Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Efren's back, and I support him.

I like apologies, and Efren’s statement to the Board of Supervisors is an unqualified, no-excuses apology. This is rare from a human being. From a politician it’s exhilarating fresh air.

I liked his statement when I read it; when I watched the video I was moved to tears. I completely support the effort of this young man to put right his mistakes, to heal himself from a challenging illness, and to continue to serve his constituency as an able and intelligent Supervisor.

If the court appearance on the 30th leads to criminal charges and conviction of a felony, of course, he will have to resign. I don’t believe that he committed such a crime, so I expect our options and his to be open.

I advocate the option of repair, not only because I care about Efren Carrillo, but also because I care about our community and our county. The prospect of a malicious and wasteful recall or any other sustained pressure to force him to resign already darkens our social interactions.

What kind of community do we want to build? Let it not be a community where it’s considered fun to tear each other down. Let it be a community where we give each other a hand up, again and again.

Let’s build a community where we recognize our frailty as human beings, where it is safe to acknowledge mistakes and repair the damage, where we can trust that we are each doing our best to bring our insight and skills to the challenges we face together.

I’m aware of the importance of Efren Carrillo to the Hispanic community, and the disappointment of Hispanic youth at his behavior. I’d like our young people to see not an idol struck down after a breach, but an imperfect hero correcting his errors and rising to serve ever better the people who chose him.

Efren faces difficult challenges. I hope that we offer our strength toward his success in meeting them, to our satisfaction and to his.

Name:  thunderwo-bigriver.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  52.1 KB
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    arthunter

Re: Efren's back, and I support him.

Beautifully stated, sandoak ...

Really, what kind of world do we want to live in? A world where we further injure those that have made mistakes or a world where we help them to recover from those weak moments? There is so much talk of compassion and love in this community but talk is just talk without action to back it up ... It is easy to overpower one who has been publicly shamed, point the finger, make assumptions, but the test of strength and character in my book, has to do with the denial of those impulses ...

Yes, if Efren is convicted of a crime then he must step down ... or if one can point to his obvious lack of judgement while on the job ( not to include personal disagreements about his political policy ) then he should be replaced ... but I think enough people on this forum have pointed to the disease properties of alcoholism to consider this a serious diagnosis ...

Also, I too am confused by the lack of a blood alcohol test and the statement by the police that he wasn't that drunk ... as Barry stated, there's something fishy about that ...

Here's a wonderful story about an African tribe and how they deal with crime ....

https://worldmathaba.net/items/2078-...ls-with-crimes
    Last edited by Barry; 08-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

4. TopTop #3

Thank you for this story: beautiful and so civilized. Go to this link, folks. It's inspiring.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    Here's a wonderful story about an African tribe and how they deal with crime ....

https://worldmathaba.net/items/2078-...ls-with-crimes

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    juna

You said it all so well.
    Thank you.

Now let's move on.
    We all have our own lives to live.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sandoak: View Post
    I like apologies, and Efren’s statement to the Board of Supervisors is an unqualified, no-excuses apology. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 08-26-2013 at 01:00 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    terijane

Thank you, Sandoak....
    Our lesson from this is forgiveness and support. We need to model this for children so they can take care of us and the planet with wisdom and compassion.
    Teri
    Loving & Learning Center

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sandoak: View Post
    I like apologies, and Efren’s statement to the Board of Supervisors is an unqualified, no-excuses apology. This is rare from a human being. From a politician it’s exhilarating fresh air.

I liked his statement when I read it; when I watched the video I was moved to tears. I completely support the effort of this young man to put right his mistakes, to heal himself from a challenging illness, and to continue to serve his constituency as an able and intelligent Supervisor....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-26-2013 at 12:43 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Imagery

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree.
    He has been nothing but a shill for big business. His decisions have always reflected their desires, no matter how bad it would turn out for his constituents. It's interesting to note that he indicates he can't blame his alcohol problem for any of the decisions he's made as a Supervisor...
    ...which leads me to believe what about his ability to represent his constituency?
    Anyone remember back to the Dutra plant? Remember his cozying up to them at parties held to celebrate their victory over the people who opposed them, pointing to their HORRID environmental record? Let's hope that hasn't been forgotten. Anyone remember Preservation Ranch? What exactly were they intending to preserve, other than possibly the wealth of the chosen few?
    He tries to brush everything under the rug, and say he's going to change. He's a leopard...who can't change his spots.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7

Imagery, It sounds to me like you would like to have Efren recalled strictly on his policy decisions, even if the current scandal had not occurred. You simply don't support him. That's honest and fair.
    Tom

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree.
    He has been nothing but a shill for big business. His decisions have always reflected their desires, no matter how bad it would turn out for his constituents. It's interesting to note that he indicates he can't blame his alcohol problem for any of the decisions he's made as a Supervisor...
    ...which leads me to believe what about his ability to represent his constituency?
    Anyone remember back to the Dutra plant? Remember his cozying up to them at parties held to celebrate their victory over the people who opposed them, pointing to their HORRID environmental record? Let's hope that hasn't been forgotten. Anyone remember Preservation Ranch? What exactly were they intending to preserve, other than possibly the wealth of the chosen few?
    He tries to brush everything under the rug, and say he's going to change. He's a leopard...who can't change his spots.

13. Gratitude expressed by: