Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Tiffany McCauley

Looking for somebody to teach me how to can food. Willing to pay.

I'm new to the area and am frustrated with trying to find a canning class. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time of year?

I am willing to pay $10 per session (1 per week?) and will bring all my own supplies as needed. Your home or mine. I'm a female, so prefer female teacher. I know it's not a huge amount of pay, but if you're canning something anyway, this would be a good way to earn a little spending cash in the process.

I have never canned before, so you would be teaching me the very basics. You would also have to tell me what supplies to purchase ahead of time as I currently have none.

Would love to learn how to can meats, fruits and vegetables.

Thanks
    Tiffany
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    bluetarp

Re: Looking for somebody to teach me how to can food. Willing to pay.

If you cannot find an individual to help you, there's a lot of formal classes and guidebooks out there.

This is a good general site from UC-Extension with lots of pdfs of info:
    https://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/Hom..._Preservation/

More general canning guidelines, USDA:
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/p...ions_usda.html

These are the closest classes through UC-Extension:
    https://cesacramento.ucdavis.edu/Mas...s_181/MFP_alt/

Ball's guide to food preservation is also a must-have book. And just as a tip from me (even though I'm a dude ) - follow all directions in established recipes and don't fiddle. It is very tempting to fiddle with recipes like putting in less sugar or less salt etc, but don't do it. People become too ambitious and creative when they are first learning these skills and they make lots of mistakes and ruin good food (and it could become hazardous). Follow established recipes, temperatures, and times from the USDA, the UC-Extension service, or Ball. They have done extensive testing of these recipes and know that they are safe. And if you use a particular type of pectin, also follow their directions for the use of their products too and don't mix-and-match...use only one brand.

Start with something relatively easy like canning tomatoes or making fruit jams or jellies...these are relatively easy to make due to the high acid and high sugar respectively. Be as clean as possible and spend some money on equipment such as a lid lifter, a jar lifter, and racks. These will save you from getting burned and will assure that you have a clean technique since your fingers will be off the jars and lids.

-Shane

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Re: Looking for somebody to teach me how to can food. Willing to pay.

Sebastopol Hardware has had canning classes in the past. Also, there's a book by the Ball Jar company that is very good and inclusive. Wendy Krupnik has had classes. Barrie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tiffany McCauley: View Post
    I'm new to the area and am frustrated with trying to find a canning class. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time of year?

I am willing to pay $10 per session (1 per week?) and will bring all my own supplies as needed. Your home or mine. I'm a female, so prefer female teacher. I know it's not a huge amount of pay, but if you're canning something anyway, this would be a good way to earn a little spending cash in the process.

I have never canned before, so you would be teaching me the very basics. You would also have to tell me what supplies to purchase ahead of time as I currently have none.

Would love to learn how to can meats, fruits and vegetables.

Thanks
    Tiffany

5. Gratitude expressed by: