Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Wacco social gathering at Hopmonk was fun!

Hello folks,

I want to thank Tom Lynch for his generosity and graciousness at the Wacco social gathering last night at the Hopmonk.

I also want to thank everyone who showed up and shared some laughs, food, and drinks: Bruce Ward, Colleen Fernald, Shepherd Bliss, Tom Lynch, Dixon, Barry Chertov, Bob, Sara S, myself (Edward Mendoza). I apologize if I forgot anyone's name.

It was a fun, casual meeting where everyone had the pleasure of seeing in person other Wacco folks whom they only knew electronically. It's entertaining to be able to put a face to a name (or an Internet handle), especially after several years of only having an online acquaintance/friendship.

It lasted about 2 hours and a few of us hung on a little longer afterwards. I only had two dark beers (Death & Taxes and another brand) so I didn't have to stagger and stumble for several blocks to get to where I parked my car, a safe distance away from the Hopmonk.

We need to do this more often. I heard a rumor from a reliable source that there might be a Wacco Picnic or something coming up soon. But I wouldn't mind another round at the Hopmonk!

Edward

Yes, it was fun to get together and I'm glad we figured it all out! Next time we'll get the Middle East sorted out.
    I heard the same rumor about a picnic coming up

Cheers!
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 08-24-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: Wacco social gathering at Hopmonk was fun!

Ditto, Edward! And if we have a picnic, I'll make a big cake; didn't think I could bring my own food in to Hopmonk.......

Sara
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    Hello folks,

I want to thank Tom Lynch for his generosity and graciousness at the Wacco social gathering last night at the Hopmonk.

I also want to thank everyone who showed up and shared some laughs, food, and drinks: Bruce Ward, Colleen Fernald, Shepher Bliss, Tom Lynch, Dixon, Barry Chertov, Bob, Sara S, myself (Edward Mendoza). I apologize if I forgot anyone's name.

It was a fun, casual meeting where everyone had the pleasure of seeing in person other Wacco folks whom they only knew electronically. It's entertaining to be able to put a face to a name (or an Internet handle), especially after several years of only having an online acquaintance/friendship.

It lasted about 2 hours and a few of us hung on a little longer afterwards. I only had two dark beers (Death & Taxes and another brand) so I didn't have to stagger and stumble for several blocks to get to where I parked my car, a safe distance away from the Hopmonk.

We need to do this more often. I heard a rumor from a reliable source that there might be a Wacco Picnic or something coming up soon. But I wouldn't mind another round at the Hopmonk!

Edward

Yes, it was fun to get together and I'm glad we figured it all out! Next time we'll get the Middle East sorted out.

Cheers!
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 08-25-2013 at 02:39 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    handy

Re: Wacco social gathering at Hopmonk was fun!

Yes, yes. Such a pleasure to meet and chat face to face. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to all, and let's do it again!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    Hello folks,

I also want to thank everyone who showed up and shared some laughs, food, and drinks: Bruce Ward, Colleen Fernald, Shepherd Bliss, Tom Lynch, Dixon, Barry Chertov, Bob, Sara S, myself (Edward Mendoza). I apologize if I forgot anyone's name.

Cheers!
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 08-26-2013 at 01:09 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Monthly WaccoBB Salon?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    Barry, SaraS, Edward, Andy, Shephard, Colleen, Dixon and I had a very nice gathering at Hopmonk yesterday for a beer and some great munchies...along with some very civil discourse on the future of mankind.

We should start a monthly WaccoBB Salon at Hopmonk. (Sorry you couldn't make this one Henry :).
    I've been thinking about a monthly WaccoBB salon for a while! If you'd be interested in coming to one, please click gratitude.
    Barry

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Monthly WaccoBB Salon?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I've been thinking about a monthly WaccoBB salon for a while! If you'd be interested in coming to one, please click gratitude.
    Barry
    I'm delighted to see that 18 people indicated they are interested in a monthly salon! Since I just set up our Annual Picnic for Sunday, Oct 6th at Ragle, I'll hold off starting the Salons til November. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a special guest at each one and a bit more focused conversation along with the playful banter.

Thanks again to Tom Lynch for buying the first round, and to Sara (Auntie Wacco) and others who bought snacks the table!

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #6
    photolite

Invite Efren to be your first special guest.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I'm thinking it would be fun to have a special guest at each one and a bit more focused conversation along with the playful banter.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-29-2013 at 01:38 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    Invite Efren to be your first special guest.
    No need to invite him; he'll be coming through the window, invited or not.

13. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

14. TopTop #8
    Shepherd

It is about time that we got some humor into this serious matter. I understand that Mr. Carrillo's attorneys are studying the "Twinkie defense" that was used to defend the killer of Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone. If you eat or drink something you can blame what you do on that, gather your allies who also eat or drink (or have drunk) the same things, and not have to face the consequences. :)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    No need to invite him; he'll be coming through the window, invited or not.

15. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

16. TopTop #9

...So then by your humor rational, If someone believed that Efren was the victim of entrapment by a vindictive love interest, It would be OK for them to make rude jokes about said women?
    I think that would be sick, but don't let that stop you.
    Tom

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    It is about time that we got some humor into this serious matter. I understand that Mr. Carrillo's attorneys are studying the "Twinkie defense" that was used to defend the killer of Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone. If you eat or drink something you can blame what you do on that, gather your allies who also eat or drink (or have drunk) the same things, and not have to face the consequences. :)

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    sebastacat

While the Twinkie Defense has certainly been tried, tested and proven successful, I thought E.C.'s defense was going to go something like this:

"At that point, everything just became a blur....."

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #11
    photolite

If you're the sender it's humor, if you're the receiver it's name calling.
    Not that there isn't room for humor but this is just a cheap shot, and more banal than funny.

21. TopTop #12
    jbox

OK, Shepherd, I heard a rumor you and Edward Mendoza and Sebastacat have been getting together and smoking banana peels. And I want you to know that's no excuse for irrational thinking in the Efren case.

22. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

23. TopTop #13
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Wait, why didn't I get invited to the banana peel party?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    OK, Shepherd, I heard a rumor you and Edward Mendoza and Sebastacat have been getting together and smoking banana peels. And I want you to know that's no excuse for irrational thinking in the Efren case.

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #14
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Wait, why didn't I get invited to the banana peel party?
    As reactonary old conservatives, it's still an old boy network for these fellas.

26. TopTop #15
    sebastacat

Okay, jbox....I confess!

Now, what's your excuse?

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #16
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sebastacat: View Post
    Okay, jbox....I confess!

Now, what's your excuse?
    Thank you, cat, for fessing up. I hope you feel better. But I must take exception to your insinuation that I and others who want to wait until the facts come out to decide what is the best course for Efren to take are somehow irrational thinkers. Au contraire, this is the only eminently rational way to approach this bizarre incident. A rush to judgment without knowing the facts on the other hand, well, surely you see the logic in my argument?

29. Gratitude expressed by:

30. TopTop #17
    sebastacat

jbox.....

I didn't "insinuate" anything. In fact, I didn't even use that word. You did.

I guess in the end, we two passionate Waccobbians will just have to agree to disagree -- passionately? Yes. Politely? I hope so.

By the way, don't EVER leave a plastic bag full of bananas in the back of your car and forget about it. I guarantee you, if you do, you will have NEVER smelled anything so foul and putrid in your entire life!
    Thank you, cat, for fessing up. I hope you feel better. But I must take exception to your insinuation that I and others who want to wait until the facts come out to decide what is the best course for Efren to take are somehow irrational thinkers. Au contraire, this is the only eminently rational way to approach this bizarre incident. A rush to judgment without knowing the facts on the other hand, well, surely you see the logic in my argument?
    Last edited by sebastacat; 09-04-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: addition

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: