Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    lindasw

Support the new Community Market coming to the Barlow!

Community Market

Have you been waiting for an opportunity to help out your Community Market? We are going to be moving and cleaning some registers and shelving units this Saturday October 12th from 10:00am-9:00pm. Come on by and lend us a hand. We can't be Community Market without you all !!!!! Muscle and good hearts appreciated!

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Fillie

Re: Support the new Community Market coming to the Barlow!

At the new store, right?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lindasw: View Post
    Community Market

Have you been waiting for an opportunity to help out your Community Market? We are going to be moving and cleaning some registers and shelving units this Saturday October 12th from 10:00am-9:00pm. Come on by and lend us a hand. We can't be Community Market without you all !!!!! Muscle and good hearts appreciated!

4. TopTop #3
    lindasw

yes! at the new store at the barlow!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Fillie: View Post
    At the new store, right?

5. TopTop #4
    lindasw

Re: Feedback for the new Community Market at the Barlow!

Hello wacco-nians!

would love to hear some feedback on the new community market from you all!

it opened last week for its "soft opening" and will be having a grand opening once everything is stocked and in place. would love to hear some feedback from the community on what you think so far.

thanks so much!
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5
    Dustyg

So far just love it. Been there twice, and everyone is SO friendly. Realize there is much to be stocked still, but it's beautiful and will provide a wonderful source for those of us who care about local businesses. I started with Community Market when it was on Morgan St. in Santa Rosa, and am thrilled it's come to Sebastopol where it will be in my neighborhood. Thank you for coming.
    Hello wacco-nians!

it opened last week for its "soft opening" and will be having a grand opening once everything is stocked and in place. would love to hear some feedback from the community on what you think so

thanks so much!
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #6
    Investigative Reporter

Thanks for asking, Community Market :)
    I visited during the Barlow opening and got some beverages. Some thoughts:

It is a beautiful market! Great design and open space and friendly staff.
    `
    Like many of my friends, I WANT to shop there and give most of the money now provide to Whole Foods to you (I also will still shop at Andy;s Pacific MArket and farmers market)

HOWEVER, sorry to say friends, but I cannot afford to pay A LOT more for the same packaged items as I pay at Whole Foods. I can see that the produce is local and reasonably priced, which is GREAT! Beverages are just a little more expensive or comparable, Alvarado great bread same price as elsewhere--great! .

So a few cents more I can live with; but not like 20 or 30% more. I just won't be able to afford buy items like that from you. I would suggest that you price your packaged goods at a similar price as Whole Foods. I know your margins would not be as high, but I think you might make it up in volume I had price shock at stuff like Annies salad dressing. I have a hunch you use an automated markup formula to do this and I would recommend human common sense intervention to compete with the big guy down the road.

The other thing is that I am really looking forward to your hot foods bar. It is a must, and I think you will need it to be excellent and varied an organic to make the store a success. It can be your biggest draw, because we can buy lunch or supper and eat it outside by the Barlow, or take it to go. The sooner you get this going well, the sooner you can start to make money and attract more people.

These two concerns aside, I feel that so many of us want a locally owned natural foods store to survive and thrive. We want to give you our business! Thank you for coming to Sebastpol
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-11-2013 at 12:44 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #7
    lindasw

Re: Support the new Community Market at the Barlow!

Much market friends! we are still in "soft opening" mode. by the time we have settled in and are ready for our grand opening, there will be more products to choose from. . .AND, we are actively doing are best daily to adjust pricing so that we can be as competitive as possible with the rest of our friends in town.

the deli is also finally gearing up! last saturday, the store opened to a trial run with chef jeffrey at the helm with a full-organic salad bar, a glorious pumpkin veggie curry, an amazing chard saute', quinoa, a fresh blue lake/veggie medley, a beautiful chicken stew and three types of pizza and slices, including gluten-free options! we're getting there and its changing daily. also, the customer service desk at the front door has suggestion forms and an entire notebook of your ideas, heart's desires and suggestions to make YOUR community market the best it can be. please stop by, see how we're doing and talk to the staff about what it is that we can do to better serve our community. namaste and xoxoxox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    Thanks for asking, Community Market :)
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-11-2013 at 01:12 PM.

12. TopTop #8
    BManna

Re: Support the new Community Market at the Barlow!

I would like to echo all that Jonathan expressed. Plus re-emphasize my interest in healthful hot foods to go or eat in. For me that means organic (or equivalent or better), gluten & dairy-free, sometimes vegetarian, and no canola oil or sugar.

I was disappointed last Friday night when I went to check out the new store that the prepared foods section was closed down - can it also have more extended hours?

One other piece I will add is that I do not agree with the butcher who explained that he used non-organic quality feeds for young chickens. I appreciate that the animals are given good access to range, etc., but that's not the only concern for health of them, us, and the earth at large. Thanks! I'm glad you're here and I'm looking forward to a prosperous relationship!

Much market friends! we are still in "soft opening" mode. by the time we have settled in and are ready for our grand opening, there will be more products to choose from. . .AND, we are actively doing are best daily to adjust pricing so that we can be as competitive as possible with the rest of our friends in town.

the deli is also finally gearing up! last saturday, the store opened to a trial run with chef jeffrey at the helm with a full-organic salad bar, a glorious pumpkin veggie curry, an amazing chard saute', quinoa, a fresh blue lake/veggie medley, a beautiful chicken stew and three types of pizza and slices, including gluten-free options! we're getting there and its changing daily. also, the customer service desk at the front door has suggestion forms and an entire notebook of your ideas, heart's desires and suggestions to make YOUR community market the best it can be. please stop by, see how we're doing and talk to the staff about what it is that we can do to better serve our community. namaste and xoxoxox
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #9
    tommy

I stopped today for some milk & yogurt, my first visit to your store. I've been looking forward to it. Beautiful store, easy parking! I had a couple of samples of pesto pizza which was great. I was surprised & disappointed that you only carry organic milk - at $4.50/half gallon. I asked the clerk "wasn't there any conventional" and he said "it was against company policy". If this is true, I feel like you're trying to put a trip on me by offering only organic milk.

I always buy organic fruit, and other products, but it unnerves me to pay twice as much for organic milk as conventional (I stopped at Whole Foods Sebastopol and bought a half gal conventional milk for $2.79). There were a handful of customers in your store, Whole Foods was buzzing as usual.

What about a family with kids who doesn't have much money or are on food stamps: do you think they'd buy the $4.50 milk?

If so, I think it's a stupid policy. I get most of my food at Andy's, which carries conventional and organic. Markets (of any kind) offer choices. I've shopped in your JC store on Mendocino, if I'm in the area, and need a snack, or some very unusual herbs etc, and am often surprised as how few people are in the store.

I like your store, much better than Whole Foods, your employees, and that it's employee owned. I think you'd be more successful as a business if you offered people choices.

Hello wacco-nians!

it opened last week for its "soft opening" and will be having a grand opening once everything is stocked and in place. would love to hear some feedback from the community on what you think so far.

thanks so much!
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #10
    Barrie
    Supporting member

I've been to the new Community Market twice. Just like when Community Market moved from Morgan St. to Mendocino, it took me a while to like the new store. The new store is very beautiful. I find it hard to get to, it isn't very well marked from the outside. But it was better the on the 2nd visit than on the first, so I'm sure will have better exterior signage. The good news is that I can now ride my bike to Community Market. Barrie
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-13-2013 at 11:19 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #11
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Now that I've been to the market 3 times, I can get there with no problem. I am very happy to have Community Market so close to where I live, I can bike it or stop by in my car easily. I'm looking forward to having some meals there in the nice little dining area. The staff seem to be universally friendly and helpful. Thanks for opening your new store!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    I've been to the new Community Market twice. Just like when Community Market moved from Morgan St. to Mendocino, it took me a while to like the new store. The new store is very beautiful. I find it hard to get to, it isn't very well marked from the outside. But it was better the on the 2nd visit than on the first, so I'm sure will have better exterior signage. The good news is that I can now ride my bike to Community Market. Barrie

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: