Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

How serious is carrillo about rehab?

On Sept. 28th, prowler/Supervisor Efren Carrillo attended the Sonoma County Harvest Fair Awards ceremony where the wine flowed like wine and the nectar of the gods was in the spotlight. My AA friends tell me the there is no way to heal yourself, no way to complete the program if you're going to place yourself in the middle of a celebration of Demon Alcohol. They just won't do. It, IF, that is, they are serious.

And, personally, I have my doubts as to how serious this guy is. Here's the link to the PD article and photo gallery:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/galler...9.html#slide=3

Question: Are the taxpayers of Sonoma County paying for his stint in rehab?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: How serious is carrillo about rehab?

The question is whether Efren is continuing to drink or not. Merely being in the presence of alcohol is not an indication of anything.

I've always thought that when you are strong enough, it is good to be in the presence of your addiction. Otherwise you are just avoiding it and when the time comes that the opportunity presents itself you may give in to temptation. The real test is to be able to have the opportunity and reliably not choose it.

So I see no problem here. On the other hand, should their be documented evidence that he is continuing to drink (i.e. wine glass in hand, and better/worse yet actually drinking) that's another matter.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    On Sept. 28th, prowler/Supervisor Efren Carrillo attended the Sonoma County Harvest Fair Awards ceremony where the wine flowed like wine and the nectar of the gods was in the spotlight. My AA friends tell me the there is no way to heal yourself, no way to complete the program if you're going to place yourself in the middle of a celebration of Demon Alcohol. They just won't do. It, IF, that is, they are serious.

And, personally, I have my doubts as to how serious this guy is. Here's the link to the PD article and photo gallery:

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    photolite

You should ask your friend how many people at his meetings are bartenders, or waitresses.

6. TopTop #4
    Shandi

Alcohol is NOT a DEMON, but it may be considered so, by AA members, and others who haven't yet learned to take responsibility for their choices. Cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and even cell phones can be blamed for disease, injuries, ruined relationships, and death, but in reality it's the unconscious "user" who creates these aberrations.

... My AA friends tell me the there is no way to heal yourself, no way to complete the program if you're going to place yourself in the middle of a celebration of Demon Alcohol...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-09-2013 at 01:18 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Dorothy Friberg

More elephant farts from the recall Carrillo group

On Sept. 28th, prowler/Supervisor Efren Carrillo attended the Sonoma County Harvest Fair Awards ceremony where the wine flowed like wine and the nectar of the gods...

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Fillie

All the AA members I know, absolutely do not, nor does the sanctioned literature, demonize or blame alcohol. They actually look up to it as a potent force. Members admit they cannot use because of the difference in their response to it compared to a "normal" drinker or a person who has run into problems with alcohol but who does not have the disease and still has power of unaided will and choice and can quit without help or continue with control.

This distinction, between three types of drinkers is clearly made in AA literature. Alcohol use makes an alcoholic's life unmanageable. It is only through extreme consequences and many attempts at control that the alcoholic is able to decide to get the help and support necessary to maintain sobriety/recovery.The other 11 steps in recovery stress taking absolute responsibility for behaviors evidenced both during active drinking stages as well as back through one's life and continuing on for a lifetime of vigilent self-work.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Alcohol is NOT a DEMON, but it may be considered so, by AA members, and others who haven't yet learned to take responsibility for their choices. Cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and even cell phones can be blamed for disease, injuries, ruined relationships, and death, but in reality it's the unconscious "user" who creates these aberrations.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-10-2013 at 01:52 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    rossmen

supervisors do have medical insurance as part of their compensation, as well as sick days. i guess carrillo chose the kaiser plan, since that where he says he goes for continued treatment. the kaiser outpatient program for alcohol addiction has a rep for being treatment lite, with a high failure rate and lots of active users going through the motions.

13. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    supervisors do have medical insurance as part of their compensation,...
    This is how it should be, IMO. Not only is it a standard employee benefit, but the job of Supervisor puts the employee at an elevated risk of becoming (or exposing) an alcoholic. Between the frequent business/social events and the above average pressures of the job, its an occupational hazard!

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Webb Pierce

Shandi. You can include guns among those inanimate objects, cigarettes, alcohol,
    drugs and cell phones you mentioned.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #10
    Dixon

...Cigarettes, alcohol, drugs...can be blamed...but in reality it's the unconscious "user" who creates these aberrations.
    And, not to harp on it too much, but let's remember that talking as if cigarettes and alcohol aren't drugs is a very unconscious way of using the language.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: