the industry it's illegitimate, quackery, ineffective, or whatever name calling they choose to use to scare people off. It's economics, not science. Doctors who do know of alternatives are reluctant to offer them because it can mean a loss of license, and insurance companies won't cover alternatives because they are part of the same system.

I suffered all my life from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) also known as wintertime blues. After menopause I developed post menopausal depression. With this double whammy, mid winter had me thinking fondly of suicide at times. I knew that I could not take SSRI antidepressants due to one short and awful experience but I have been doing research to keep myself healthy for over 45 years so I kept looking for solutions and trying out alternatives. I finally found a combination that works for me. Here it is:

1. I eat a very nutritious diet devoid of sugar and refined foods of all sorts except for the rare treat, usually on holidays. Even then, eating these things makes me feel bad enough that I often regret it. I eat a lot of vegetables, some fresh fruits, and some animal protein. I've done raw but never vegan for an extended time. My long time, raw, vegan nephew blew his head off with a shotgun so don't tell me that an extreme diet will cure depression.
    https://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogs...diets-and.html

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...to-depression/

I make sure my diet is high in omega 3 oils. I use hemp and coconut oil a lot now that they are available at Costco at an affordable price. I also use avocados and avocado oil. Avocados also contain something that stimulates muscle growth and they suppress appetite, so avocados are a good food for dieters. Low fat diets are not good for the brain which is made up in great proportion of fats. Much of it is actually based on cholesterol. https://undergroundwellness.com/is-y...essed-anxious/

I don't smoke and seldom drink, and then very little. Both smoking and drinking seem to be favorite habits of depressed people and may be both a self medication and what maintains their depression. Both practices are known to deplete nutrients essential to good health, including brain health.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/jun01/smokedepress.aspx

https://psychcentral.com/lib/why-alc...nt-mix/0001322

2. Making sure I have good microbiota in my intestines. The wrong gut bugs are known to create depression and anxiety. If I get anxious I do an intestinal cleanse, followed by bigger doses of probiotics. My favorite way to clean out is a product called MagO7, an unstable form of magnesium oxide that releases its O2 once it gets wet and in contact with stomach acid. Most of us are familiar with the stable form known as Milk of Magnesia. I use a good mix of probiotics to keep up the colonies of good gut guys with prebiotics to keep them happy. I throw a lot of stuff in a breakfast smoothie so I am not taking endless pills.

3. Taking Vit. D3. I started taking it for its immune boosting properties, but then learned it was useful for treating depression. I have learned I need to take it year round for depression. I take 4000 IU in the summer, 8000 IU in spring and fall, and 16,000 IU in the winter. I can now tell when I need to up my dosage by whether or not I feel some depression. Your needs may vary. No, I have not dropped dead from Vit D poisoning. My sister was given a bottle of 50,000 IU Vit D3 pills for her bones by her doctor at a women's health clinic so I figured I was well within those limits.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...and-depression

4. I take SAM-e, which can now be had for a reasonable price at Costco. When it's on sale it's about $36 for 60 400mg pills. I get by on one pill a day, but I know some very depressed people have been prescribed as much as four. SAM-e is a good example of a very useful and safe antidepressant kept away from US patients by our drug mafia. It's a prescription drug in many other countries. In the US it's a food supplement. It's a natural cellular enzyme that wains with aging. Like many other biochemicals, some people's bodies make more than do others. It's also good for joint pain. I first began taking it for my back pain and discovered that what it did for my aging brain was even greater. I won't be without it as I turn into a zombie when I don't have it. My mother and her sisters all did that after menopause and I began to suffer from it till I discovered SAM-e.
    https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/art...m-e-depression

5. Misc: I also take choline and inositol, a couple of B vits that often come together in the same pill. B vits in general are good for the brain and some people with ADHD swear by them. Also, DMAE, which can be had in liquid or capsules. DMAE is the compound in fish that makes them "brain food." I began taking it for memory. Also for memory is Bacopa monneirie, an Ayurvedic herb currently being researched as an Alzheimer's treatment. Works good!. Fo-Ti and Gotu Kola Ayurvedic herbs for the brain are good too. All of these are fairly low cost.

Yes, I take a lot of stuff, even more than listed here for all of my body. All of them are designed to maintain my health. Anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drugs are toxic to some degree and have side effects. They may be useful for people unable to handle a more complex management program.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/depre...e-effects.aspx

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anti-an...or-alzheimers/
    Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2014 at 09:49 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Jane Eldridge

I am a licensed MFT and I agree there are too many psychotropic drugs being prescribed with not enough follow up from the Dr. or Psychiatrist to make sure the patient is responding in a positive way.. Of course there are exceptions and a few might benefit....however, the incidence of homicide or suicide is high.

When clients come to me on meds and are clearly "not there" i.e. the drugs help them to leave their bodies so they can't feel....well,, my clients need to be in touch with feelings, (even though unpleasant)..so that I can help them though body based therapy to go to the roots of their trauma, and eventually to have more peace, feel some happiness, and get grounded and centered. I work like a midwife, helping people back into their bodies. If they are not happy with the meds, I support them fully, with the assistance of the Dr. to get them off. Then we do some healing work, and they are able to lead a healthier life without the aid of drugs.

Doing the inner work can be quite a challenge....however, it worth it to learn how to be happy in one's on skin....learning the skills needed to handle whatever challenges that might arise. Also, I teach them how to meditate which I have found to be extremely helpful in my life.

So, my point being, that sometimes medication is appropriate for some. However, I think to say they are all "bad" is a bit extreme. Jane Eldridge MFT

Quote Posted in reply to the post by meherc: View Post
    No, don't avoid psychotropic drugs if you need them. Perhaps many people think you should just pull yourself up by your bootstraps or exercise more - people who have never had a major depression. Or just stop hearing voices or use flower essences to stop them. Psychiatric drugs have helped me and others I know enormously. If you want to get off of them, it's very important to taper off slowly. Slowly means you start with taking half a pill for a week, then a quarter for another week, etc. Depends on your dosage - I am talking about taking a single pilI. have never had a problem with that because I don't abruptly stop them. I am glad you are a happy, stable person - more power to you.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2014 at 09:53 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by: